• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] I'd like to advance a wild generalisation: SJs hate metal

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It certainly has a rythm/beat I think what youre saying is that it doesn't typically have a strong enough melodic element.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hear hear! I'm off the opinion that if Beethoven were alive today, he'd make Melodeath and Power Metal. The electric instrument with him would be amazing.

I second that.

In fact, Power Metal and Classical are two of my favorite genres of music. I definitely believe they bear a lot of similarities (to my ears, at least), but as I'm not familiar with specific terminology regarding elements of music in general, I can't further elaborate, really.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like some metal but the heavier it gets, the less I will like it.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like some metal but the heavier it gets, the less I will like it.

The more instrumentally complex, the better, to me.

But a lot of the vocals that are essentially growling in-time with the music... well... they just remind me of Cookie Monster. (vox like that tend to be more in the gore/grindcore musical genre than actual metal.. but it all sounds the same to a lot of people who aren't into varying subgenres, etc.)

And, I mean... Cookie Monsters is epic.
...But he is not not metals. :D

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The more instrumentally complex, the better, to me.

But a lot of the vocals that are essentially growling in-time with the music... well... they just remind me of Cookie Monster. (vox like that tend to be more in the gore/grindcore musical genre than actual metal.. but it all sounds the same to a lot of people who aren't into varying subgenres, etc.)

And, I mean... Cookie Monsters is epic.
...But he is not not metals. :D

I agree and lol@ Cookie monster analogy.

Flush

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
When I heard metal for the first time, it was just noise. I was unable to discern any musical elements at all.

However, with time, it grew on me, and I found myself liking it after a while. It wasn't noise anymore. It was music, and it was good. Very good.
Problem:
What used to be heavy wasn't heavy after a while. I needed more. I needed heavier. I found genres like death metal and black metal and my life suddenly had meaning. There was so much to listen to, so many complex patterns, ah!

Drums, guitar, bass, vocals (no, it doesn't matter whether or not you understand what they're singing, vocals are like an additional instrument), sometimes keyboards. When all of these are played skillfully simultaneously, whoaah...

I've been listening to metal for about three years, and I've already hit rock bottom when it comes to brutality. When you've gotten used to bands like Anaal Nathrakh and Brain Drill, you've explored the spectrum, and at this point my taste in music was "stabilized".

Today, I listen to all types of metal. I like it's because it's so stimulating. So is classical music. That's why I love Beethoven, too.
My mom really doesn't know what to think. Modern shit noise and 19th century symphonies. :shock:

earthangel

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm an ISFJ and I love all kinds of music. Not sure about metal, no Metallica or Pantera, generic well known stuff. But of music where screaming is involved: Born of Osiris, Escape the Fate, From the Shallows, All That Remains, Alesana, The Faceless, Underoath, Thrice, Winds of Plague, stuff like that. Plus bluegrass, rap, pop, techno, everything.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
An another SJ here saying that "metal is okay". :rock:

What I love in the music are the emotions I get from listening to it. To me, lyrics are meaningless, they are there just to support the vocal melody.

The best song in the history of Eurovision:
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66CjGbEeB3M&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

So I prefer this neo-classical/folk/celtic most of the time, with soundtrack music (Hans Zimmer rocks!!), but I also listen to a wider range of music, including

- Metal (Rammstein, Rob Zombie, Disturbed, etc)
- Rock (RHCP, Franz Ferdinand..)
- Rap (Well, maybe just Eminem)
- Reggae (but only finnish)
- Trance/Techno (Oakenfold, Darude, Bomfunk MC, Juno Reactor)

But what I don't listen to is Po(o)p, blues/jazz and R n' B. And Country, of course.

I'd say this metal thing would rather be E/I thingy, than non-SJ thingy.

earthangel

MBTI Type
ISFJ
When I heard metal for the first time, it was just noise. I was unable to discern any musical elements at all.

However, with time, it grew on me, and I found myself liking it after a while. It wasn't noise anymore. It was music, and it was good. Very good.
Problem:
What used to be heavy wasn't heavy after a while. I needed more. I needed heavier. I found genres like death metal and black metal and my life suddenly had meaning. There was so much to listen to, so many complex patterns, ah!

Drums, guitar, bass, vocals (no, it doesn't matter whether or not you understand what they're singing, vocals are like an additional instrument), sometimes keyboards. When all of these are played skillfully simultaneously, whoaah...

I've been listening to metal for about three years, and I've already hit rock bottom when it comes to brutality. When you've gotten used to bands like Anaal Nathrakh and Brain Drill, you've explored the spectrum, and at this point my taste in music was "stabilized".

Today, I listen to all types of metal. I like it's because it's so stimulating. So is classical music. That's why I love Beethoven, too.
My mom really doesn't know what to think. Modern shit noise and 19th century symphonies. :shock:

That is my exact reasoning. Metal is so impressive once you start to listen to it. It became impossible for me not to appreciate it. I have friends in metal bands and that genre of music takes some serious mathematics and effort.

My mom thinks I'm satanic for listening to it, so ur lucky ur mom is just impartial. I don't know how many times she's wanted to get me to light a candle in church or be anointed with something or other lol.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My mom thinks I'm satanic for listening to it, so ur lucky ur mom is just impartial. I don't know how many times she's wanted to get me to light a candle in church or be anointed with something or other lol.

Well tell her that satanism is just an ideology, and not an evil one. "Do unto others like they do unto you". That's the core of their philosophy... how is that evil? :huh: Even though heavy metal has little to do with the actual satanism. :D

earthangel

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well tell her that satanism is just an ideology, and not an evil one. "Do unto others like they do unto you". That's the core of their philosophy... how is that evil? :huh: Even though heavy metal has little to do with the actual satanism. :D

My mom is ethnic and wouldn't even slightly understand that lol. If its a logical argument and not hers, that makes it even MORE satanic and it makes me a bastard child. :doh:

Yeah metal really doesn't have much to do with satanism at all. IF at all. Trust me, I've tried to explain these things and it makes it all worse.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Erm, I'm an ISTJ and I love metal - the harder the better. In fact, my favourite music genres are industrial and goth! Nothing is harder than industrial. It's great to let out any aggression and generally makes me feel alive.
I hate most mainstream music unless it has a catchy tune (probably one in a minor key). Sooo boring.
I've noticed I like a good beat. I can be in a club totally dancing to a heavy dance beat (with literally nothing else playing) and the only people dancing will be me and the DJ.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got a lot of my music tastes (metal) from a good friend, who just so happens to be ISTJ. He dresses like a metal head and always listens to it.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I strongly detest metal. I also dislike rap, hip-hop, and country, and most folk.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like hard rock and metal. :D

FerventFox

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As an ESTJ, I like hard rock but do not like metal. And it depends on the hard rock. Some is good; some is bad.

I'm slowly evolving in music taste however - too many metal/screamo friends! :blush:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I strongly detest metal. I also dislike rap, hip-hop, and country, and most folk.

Really? I hate folk as well.

But then I'm not talking about a music genre, just people in general. Aren't they the worst?