User Tag List

123 Last

The Iron Giant

Default Ask me about introverted sensation (Si).

My Fi thread is going pretty well, and I'm really good with Si as well.

So ask me about it, and again, let's learn together.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

How does Si present as a tertiary function?
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    How does Si present as a tertiary function?
    Generally, as a huge pain in the ass. Si is hard enough for a lot of people to stomach in the dominant position due to its devaluing nature, and ISxJs have so much practice and experience at that.

INxPs who take the time to understand and balance their aux Ne with their tertiary Si may find therein a new capacity for reflective thought, which counters Ne's impulse to leap to a "new" conclusion. ISTJ statement warning: often the correct solution is the one that's been done to death. It was done to death because it works.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Generally, as a huge pain in the ass. Si is hard enough for a lot of people to stomach in the dominant position due to its devaluing nature, and ISxJs have so much practice and experience at that.

INxPs who take the time to understand and balance their aux Ne with their tertiary Si may find therein a new capacity for reflective thought, which counters Ne's impulse to leap to a "new" conclusion. ISTJ statement warning: often the correct solution is the one that's been done to death. It was done to death because it works.
    Hmm...
    Would you say that Si has a tendency to make "rules"? Would you at all relate this function to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/Personality Disorder?
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Why is Si in the tertiary a pain in the ass? Could you explain that further?

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    Hmm...
    Would you say that Si has a tendency to make "rules"? Would you at all relate this function to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder/Personality Disorder?
    Si is all about subjective perception. The average Si user perceives the world through a veil or "shell" of impressions that are made up of their experiences. Si makes rules in the sense that it layers these impressions on top of everything, and decides that things not only are supposed to be a certain way, but they actually ARE a certain way. They're more laws of physics, in this sense, than rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Why is Si in the tertiary a pain in the ass? Could you explain that further?
    Average to unhealthy Si doms are known for their inability to reach or touch who or what is really there, instead focusing on what they imagine. Tertiary Si is unlikely to be much more than a sink to the objectivity of aux Ne in my opinion, and when it pops up, I imagine it would be ugly.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Si is all about subjective perception. The average Si user perceives the world through a veil or "shell" of impressions that are made up of their experiences. Si makes rules in the sense that it layers these impressions on top of everything, and decides that things not only are supposed to be a certain way, but they actually ARE a certain way. They're more laws of physics, in this sense, than rules.

Average to unhealthy Si doms are known for their inability to reach or touch who or what is really there, instead focusing on what they imagine. Tertiary Si is unlikely to be much more than a sink to the objectivity of aux Ne in my opinion, and when it pops up, I imagine it would be ugly.
    I understand what you're saying to a degree, but do you maybe have a more concrete example of how this might show in an INFP or INTP. Sorry if I am being a pest.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

What do you mean by the bolded?

Average to unhealthy Si doms are known for their inability to reach or touch who or what is really there, instead focusing on what they imagine.
    This is fascinating. I get the sense that Si doms are much more in tune with reality than Ne doms. You seem to think otherwise? But, I mean, everyone is sort of shelled from reality. Everyone only has of reality what they perceive, which is never the full story. How do these Si impressions differ from Ne impressions in terms of how they change our day-to-day deciding and action-taking?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

This is fascinating. I get the sense that Si doms are much more in tune with reality than Ne doms. You seem to think otherwise? But, I mean, everyone is sort of shelled from reality. Everyone only has of reality what they perceive, which is never the full story. How do these Si impressions differ from Ne impressions in terms of how they change our day-to-day deciding and action-taking?
    Im not stephen but your quote here ties in nicely with my own questions based on reading Jung:

Is it true that Si is in fact more to do with an almost archetypal assemblage of personally experienced perceptions unique to each and every individual Si dom or user, rather than the collective memory bank of objective enforcement it is so often accused of being?

If this is true, is it fair to say that Si, far from being in touch with some objectively agreed on reality, is in fact more in touch with it's own personalised reality?

And then from this can I ask if this means that each and every Si dominant would actually be quite different depending on context and environment? Far from the adherence to standards of tradition or routine, they instead then adhere to their own traditions and routines which are once again of this personalised nature?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram

Is it likely then for ENFP's in the grip of Si to cling to statements such as "that's how it's always been done", even when it's becoming clear that what has been done isn't really working?
    2w3 - 6w7 - 9w8 sp/sx

Protip: Assume everyone is mistyped until proven otherwise.