• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] I'd like to advance a wild generalisation: SJs hate metal

heart

heart on fire
I concur.

With one exception - I suspect most Ns don't like country music.

I don't like much country from the 90s or the 2000s, too dysfuncional and the music sound is so BLAND... but I like stuff like Patsy Cline and Marty Robbins. I also like some bluegrass.

I like George Strait and Randy Travis from the 80s.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
One element worth mentioning in the debate is maybe age. There are more metal music lovers among young people, and there are less SJs among young people. Ergo metal is less popular among SJs. What I think you will find is that SJs, compared to other types, on average have less diverse music tastes and less appreciation of eclectic music. The thing with varied music taste is probably mostly a J/P thing. All the people I know with the broadest music tastes are Ps, at least. That is also an element that will lead to less average appreciation of metal music among SJs than other types.

I don't like much country from the 90s or the 2000s, too dysfuncional and the music sound is so BLAND... but I like stuff like Patsy Cline and Marty Robbins. I also like some bluegrass.

I like George Strait and Randy Travis from the 80s.

Personally I love folk elements in music, but I am not really into any pure country music. I have a couple of Johnny Cash albums, and it's very listenable, but for me there is just better stuff out there. To choose between Nick Drake and Johnny Cash would honestly be a joke.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Isn't type a life long thing?

That's a long discussion. Environment explains 60-70 % of the variation in the Five Factor Model though. Then it seems rather far-fetched it should explain 0 % of variation in MBTI types.

heart

heart on fire
That's a long discussion. Environment explains 60-70 % of the variation in the Five Factor Model though. Then it seems rather far-fetched it should explain 0 % of variation in MBTI types.

Are there statistics to back up the statement that there aren't that many SJ young people? What is this comment based on?

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
One element worth mentioning in the debate is maybe age. What I think you will find is that SJs, compared to other types, on average have less diverse music tastes and less appreciation of eclectic music. The thing with varied music taste is probably mostly a J/P thing. All the people I know with the broadest music tastes are Ps, at least. That is also an element that will lead to less average appreciation of metal music among SJs than other types.

I'm not sure about this, although age is certainly a factor - let's face it, most older and middle-aged Ps probably don't like metal either.

As for Ps being more eclectic in their tastes, it's possible. However, I've found some NTPs can be very dedicated to one kind of music. My INTP boss only liked classical music and opera. He had no interest in jazz, rock, world music, folk, R&B, etc.*

My husband and I (one P, one J) have pretty eclectic taste in music, although neither is fond of metal. However, we both like the genres above marked *

We caught a great music show last night on CMT called Crossroads, which paired Sara Evans (country singer) with the lead singer from Maroon 5. The night before that, it was Alison Kraus (country) with Robert Plant (lead of Led Zeppelin). Both pairs melded nicely.

I adore watching Austin City Limits and have rarely heard any group I didn't like. But they don't do metal. :D

Jae Rae

heart

heart on fire
I'm not sure about this, although age is certainly a factor - let's face it, most older and middle-aged Ps probably don't like metal either.

I didn't like or understand metal when I was young, but I like it often now if my mood is right, it is very soothing to my nerves if I am feeling very upset or frustrated.

When I am having a lot of painful pressure in my ears, it can also be soothing as distraction to that for some reason.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm NT and I can't stand metal. I don't mind the stuff that came out when I was in high school--the hair bands, etc.--but I can't stand the really hard stuff and death metal.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
When a friend and her STP son spent a week at Tuolumne Family Camp (near Yosemite), he took soundproof headphones so he could listen to head-banging music which relaxed him enough so he could sleep.

Jae Rae

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are there statistics to back up the statement that there aren't that many SJ young people? What is this comment based on?

Based on a few numbers, but mostly my own observations and expectations as to what the numbers would show. I am very confident. But it's not like I am saying 10 % of young people are SJs, it's probably more like 25 % or whatever.

As for Ps being more eclectic in their tastes, it's possible. However, I've found some NTPs can be very dedicated to one kind of music. My INTP boss only liked classical music and opera. He had no interest in jazz, rock, world music, folk, R&B, etc.*

Individuals are not very important here, really, but the overall picture and averages. The numbers are maybe something like a random P having a 70 % chance of having a broader music taste than a random J.

I'm NT and I can't stand metal. I don't mind the stuff that came out when I was in high school--the hair bands, etc.--but I can't stand the really hard stuff and death metal.

I believe you if you don't like this: YouTube - Opeth - Bleak

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
All the people I know with the broadest music tastes are Ps, at least.

Hmmm, strange. I am an SJ and have I extremely eclectic taste in music. And a lot of the people I know who are really into music and also listen to different kinds of stuff are Js, too (although not necessarily SJs; one with whom I often discuss music/attend concerts would be an INTJ, if I had to guess).

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmmm, strange. I am an SJ and have I extremely eclectic taste in music. And a lot of the people I know who are really into music and also listen to different kinds of stuff are Js, too (although not necessarily SJs; one with whom I often discuss music/attend concerts would be an INTJ, if I had to guess).

The thing is you aren't really a SJ, but a SP, but I guess that's a completely different debate. But of course also Js can have eclectic music tastes, it's just that they are less likely to have it than Ps. That doesn't mean every P has a more eclectic music taste than every J.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I knew an ESTJ in high school.
He and I attended several of the same local metal band shows.

He refused to listen to anything else, though he pretended he had wide musical tastes.

In fact, plenty of the people there were S_Js.

I think it's more likely that you'd assume anyone who listens to metal (and has the rest of the rabblerouser/rebel bit to follow) wouldn't be an S_J, not that you actually never met one.

Taberculosis

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I find metal unbearable. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. My boyfriend who is some sort of ENFP nutbag loves Deathklok and Avenged Sevenfold. Honestly I'd almost rather listen to Britney Spears.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
You mean you listen to country and western? Maybe even bluegrass if you're feeling experimental? :D

I hate modern country music, generally. I like bluegrass. I like country-rock and folk-blues and country-blues and gospel even more. But I go back to classic rock, 1980s and 1990s British rock, Motown, funk, trip-hop, etc. most of the time.

Fishfighter

MBTI Type
INTP
I find metal unbearable. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. My boyfriend who is some sort of ENFP nutbag loves Deathklok and Avenged Sevenfold. Honestly I'd almost rather listen to Britney Spears.

No wonder you dislike metal! Avenged Sevenfold is terrible! :shock:

There's plenty of good stuff out there, but it is an acquired taste. :headphne:

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
No wonder you dislike metal! Avenged Sevenfold is terrible! :shock:

There's plenty of good stuff out there, but it is an acquired taste. :headphne:

Indeed I get that a lot of people dislike cheesy and some forms of extreme and loud metal, but there is tons of metal that is neither, it's just that it is not as visible. Take a band like Agalloch and their The Mantle album; it's just relaxing and atmospheric. Riverside and especially there Out of Myself album is just very emotional, melancholic and relaxing. Blackwater Park by Opeth is another modern metal classic, and it is quite loud at times, but has tons of mellow parts and is very sophisticated and doesn't sound cheesy at all. Another Swedish metal masterpiece is Remedy Lane by Pain of Salvation, which is intensely emotional, dynamic and melodic. The metal genre really has many masterpieces, but for some reason many are rather prejudiced towards the genre and doesn't really know about some of the more sophisticated subgenres.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
My god, this thread is still going?

It's always the ones I lose interest in that gain such momentum.

What have I created!?