User Tag List

First 6789 Last

Thread: Ask an ISTJ.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    How do I get you guys to do drugs?
    If it's me, you can't. I don't have any curiosity about, or interest in, impairing myself. I'm sure there are other ISTJs who use recreational drugs.

Riva

I have 2 ISTJ friend who have quite a lot of friends and acquaintances - socializes/associates a lot of people - who are good at reading people. I asked one of them how he does it to which he replies -

Most people who share the same body language - the way one walks, talks, interacts, voice tone, dress etc - tend to have the same personality traits. He also said that most times he is correct but on some other times he is shockingly wrong. I guess on MBTI terms he probably has strong Si. What he does is stereotyping based on his strong Si I guess.

The two ISTJs I described socializes - associates people - a lot therefore knows quite a lot of people therefore has the ability to recall so many people's traits and associate them with others and try and do this with certain efficiency.

So the question is - Do you do this too?

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I'm obviously not speaking for all ISTJ's, but I'm a very absent-minded person. I often don't notice things and I'm certainly not someone who is good at reading people based on the subtleties of their actions.

The Iron Giant

I have 2 ISTJ friend who have quite a lot of friends and acquaintances - socializes/associates a lot of people - who are good at reading people. I asked one of them how he does it to which he replies -

Most people who share the same body language - the way one walks, talks, interacts, voice tone, dress etc - tend to have the same personality traits. He also said that most times he is correct but on some other times he is shockingly wrong. I guess on MBTI terms he probably has strong Si. What he does is stereotyping based on his strong Si I guess.

The two ISTJs I described socializes - associates people - a lot therefore knows quite a lot of people therefore has the ability to recall so many people's traits and associate them with others and try and do this with certain efficiency.

Yes, in the sense that over time I've become not only better at reading people quickly, but more confident in my analysis. I can relate to the observation of body language, tone of voice, etc. I've realized that I talk to the different people I know in somewhat different ways based on those things. I find myself being nicer to the people who are considerate toward me and others, and very closed off to the people who are demanding and selfish, for example.

There's also something more subtle there. I will meet people and just *know* something's up, that I don't trust them, very quickly. Sometimes this happens before they even speak. That has to come from the way they carry themselves or an internal comparison to someone I already know. I try to be openminded and let people prove themselves one way or the other on their own, but those impressions are strong and I don't always know where they come from.

No, in the sense that I'm not a very social person. My friendliness comes in small doses, and I rarely go out and do things with friends.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Can't relate to that. In theory, I agree it should probably work, but I don't have skill with it.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

What sort of hobbies and interests appeal to you? I remember reading that Si-doms really go for history, scrapbook, focus-on-the past sort of things.

Also, do emotionally-charged events create more an imprint for you? I'm asking because I wonder about my own Si. If something is very upsetting or traumatic, I have marked trouble recalling what happened, how I felt...it's all incredibly vague. To the point where I sometimes forget the event until something triggers it. Even then it's hard to actually remember it without talking about it. How is it for you?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Also, do emotionally-charged events create more an imprint for you? I'm asking because I wonder about my own Si. If something is very upsetting or traumatic, I have marked trouble recalling what happened, how I felt...it's all incredibly vague. To the point where I sometimes forget the event until something triggers it. Even then it's hard to actually remember it without talking about it. How is it for you?
    I'm posting a response to this, mostly to see how similar my answer is to the ISTJ answers. (There are just so many more of you guys; I figure one meddling ESTJ won't mess with much!)

There are elements of traumatic memories that I remember with a great deal of accuracy. I always remember how I was feeling at the time, and how I responded emotionally both during and after the event. I often remember very detailed images that go with those feelings, usually of scenery and atmosphere. For example, I remember the span of about 15 seconds of a terrible trip I took to New York, as if I had recorded it; I remember the sounds, the lighting, the weather, and almost exactly how the room looked; I remember how I was feeling, the vibe my friend was giving off; I remember what I was doing, and the reason why I was doing it.

Those are the things that I remember accurately. On the other side of the spectrum: In the case of a traumatic memory involving another person doing something bad to me, I will almost never remember the exact words that they said to me, even if the traumatic phrase they uttered was short. I won't remember their face, or their clothes, or even their physical features. Maybe I'll remember the general gist, of how they looked or what they said. But I'll primarily remember the aftermath, and how I felt about it, and I'll remember the atmosphere, the scenery, and the mood very well.

I also tend to take conclusions from events that are very subjective and become more simplistic with time (i.e. the "gists" mentioned above).

Edit: I'm sure that the feeling elements of this post are Fi, but I think the remembering-environments-more-than-people thing is probably just me. I'm sure everyone's Si focuses on a different theme.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

your resident asshole

What sort of hobbies and interests appeal to you? I remember reading that Si-doms really go for history, scrapbook, focus-on-the past sort of things.
    I hate those sort of things, but my ISTJ dad loves history.

I find the bolded to be somewhat strange. If I remember correctly, it's been scientifically proven that events that stir up more emotions are easier to recall, especially if these are negative emotions. This has nothing to do with Si.

The Iron Giant

I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to say that Si is focused on the past as much as it is... perhaps "passionately informed" by the past. In a word, Si is romantic. So, for example, I have a collection of video games that is not based on the monetary value or even objective quality, but instead on the personal relevance they have to me. It's nostalgia-based. While nostalgia is not exclusively an Si-specific trait, it's an important one for me. I hunted down a couple of very common and not very valuable or entertaining games just because I loved them so much as a kid, and it feels good just to see the box sitting on the shelf. When I play these games, or even look at the boxes, I can pretty vividly recall the experiences of playing, and everything peripheral to them. For example, there's one game box on my shelf that reminds me of a single week-long relationship I had in high school, a failed attempt to turn my best friend into a girlfriend. I was playing that game at the time.

Songs can do the same thing.

If you check out Jung's synopsis of the Introverted Sensation Type, you'll see his description of what Si-doms are at their worst: completely disconnected from reality and seeing things only as they imagine them to be based on such romantic nostalgia. If I were like that, perhaps I would look at a game I loved as a kid and still think it was the best game ever made, even if playing it showed me otherwise. You can imagine the problems this kind of thing creates in human relationships. When my marriage was falling apart, I started intensely collecting video games from my childhood, many of which were garbage in terms of quality. I got little hits of pleasure just from having the boxes there. It was escapism. I was hiding from my wife emotionally.

For me, the more emotionally-charged the event, the more deep the imprint it makes. That doesn't mean the imprint is necessarily accurate to reality. I'll relive the experience again and again, reprocessing it and trying to distill lessons from it. In a number of cases, I've sought relief this way, like ways to allow myself to forgive myself for dumb shit I've done.

I think studies have shown that emotional memories are less accurate than more logical or detached ones. That's for all humans, not just Si users.

ISTJs...

What is your least favorite MBTI type?

Have you ever considered using your Si-Fi in an art field?