User Tag List

First 12345 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    I concur.

With one exception - I suspect most Ns don't like country music.
    I don't like much country from the 90s or the 2000s, too dysfuncional and the music sound is so BLAND... but I like stuff like Patsy Cline and Marty Robbins. I also like some bluegrass.

I like George Strait and Randy Travis from the 80s.

MBTI
    INTJ

One element worth mentioning in the debate is maybe age. There are more metal music lovers among young people, and there are less SJs among young people. Ergo metal is less popular among SJs. What I think you will find is that SJs, compared to other types, on average have less diverse music tastes and less appreciation of eclectic music. The thing with varied music taste is probably mostly a J/P thing. All the people I know with the broadest music tastes are Ps, at least. That is also an element that will lead to less average appreciation of metal music among SJs than other types.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I don't like much country from the 90s or the 2000s, too dysfuncional and the music sound is so BLAND... but I like stuff like Patsy Cline and Marty Robbins. I also like some bluegrass.

I like George Strait and Randy Travis from the 80s.
    Personally I love folk elements in music, but I am not really into any pure country music. I have a couple of Johnny Cash albums, and it's very listenable, but for me there is just better stuff out there. To choose between Nick Drake and Johnny Cash would honestly be a joke.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    One element worth mentioning in the debate is maybe age. There are more metal music lovers among young people, and there are less SJs among young people...

Isn't type a life long thing?

MBTI
    INTJ

Isn't type a life long thing?
    That's a long discussion. Environment explains 60-70 % of the variation in the Five Factor Model though. Then it seems rather far-fetched it should explain 0 % of variation in MBTI types.

heart on fire

That's a long discussion. Environment explains 60-70 % of the variation in the Five Factor Model though. Then it seems rather far-fetched it should explain 0 % of variation in MBTI types.
    Are there statistics to back up the statement that there aren't that many SJ young people? What is this comment based on?

MBTI
    INFJ

One element worth mentioning in the debate is maybe age. What I think you will find is that SJs, compared to other types, on average have less diverse music tastes and less appreciation of eclectic music. The thing with varied music taste is probably mostly a J/P thing. All the people I know with the broadest music tastes are Ps, at least. That is also an element that will lead to less average appreciation of metal music among SJs than other types.
    I'm not sure about this, although age is certainly a factor - let's face it, most older and middle-aged Ps probably don't like metal either.

As for Ps being more eclectic in their tastes, it's possible. However, I've found some NTPs can be very dedicated to one kind of music. My INTP boss only liked classical music and opera. He had no interest in jazz, rock, world music, folk, R&B, etc.*

My husband and I (one P, one J) have pretty eclectic taste in music, although neither is fond of metal. However, we both like the genres above marked *

We caught a great music show last night on CMT called Crossroads, which paired Sara Evans (country singer) with the lead singer from Maroon 5. The night before that, it was Alison Kraus (country) with Robert Plant (lead of Led Zeppelin). Both pairs melded nicely.

I adore watching Austin City Limits and have rarely heard any group I didn't like. But they don't do metal.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    I'm not sure about this, although age is certainly a factor - let's face it, most older and middle-aged Ps probably don't like metal either.
    I didn't like or understand metal when I was young, but I like it often now if my mood is right, it is very soothing to my nerves if I am feeling very upset or frustrated.

When I am having a lot of painful pressure in my ears, it can also be soothing as distraction to that for some reason.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm NT and I can't stand metal. I don't mind the stuff that came out when I was in high school--the hair bands, etc.--but I can't stand the really hard stuff and death metal.

MBTI
    INFJ

When a friend and her STP son spent a week at Tuolumne Family Camp (near Yosemite), he took soundproof headphones so he could listen to head-banging music which relaxed him enough so he could sleep.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ

Are there statistics to back up the statement that there aren't that many SJ young people? What is this comment based on?
    Based on a few numbers, but mostly my own observations and expectations as to what the numbers would show. I am very confident. But it's not like I am saying 10 % of young people are SJs, it's probably more like 25 % or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    As for Ps being more eclectic in their tastes, it's possible. However, I've found some NTPs can be very dedicated to one kind of music. My INTP boss only liked classical music and opera. He had no interest in jazz, rock, world music, folk, R&B, etc.*
    Individuals are not very important here, really, but the overall picture and averages. The numbers are maybe something like a random P having a 70 % chance of having a broader music taste than a random J.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm NT and I can't stand metal. I don't mind the stuff that came out when I was in high school--the hair bands, etc.--but I can't stand the really hard stuff and death metal.
    I believe you if you don't like this: YouTube - Opeth - Bleak