• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] I'd like to advance a wild generalisation: SJs hate metal

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Indeed I get that a lot of people dislike cheesy and some forms of extreme and loud metal, but there is tons of metal that is neither, it's just that it is not as visible. Take a band like Agalloch and their The Mantle album; it's just relaxing and atmospheric. Riverside and especially there Out of Myself album is just very emotional, melancholic and relaxing. Blackwater Park by Opeth is another modern metal classic, and it is quite loud at times, but has tons of mellow parts and is very sophisticated and doesn't sound cheesy at all. Another Swedish metal masterpiece is Remedy Lane by Pain of Salvation, which is intensely emotional, dynamic and melodic. The metal genre really has many masterpieces, but for some reason many are rather prejudiced towards the genre and doesn't really know about some of the more sophisticated subgenres.

This is true and thanks for the suggestions. I think of metal as the opposite of relaxing and mellow, so I'm surprised those adjectives applied to metal music. But I've always loved Stairway to Heaven, so I can see what you mean about mellow parts.

Jae Rae

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I concur.

With one exception - I suspect most Ns don't like country music.
Country music can go die in a hole.

I agree with people who have been saying that music and type have little correlation. I have two SJ friends - one of them (ISTJ) hates music except for classical, and even that's only when she's studying (though, to be fair, that is about two-three hours a day), and the other (ISFJ) loves anything slightly rock-/pop-/metal-ish. Not the hard stuff, but the mainstream version of metal.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
i find that the Ti function is somewhat drawn to metal. ISTP's (ESTP's) and SOME INTP's and ENTP's are draw to metal. I find that SJ's are driven to rhythmic lyrical type of things. So they might like metal. Everyone likes different music for different things. I like metal. I like jazz.

I know a lot of SJ's that like classic rock.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know a lot of SJ's that like classic rock.
I probably only like it because my dad always played it on the stereo/radio when I was growing up. Also, it's nothing too "edgy", there's no screaming/growling, and there's no electronic beat machine...

Funny that people mentioned Opeth, because I remember finding out about that band, and I thought their music was great--until the singer started singing. That was probably the only reason I couldn't get into them. Screaming/growling is still too "out there" for me, I guess. :blush:

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I concur.

With one exception - I suspect most Ns don't like country music.

Oh, I love country. :)

My boyfriend's an ISFJ and likes the more "pop" metal kind of music. He likes a lot of screaming as long as there's a good melody/beat to it.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
One of my best friends is an ISTJ and some of his favorite bands are Trivium, Dethklok, Lamb of God and Cradle of Filth. He enjoys the powerful gutteralness of the growling and screaming.

Once again, I believe I'm being mentioned here, as I had a leave from the forums for some time.

I like melodic death metal. That is, I like the music if I can somewhat understand the lyrics. If they cannot be understood at all, I am not interested. Examples: Killswitch Engage, Dethklok, Trivium, Arch Enemy, The Agonist, Five Finger Death Punch, Underoath, etc. If a chick does the growling, the better (as long as the band supporting them doesn't blow.)

Country is Satan.

However, I do like many other genres of music. Classical: Bach, Vivaldi, Schumann, Rock: Metallica, Live, Demons & Wizards, Ozzy, Judas Priest, esp. The Offspring, Rapcore: Hollywood Undead, Pop: t.A.t.U, Electronic: Rob Dougan, Pogo's Alice, and I tolerate a lot of other music. In particular the Brothers listen to music I don't mind hearing, but wouldn't actively listen to myself.

I don't think that there is much, type-wise, that could explain this in-depth enough.

Now, metal, in a non-musical fashion, I'm not terribly fond of, lol.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Whether an SJ will like a metal song depends on if the music in question is popular/well known or not.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hate the growling. Can enjoy rock. Love the violin.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Hmm... that's a bit sterotypical don't you think, because I know alot of people who do not care for metal (including moi). Not everything can be correlated with type. BTW 6, your initial response was exactly what I was thinking when I first read the thread.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Love metal and other forms of heavy and agressive music, however it has to have a strong melodic element.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My ISTJ likes classic rock and blues but no, he hates heavy/death/thrash etc metal. He gets a distinct pout on if forced to sit in a room with it on, grits his teeth in an effort to be polite but always ends up unable to resist commenting on how he doesn't understand the appeal of what seems to him 'just noise'.

No, I can't say as I've ever met an SJ that liked metal either... STJ's especially seem to be more blues/rock and classical/jazz people. They don't like metal but also don't like sorta 'inane' pop music (as my ISTJ calls it). They like things that have definite tunes, melody and accompaniment, beginning, middle, end, verses, chorus, etc.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
^I agree with your ISTJ in that I can identify with the appreciating structure and a distinctive tune/melody in my music and metal/hardcore isn't an exception.. Grind and death metal (seems a few people don't know what true death metal sounds like; killswitch engage is definitely not an example), I'm not into it typically. It's too chatoic and mostly covering a bunch of chords in as little time possible and hitting the bass drum and snare as fast as you can, not much by way of melody going on. I can appreciate the technicalities of some of that stuff but there's nothing distinctive I can latch on to.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
SJs seem to like rhythmic and lyrical, but thats just from what ive noticed

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
For myself, as I can't speak for others; I'm a rythm fan for sure. Been playing drums since I was about 10. Lyrics are important but unless the lyrics are just atrocious, a good song is a good song and normally the lyrics don't dictate that for me. I guess I'm saying I can have a top favorite song but it not necessarily be one that I can lyrically identify with. Some people listen to music for that sole factor.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I think SJs also hate Pringles, unless they're fashionable, in which case they love Pringles.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
SJs seem to like rhythmic and lyrical, but thats just from what ive noticed
But I'm a natural at recognizing chords, and much better at making up a chord sequence than at making up a melody... :confused: Of course, you're talking about what we like, and I'm talking about what I'm capable of, but it still seems relevant.

Rhythm, yes, is also something I really like to dwell on. I make "noises" to a rhythm probably more often than humming a tune.

oasispaw

MBTI Type
isfj
I think SJs also hate Pringles, unless they're fashionable, in which case they love Pringles.

pringles are the new ruffles!

edit: oh, in response to op... i can handle some metal, but i don't like the vomit voices. my boyfriend likes it and i try to not complain. stuff that's too chaotic/dischordal/muddled makes my brain shut off. it's more oppressive than stimulating for me.

oasispaw

MBTI Type
isfj
What would you say the biggest factor is concerning whether an SJ will like or not like a metal song?

i'd say, if it less of an assault on my ears/brain, i like it more. i like technical metal, but the noisy shit sucks, like the kind that sounds like compression brakes or heavy machinery.

i like for the music i listen to to be pleasing to my senses.