User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Indeed I get that a lot of people dislike cheesy and some forms of extreme and loud metal, but there is tons of metal that is neither, it's just that it is not as visible. Take a band like Agalloch and their The Mantle album; it's just relaxing and atmospheric. Riverside and especially there Out of Myself album is just very emotional, melancholic and relaxing. Blackwater Park by Opeth is another modern metal classic, and it is quite loud at times, but has tons of mellow parts and is very sophisticated and doesn't sound cheesy at all. Another Swedish metal masterpiece is Remedy Lane by Pain of Salvation, which is intensely emotional, dynamic and melodic. The metal genre really has many masterpieces, but for some reason many are rather prejudiced towards the genre and doesn't really know about some of the more sophisticated subgenres.
    This is true and thanks for the suggestions. I think of metal as the opposite of relaxing and mellow, so I'm surprised those adjectives applied to metal music. But I've always loved Stairway to Heaven, so I can see what you mean about mellow parts.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    I concur.

With one exception - I suspect most Ns don't like country music.
    Country music can go die in a hole.

I agree with people who have been saying that music and type have little correlation. I have two SJ friends - one of them (ISTJ) hates music except for classical, and even that's only when she's studying (though, to be fair, that is about two-three hours a day), and the other (ISFJ) loves anything slightly rock-/pop-/metal-ish. Not the hard stuff, but the mainstream version of metal.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i find that the Ti function is somewhat drawn to metal. ISTP's (ESTP's) and SOME INTP's and ENTP's are draw to metal. I find that SJ's are driven to rhythmic lyrical type of things. So they might like metal. Everyone likes different music for different things. I like metal. I like jazz.

I know a lot of SJ's that like classic rock.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    I know a lot of SJ's that like classic rock.
    I probably only like it because my dad always played it on the stereo/radio when I was growing up. Also, it's nothing too "edgy", there's no screaming/growling, and there's no electronic beat machine...

Funny that people mentioned Opeth, because I remember finding out about that band, and I thought their music was great--until the singer started singing. That was probably the only reason I couldn't get into them. Screaming/growling is still too "out there" for me, I guess.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    I concur.

With one exception - I suspect most Ns don't like country music.
    Oh, I love country.

My boyfriend's an ISFJ and likes the more "pop" metal kind of music. He likes a lot of screaming as long as there's a good melody/beat to it.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    One of my best friends is an ISTJ and some of his favorite bands are Trivium, Dethklok, Lamb of God and Cradle of Filth. He enjoys the powerful gutteralness of the growling and screaming.
    Once again, I believe I'm being mentioned here, as I had a leave from the forums for some time.

I like melodic death metal. That is, I like the music if I can somewhat understand the lyrics. If they cannot be understood at all, I am not interested. Examples: Killswitch Engage, Dethklok, Trivium, Arch Enemy, The Agonist, Five Finger Death Punch, Underoath, etc. If a chick does the growling, the better (as long as the band supporting them doesn't blow.)

Country is Satan.

However, I do like many other genres of music. Classical: Bach, Vivaldi, Schumann, Rock: Metallica, Live, Demons & Wizards, Ozzy, Judas Priest, esp. The Offspring, Rapcore: Hollywood Undead, Pop: t.A.t.U, Electronic: Rob Dougan, Pogo's Alice, and I tolerate a lot of other music. In particular the Brothers listen to music I don't mind hearing, but wouldn't actively listen to myself.

I don't think that there is much, type-wise, that could explain this in-depth enough.

Now, metal, in a non-musical fashion, I'm not terribly fond of, lol.
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Whether an SJ will like a metal song depends on if the music in question is popular/well known or not.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Hate the growling. Can enjoy rock. Love the violin.

MBTI
    TiSe

Hmm... that's a bit sterotypical don't you think, because I know alot of people who do not care for metal (including moi). Not everything can be correlated with type. BTW 6, your initial response was exactly what I was thinking when I first read the thread.

MBTI
    ISTx

Love metal and other forms of heavy and agressive music, however it has to have a strong melodic element.