User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Ask an ISTJ.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    My father is ISFJ and he tells me that his mind is the opposite of mine: his mind is hyper-focused, and he get's focused on one subject and he can't come off it no matter what he seems to do. Is this the case with you?
    I can be very focused that way. Just kind of toss myself into something and drown in it. I try to be aware of when I'm overdoing it.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Are you ISTJs really high achievers like a lot of INTJs are?
    While I'm sure anyone can be a high achiever, I think ISTJs are more commonly viewed as very hard workers. I would think Te doms would be the higher achievers, ExTJs, over either INTJs or ISTJs. Extraversion makes a big difference, I think.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I can be very focused that way. Just kind of toss myself into something and drown in it. I try to be aware of when I'm overdoing it.
    But can you easily get off of the subjects? My father said that he just can't.

The Iron Giant

But can you easily get off of the subjects? My father said that he just can't.
    If it's something I'm very interested in, it can take a great deal of effort. I don't believe in "can't." I'll get stuck but when I realize it I will stop.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

If it's something I'm very interested in, it can take a great deal of effort. I don't believe in "can't." I'll get stuck but when I realize it I will stop.
    But how do you stop it, and get off of the subject? My father can't do this for the life of him.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

@Stephen

You mentioned that your Ne has led you down some dark corridors at times. I think that may relate to me where I have tried different ways of finding a "me" I am happy with in the past as one knows. I don't know if you have resolved your Ne issue but if you have; do you have any advice in how to do so?

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuko Souma View Post
    @Stephen

You mentioned that your Ne has led you down some dark corridors at times. I think that may relate to me where I have tried different ways of finding a "me" I am happy with in the past as one knows. I don't know if you have resolved your Ne issue but if you have; do you have any advice in how to do so?
    I don't think Ne can ever be a strong point for an Si-dom. The best advice I can give for any irrational type is to apply some hardcore critical thinking skills to the perceptions they receive from their inferior function. It's simply not going to feed reliable data, so we need to have a skeptical eye and lots of post-processing.

The Iron Giant

But how do you stop it, and get off of the subject? My father can't do this for the life of him.
    I can't give any advice short of saying that he has to want to stop. If he's saying he can't, I don't believe him.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    LIE

I don't think Ne can ever be a strong point for an Si-dom. The best advice I can give for any irrational type is to apply some hardcore critical thinking skills to the perceptions they receive from their inferior function. It's simply not going to feed reliable data, so we need to have a skeptical eye and lots of post-processing.
    Sorry but I am confused a bit. If its yourself you're talking about then Ne would be your inferior function and would be advice for yourself. For me Ne would be my secondary function and so if I would apply it to me; I would get apply the critical thinking to my inferior which is Fe?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I can't give any advice short of saying that he has to want to stop. If he's saying he can't, I don't believe him.
    Well, what could I do to help him?