User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: Ask an ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I typically like reading poetry, but don't usually seek it out actively. I'm absolutely horrible at "writing" it, though.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Hello ISTJs!

Do you have a good recollection of when certain things in your life occurred? How good: to the decade, year, month, day? I am speaking of things like seeing a person you do remember seeing, reading a book you do remember reading.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Hello ISTJs!

Do you have a good recollection of when certain things in your life occurred? How good: to the decade, year, month, day? I am speaking of things like seeing a person you do remember seeing, reading a book you do remember reading.
    I can only remember those kinds of things with precision if there's a memorable enough impact involved that includes the date. Reading a book or encountering a person are not generally memorable enough events. This kind of thing was underscored when I was recently sorting photos by date on my computer. One summer, years ago, I went to Las Vegas. I stared at the photos, trying to remember what year it was. During that trip, I went to several places in California, including a wedding on Laguna Beach, Disneyland, a wax museum, Catalina, and more. While I remember all those events in great detail (largely thanks to having those photos to jog my memory) I had no idea when it happened.

Thanks.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Hello ISTJs!

I'm bad with dates and numbers, I tend to recollect through sensory/visual memory. The weather that day, the colours I can see, shapes and objects that represent that memory to me. Like the earliest happy memory I can recall- it is almost entirely visually focused, I don't remember much about where, when or what I did but the first thing that comes to my mind is the whale-shaped kiddy stroller they were pushing me in, the sharp glare of the light and heat from the sun, the way everything just seemed to fade away to white and the shades of blue everywhere. Incidentally I later learned it was an ocean-themed recreational park.

I'm not sure about other ISTJ's but I imagine everyone has their own ways of filing their memories for later perusal. Not all of us view things the same way, for example my dad is an ISTx as well but unlike me, his instinct for visual memory isn't as well-developed as mine. Which is why when we navigate through complicated pathways (like the innards of a mall or a densely packed housing estate) he always relies on me to find our way from point A to point B- when left alone he almost always ends up lost unless the visual clues are huge and unmistakable.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

ISTJs do you think some of the stereotypes in your type descriptions like being a traditionalist or sticking to the good old fashioned way have any truth to them or are they false?

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    ISTJs do you think some of the stereotypes in your type descriptions like being a traditionalist or sticking to the good old fashioned way have any truth to them or are they false?
    I would say they have some truth to them, but it's a really nuanced thing.

As Jung's introverted sensation type, we're defined by our detachment from the object, when instead we perceive things as their impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Jung
    Normally the object is not consciously devalued in the least, but its stimulus is removed from it and immediately replaced by a subjective reaction no longer related to the reality of the object.
    One of my favorite comparisons for Si is Plato's allegory of the cave. In a sense, we're perceiving the shadow. That may be good enough, or it may be spot on (to stick with the analogy, picture a large black stone casting a large black shadow. The impression cast on us by the object could be pretty much identical to the object, and hardly matter as much when they're just objects, instead of people).

Quote Originally Posted by Jung
    If the object is a person, he feels completely devalued, while the subject has an illusory conception of reality, which in pathological cases goes so far that he is no longer able to distinguish between the real object and the subjective perception.
    These impressions are formed by our experiences, so in a way, we're stuck in the past, favoring our impressions of things (almost a nostalgia) over the objective reality of what they are (which Se would do).

The huge caveat though is that, as Jung put it, this is a description of pathological cases. Of course, this was Jung's job, and it was how he defined all the types: by their extreme cases. When the creators of MBTI adapted Jung's work to both describe "normal folk" and to make it a tool for employee evaluation, they made some real changes in how type was defined. One such adaptation was saying that Si doms are traditional, when instead they have a tendency toward nostalgia. Many interpret "traditional" in a certain picket-fence, church-going, wife-and-2.3-kid-having way, instead of "nostalgic."

Te is the other part of the equation in this for ISTJs. Te leads us to favor what we have been taught and experienced over deep re-interpretations of systems, which would be more of an Ti thing. Generally, we will favor what we know over what is new, but keep in mind that everything we've learned was once something new. We will learn it if we want to, and if it makes sense, but it has to pass that test of fitting with our existing "factual" and "objective" knowledge. INTJs would be much the same way.

I have tattoos, led a BDSM lifestyle for a short time, and had an open marriage. I'm very strongly liberal, support same sex marriage (and in fact I feel outraged that it's considered unacceptable anywhere), and I'm an atheist. In some other ways, I'm pretty traditional. *straightens tie*

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

ISTJs!

If you're going somewhere, and you've only been there once before, but you have no memory of an exact address, how do you usually decide to get there? Do you try to retrace your steps and follow your gut? Do you do all of your research, find the address, draw yourself a map? Some other thing to that effect?

I ask because I usually follow my gut, as my gut usually leads me to the right address... but I wonder if my "gut" is Si in disguise. Edit: I wonder that because of having read this a while back.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

How do I get you guys to do drugs?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    ISTJs!

If you're going somewhere, and you've only been there once before, but you have no memory of an exact address, how do you usually decide to get there? Do you try to retrace your steps and follow your gut? Do you do all of your research, find the address, draw yourself a map? Some other thing to that effect?

I ask because I usually follow my gut, as my gut usually leads me to the right address... but I wonder if my "gut" is Si in disguise. Edit: I wonder that because of having read this a while back.
    I use my GPS. I have one in my car, and one built into my Thunderbolt that I use with the navigation function in Google Maps. If I'm going far I'll set it up on my phone before I leave, sometimes even the night before (and save the route to my places on Google) and then load it and go when I get in the car. If it's complex, like in Manhattan and navigation will be tight, I may set up both my phone and the GPS in my car and mute the one in the car, just so I have something I can glance at at need, because Google navigation is smarter, but the car's GPS is easier to read (mainly because it has a bracket on the windshield).