User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: Ask an ISTJ.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko Souma View Post
    Sorry but I am confused a bit. If its yourself you're talking about then Ne would be your inferior function and would be advice for yourself. For me Ne would be my secondary function and so if I would apply it to me; I would get apply the critical thinking to my inferior which is Fe?
    I specified irrationals to make it clearer that this doesn't apply to you as an INTP, since we're talking about Si-doms. Your inferior function, as you pointed out, would be a judging function, as you're a rational type.

If I were giving you advice on how to handle your inferior function, I would say that you need to try to keep in mind that your consideration of your impact on others is going to probably be pretty darn weak. In other words, it's going to be hard for you to consider what your actions will do to others. My experience with IxTPs has been that this issue manifests in terms of scale: they seem to act without considering the feelings of others, and then in the aftermath, they have a hard time predicting how people feel about them.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Well, what could I do to help him?
    I think it's great that you want to help, but I think this is something he has to do the legwork on, whether that's by studying personality theory and understanding what his limitations are and adapting to them... or by going into therapy and becoming more aware of his drives in other ways.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I specified irrationals to make it clearer that this doesn't apply to you as an INTP, since we're talking about Si-doms. Your inferior function, as you pointed out, would be a judging function, as you're a rational type.

If I were giving you advice on how to handle your inferior function, I would say that you need to try to keep in mind that your consideration of your impact on others is going to probably be pretty darn weak. In other words, it's going to be hard for you to consider what your actions will do to others. My experience with IxTPs has been that this issue manifests in terms of scale: they seem to act without considering the feelings of others, and then in the aftermath, they have a hard time predicting how people feel about them.
    A perfect description of me but want I really want is advice how to handle my secondary Ne. I am aware that I have to work on my inferior as well since I tend to get on odd ends with most of the people I know in life that are feelers. As you pointed out though; you don't believe that an Si dom's strong point isn't Ne so does that mean you don't have much to say about how I can utilize my Ne effectively?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I think it's great that you want to help, but I think this is something he has to do the legwork on, whether that's by studying personality theory and understanding what his limitations are and adapting to them... or by going into therapy and becoming more aware of his drives in other ways.
    Yeah, I guess you are right.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Do any of you ISTJs ever go into abstract topics normally associated with Ns such as philosophy and metaphysics?

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Do any of you ISTJs ever go into abstract topics normally associated with Ns such as philosophy and metaphysics?
    I studied philosophy in school, and enjoyed it a great deal. I don't have any knowledge of metaphysics, but I'm sure there are plenty of sensing types, including ISTJs, in the field. Te in particular is excellent for anything that requires exhaustive knowledge of objective fact.

I think I know where this question comes from. The N=abstract theory idea does not bear out in my experience. Perhaps intuitives and sensing types have different approaches to such topics... a great thread I saw not long ago on another forum discussed this difference in approach among members on that site (it specifically pointed out the OP's observation that the site's sensors look more deeply into the cognitive functions used in JCF theory, while the intuitives seem to take a more broad approach and enjoy the dichotomies in MBTI). I liked this idea because it suited the origins of those theories very well, too: Jung being an ISTP, and Isabel Briggs-Myers being INFP, Keirsey an... INTP I think?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What do you think of poetry?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I enjoy poetry a lot. I have a book of poetry I wrote throughout my teen years, nearly all of it is horrendous. I've recently started writing a little again, and it's improved. I'm a big fan of e e cummings. When I was a mod at PersonalityCafe, I wrote limericks for my permabans.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    When I met my ex husband he was in philosophy and metaphysics classes. He actually majored in philosophy.

edit: oh...should add that he is an istj
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I'm pretty different from Stephen in that regard. I typically hate poetry. Especially back in the day when I had English courses which required us to analyze classic poetry, and find the 'hidden meanings' and such. I rarely read poetry and I never write it.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~