• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] I'd like to advance a wild generalisation: SJs hate metal

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i'd say, if it less of an assault on my ears/brain, i like it more. i like technical metal, but the noisy shit sucks, like the kind that sounds like compression brakes or heavy machinery.

i like for the music i listen to to be pleasing to my senses.

Word. The less screaming, the better.

I can't stand death metal. I like Tool, but that's (for the most part) the hardest rock I can like.

charliefoxtrot

MBTI Type
INTP
This ISFJ I know...works in a lumber yard, enjoys music - "anything that just sounds good to him". Preferably LOUD AS HELL and with a good beat, hence, some metal.
He too has this odd compulsion towards rhythm. hmm.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
They love if if it's the god damn norm

Yet metal is more of a soon to be deaf 'emo loser' thing. So depends on the individuals

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ehh... My ISTJ friend is a trash metal guitarist. I know a few more SJ's in the metal community, they're not exceptions, they like metal and stuff too.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have two ISFJ friends who can totally appreciate metal. In fact, they prefer it as they feel it's non-commercial, non-fluff, original and has good lyrics (No, I do not know what their fav bands are etc :p)

I, on the other hand, cannot stand the noise. Gives me a headache, make me angry (not from frustration, just the emotion it vibes out), and generally pisses me off. It's like shutting out one of those drills they use to break out old streets. Very exhausting and nigh impossible

Note: there are of course some exceptions to this, as I've had the extreme 'pleasure' of listening to a wide variety of this type of music.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My SO is ESTj and she hates it, thinks it's just noise. And she likes country and the pop stuff out now, which I hate. Car trip soundtracks are tough!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My SO is ESTj and she hates it, thinks it's just noise. And she likes country and the pop stuff out now, which I hate. Car trip soundtracks are tough!

Metal isn't noise!!
It's epic.

My condolences.

Nice of you to tolerate her music on car rides, though.

Lightning_Rider

MBTI Type
ISFJ
ISFJ here and Metal is my favorite type of music. Favorite band is probably Iron Maiden.

Though I like Metal, I do not enjoy senseless screaming, growling etc. I like music that has a good voice behind it and I prefer well written songs as opposed to shallow lyrics, though I realise a lot of Metal has a lot of cheesy lyrics, I prefer those kinds than say Rap where the majority of it is about well, we all know what most Rap talks about :p

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
[YOUTUBE="B6aPKt2R2Bc"]As I Lay Dying - Forever[/YOUTUBE]

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I used to like As I Lay Dying several years ago when I was first getting into heavier music. However, these days, I can't stand them. I listen to a ton of stuff that the vast majority of people who listen to metal would not like at all due to most of it being far too unorthodox, extreme, and not easy to get into; the most well-known bands I listen to regularly would include Cannibal Corpse, Death, Atheist, Cynic, Nevermore, Emperor, Pig Destroyer, Carcass, and Suffocation, who are all exponentially more popular than the others I like, and only make up a small portion of everything. It requires a highly trained ear and knowledge of music to be able to truly understand it; to the uninitiated, it would be senseless, as it goes outside the rather small box of what is considered acceptable and normal.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ
[YOUTUBE="-AsdxhHoJTU"]Dethklok - Go Into the Water + rest of that episode[/YOUTUBE]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I used to like As I Lay Dying several years ago when I was first getting into heavier music. However, these days, I can't stand them. I listen to a ton of stuff that the vast majority of people who listen to metal would not like at all due to most of it being far too unorthodox, extreme, and not easy to get into; the most well-known bands I listen to regularly would include Cannibal Corpse, Death, Atheist, Cynic, Nevermore, Emperor, Pig Destroyer, Carcass, and Suffocation, who are all exponentially more popular than the others I like, and only make up a small portion of everything. It requires a highly trained ear and knowledge of music to be able to truly understand it; to the uninitiated, it would be senseless, as it goes outside the rather small box of what is considered acceptable and normal.

Yeah, AILD is one of those catapult bands. Most guys were into that metalcore stuff before their tastes "matured", if you will. I don't like a lot of metalcore but they're one of those bands that I will always like. I don't like a lot of the metal/grind you listed. I like easy listening. :D

Dark Tranquillity is probably my fave metal band.