• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] I'd like to advance a wild generalisation: SJs hate metal

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I've noticed that whenever an SJ and metal are in the same room, one soon leaves.

Now I'm not a huge metal fan, but I can appreciate it. But every SJ I meet seems to hate it, the heavier the more so. Especially STJs.

Now I'm not someone to believe his own bullshit before testing his hypothesis, which is why I post this. So please SJs, prove me wrong.

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
SJs seem to prefer lumber or other raw materials.

am_i_evil666

SJs do not like music at all :devil:
now really, I don't know many SJs who like " tr00 methull ", but i know some who like rock music.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I want names, addresses, phone numbers and eating habits.

What bands do they like?

am_i_evil666

Romania:hi:!! do you know where it is on the map????

well.....let's list some bands for you :

Metallica
Guns'n roses
Rammstein
Hatebreed
Pink Floyd
The Cure
Radiohead
HIM

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
I don't like metal much. I don't even listen to music much.
I do like music with good tunes though. Metal is too loud for me and it stimulates too much. I listen to music when I am tired or when I need to calm down.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
ESFJ with "Cemetery Gates" by Pantera as my ringtone. :headphne: I am not a huge metal guy, but I like some heavy music. Queens of the Stone Age, for instance, and lots of '70s rock, like Zep, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Queen, etc. Old-school Metallica.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
One of my best friends is an ISTJ and some of his favorite bands are Trivium, Dethklok, Lamb of God and Cradle of Filth. He enjoys the powerful gutteralness of the growling and screaming.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
Well that's wrapped up earlier than usual, good night everybody!

I only got this idea yesterday when a suspected STJ at work couldn't handle Meshuggah being played. And as the only real exercise I get is jumping to conclusions I thought I'd share it with my MBTI brethren.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well that's wrapped up earlier than usual, good night everybody!

I only got this idea yesterday when a suspected STJ at work couldn't handle Meshuggah being played. And as the only real exercise I get is jumping to conclusions I thought I'd share it with my MBTI brethren.

Who really handles listening to Meshuggah anyway? It's not exactly easy music, which tends to need several listens, and ideally you should be a musician to appreciate it. It's music most people would not appreciate, really. I personally have a lot of respect for those guys, and I kind of have a goal of liking them some day, and I appreciate the I EP somewhat, but really I am busy challenging myself with other musical genres at the moment.

Fishfighter

MBTI Type
INTP
I've noticed that whether or not they're STJ, few people enjoy Slayer's "Show No Mercy" album, which is a shame because "The Antichrist", "Die by the Sword" and "Fight 'till Death" are three of the best songs ever written. :(

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Here's a favorite band list by an ESXJ:

"A Perfect Circle, AC/DC, Alice in Chains, Black Label Society, Black Sabbath, Cavalera Conspiracy, Children of Bodom, Damageplan, Def Leppard, Disturbed, Godsmack, Gojira, Guns N Roses, In Flames, In This Moment, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Machine Head, Megadeth, Motley Crue, Motorhead, Mudvayne, Otep, Ozzy Osbourne, Pantera, Pearl Jam, Queen, Rage Against the Machine, Sepultura, Serj Tankian, Slayer, Slipknot, Soulfly, Static X, Stone Sour, System of a Down, Tool, Type O Negative, White Zombie and much, much more. I love all types of metal!!!"

You decide.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
There might be differences between the US and Europe? Isn't the metal scene much larger and more important in Europe?

TheLivingCouch

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm not a fan of metal, especially the really heavy stuff. I can't stand listening to it for the life of me. I do love to listen to music though. The thing with me though is that I don't like bands so much as I do songs. I have a bunch of different bands on my playlist just for that one song they did that I liked. I'm strange like that I guess. I mostly like classic rock and assorted other music from the 60's 70's and 80's. Most of the more recent stuff I just can't stomach. There may be a song here or there that catches my interest but most of it just doesn't interest me. Classical is good to but it's not something I like to listen to all the time. Country and hip hop don't do anything for me either.

I think though that musical taste it just a result of one's type. Any number of factors can contribute. A lot of it may have to do with what your parents listened to growing up, geographical location, tastes of your peers ect. I know that my parents listened to classic rock when I was young and I picked up on that. My mother's interest have changed, but my father and I still share a very similar taste in music. He still cant stand the disco stuff that I like though. :D

Dizzy

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I doubt if there is any relation between personality & music style.
I think your environment has a lot to do with it.
For one thing I love music and listen to it all the time...

A quick grab of my genres & Artists
Soul
Blues
Hiphop (Dr. Dre, Wutang clan, GZA, Ice Cube, Guru)
Radiohead
Jazz (Miles, Baker, Brubeck, Saint Germain)
The Cure, Artic monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, Red Hot Chili Peper

Peace out

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I like metal

I like System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, & others (particularly while I was a teenager in the 90s) but there is a limit to the kind of metal I can take. Once it ceases being "music," and becomes a lot of screaming and thrashing feedback with no melody or composition , I can't stand it.

Wow, do I sound like an SJ. Now that I just wrote that out I know what you were talking about. You know what they say...if the music's too loud, you're too old.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I doubt if there is any relation between personality & music style.

I concur.

With one exception - I suspect most Ns don't like country music.