• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Ask an ISTJ.

T

The Iron Giant

I've been studying typology for a while now, and I know a lot about the type.

So ask me, let's learn something together.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Do you have a mustache?

ISTJ guys love mustaches.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
If you don't mind me asking something slightly personal... Since you're in a relationship with an SP, do you think you could go into a little detail about the interaction between the two types? In what ways do you find you really mesh with SP's? In what ways do you find you have conflict with SP's? Anything along those lines.

T

The Iron Giant

Do you have a mustache?

ISTJ guys love mustaches.

Coupled with your avatar, this is really hilarious for some reason. Thanks.

No, I don't have a mustache. Most days, I'm clean shaven.

T

The Iron Giant

If you don't mind me asking something slightly personal... Since you're in a relationship with an SP, do you think you could go into a little detail about the interaction between the two types?

That's a good question, thank you! And of course, it's peripheral to my favorite topic of all: [MENTION=15967]Kayness[/MENTION]. <3

Since you referred to her by her Keirseyan temperament, I'll keep it in terms of that... Si vs Se. One of the things I've learned through studying typology is that the key problem/feature of SJs is impression-based subjective perception. Without application of a critical eye to most of what I perceive, I will by default favor precedent over the objective truth. Moving into my type in particular, Si-Te is addicted to precedent, and resists new experiences. This is not necessarily in a "keep it away from me" sense, but more in a "I didn't even think of that" sense.

The aforementioned critical eye has proven absolutely necessary to interaction with Kay. As an SP, she sees things very objectively and very literally, though of course her judgment is rippled a bit at times by her Fi. I have found it deeply enlightening to see the world through her eyes. Loving her makes this even easier, because it helps me be more open to her perceptions and judgments. I have found her to be a phenomenal judge of character, though at times she can have difficulty gauging intent.

In what ways do you find you really mesh with SP's?

In comparison to Ne/Ni users, she's far more practical and realistic. I have a good friend who is ESTP as well, and she's the same way. I've worked with an ESTP, and he was also this way. I know I can say something to any of these three people, and they will understand that I mean no more than what I say. That doesn't mean we don't have misunderstandings, just that they won't read too much into it.

In what ways do you find you have conflict with SP's?

Once I got past the directness of the ESTP and ISTP, everything was fine. It was like a, "oh, I can let go and just be me now," moment. So I haven't seen any conflict with these types at all. ISFPs in particular are my favorite MBTI type. I've never met one I didn't get along with.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you think of the ISTP? Do you clash? How about INTJs?

T

The Iron Giant

What do you think of the ISTP? Do you clash?

I know a number of ISTPs who I consider friends. Some are here, in fact. [MENTION=12864]Duck_of_Death[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15974]khys[/MENTION]. I left a few behind on the last forum but I still see them around other places. We don't clash at all. With some ISTPs, there's a learning curve with their style of humor, but there have only been two or so that I disliked. So I'd say overall, ISTPs are about as good as any other type.

How about INTJs?

The INTJ I know IRL seems cool, but I don't know him very well. Several of the INTJs I've known online have been great. There's not much worse than an Internet kid who thinks he's Ni dom and reads some idiotic description that makes him think he can read minds... but real INTJs are fine.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's not much worse than an Internet kid who thinks he's Ni dom and reads some idiotic description that makes him think he can read minds... but real INTJs are fine.

PerC in one sentence :happy0065:

Edit: Yep

Last edited:

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do ISTJs like bears?

case in point:
[MENTION=15167]Stephen[/MENTION]
[MENTION=10780]Patches[/MENTION]

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In what ways are you quite similar to ESTJs, and in what ways are you quite different from them? :)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not feeling the bears, sorry.

Dogs!

T

The Iron Giant

In what ways are you quite similar to ESTJs, and in what ways are you quite different from them? :)

Most of the similarities can be tied to Si. I covered that earlier so won't bore you with a repeat. ISTJs do often seem to prefer order, but from what I've read of other ISTJ posts, it doesn't necessarily have to be what most imagine: immaculate rooms, ironed clothing, things like that. The ISTJs I've known seem to love it when things are tidy, but really just need things to be where they can find them, or perhaps more specifically, where they remember putting them.

I've only seen significant amounts of data from one ESTJ. She was a lot more assertive than me, and a lot more orderly. But then, she was a three, and those traits can be tied back to that.

We share all the same functions, but I think the positions make a big difference in presentation. Tertiary Fi in an ISTJ vs inferior Fi in an ESTJ means ISTJs are often more in tune with the feelings of others, and more inclined to consider those feelings when acting. It's not Fe, but it does promote consistency and authenticity, so it doesn't hurt socially at all to have more of it. I would consider Te doms, like ESTJs, more likely to be strong leaders than ISTJs. Te is a powerful and effective function for getting things done.

T

The Iron Giant

BEARDOGS!!!

beardogs.png

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
[MENTION=15967]Kayness[/MENTION] I <3 pandas. I made my avatar this panda 2 years ago, and it hasn't been changed since.

We also have an eNTP named [MENTION=71]JAVO[/MENTION] who is our resident polar bear. So maybe everyone loves bears. :D

Some do! Does ISFP like bear? :D You're the one who started calling me that.

Haha, my ex-ENTJ called me "Panda Bear" almost exclusively while we were dating. I hardly ever heard him use my actual name.

I also played a tanking Druid in WoW, so when we were playing he would usually just shorten it to "bear". "Bear! Come tank things!"

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Coupled with your avatar, this is really hilarious for some reason. Thanks.

No, I don't have a mustache. Most days, I'm clean shaven.

that is hilarious... haha :laugh:

Phoenix

MBTI Type
XNTX
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The words "Duty" and "ISTJ" are sometimes used inter-changeably [probably stereotype] .... is there any such thing as a non-dutiful ISTJ - ? In other words, what kind of cognitive "corruption" would it take for an ISTJ to go against their most commonly associated trait?