• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Ask an ISTJ.

T

The Iron Giant

The words "Duty" and "ISTJ" are sometimes used inter-changeably [probably stereotype] .... is there any such thing as a non-dutiful ISTJ - ? In other words, what kind of cognitive "corruption" would it take for an ISTJ to go against their most commonly associated trait?

I think usually a shift in personality happens under high stress. Stress brings out our personality traits more strongly... someone like me might lose social filters and seem less accommodating or friendly and a bit more rigid, like the stereotypes. However, heavier stress is thought to invoke the unconscious half of your personality, in my case my Fi and Ne would take over, and in an unhealthy way... suddenly I might become a lot more like an unhealthy and pissed off INFP.

Some call the four unused functions our shadow functions. I'm not sure I buy into that.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
How do you feel about tipping in restaurants? Are you a good tipper or a bad tipper? (I swear, this isn't just randomness.)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJs, do you usually like to follow the rules and authority or do you like to be rebels?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How do you feel about tipping in restaurants? Are you a good tipper or a bad tipper? (I swear, this isn't just randomness.)
Generally, I aim to be a good tipper.
For myself, I like to tip big for small bills, and medium for large bills. With haircuts or pizza, I give a good portion more than "expected," because 15% may only be 40 cents...

T

The Iron Giant

I'm a fair tipper. I tip more than most, I think. If someone does a good job I'm not afraid to go 25% or more. If not, I'll usually still do 15%, unless they really fuck up and seem to be doing it on purpose... at which point I may do nothing at all... but that's only ever happened once or twice.

I also much prefer to tip in cash. I understand that the worker gets more of the money when it's cash, as opposed to credit.

T

The Iron Giant

ISTJs, do you usually like to follow the rules and authority or do you like to be rebels?

I follow rules that I agree with. If I disagree with the rules, I try to change the rules, not myself. The closest I come to rebellion is removing myself from the circumstances.

rawr_sheila

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't tip. I hate tipping. I already pay enough for the food and service....but if I was a waiter, I'd do all I could to get as much tips as possible:D

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISTJs, do relate more to other Sj types other than your own or do you relate to types like ISTP or INTJ better?

T

The Iron Giant

ISTJs, do relate more to other Sj types other than your own or do you relate to types like ISTP or INTJ better?

Tough call. I have a few ISTJ friends and ISTPs. I don't think I have any INTJ friends anymore. But I get along well with INTJs who aren't too impressed with their type description.

R

Riva

Are ISTJs athletic? Are they interested in sports?

Hmmm... I am having a hard time recalling any ISTJ I know who was ever interested in sports or is athletic.

that is hilarious... haha :laugh:

Why on earth is that hilarious? You have an odd sense of humor LX.

T

The Iron Giant

Hmmm... I am having a hard time recalling any ISTJ I know who was ever interested in sports or is athletic.

[MENTION=4353]MBTI Enthusiast[/MENTION] is a volleyball jock. I know at least one ISTJ on another forum who was a football player. I'm not personally into sports, but I did fine at basketball and field hockey when I was in HS.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Why on earth is that hilarious? You have an odd sense of humor LX.

Are you kidding me!! Haha!! Look at Edgar's face saying soooo do you like mustaches?? I heard istjs like mustaches haha with that creepy face of his! It's hilarious!!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And Stephen thanks for your reply... I have an istj in my life that seems to have twisted fi so I was just trying to understand.

Yours seems healthy tho. :)

T

The Iron Giant

And Stephen thanks for your reply... I have an istj in my life that seems to have twisted fi so I was just trying to understand.

Yours seems healthy tho. :)

It's not uncommon for the lower (unconscious) half of our personality to be intensely negative. My Fi is unusually balanced, probably due to growing up close to my INFP big sister and from being with [MENTION=15967]Kayness[/MENTION], who is Fi dom. She has helped me identify, balance and use my Fi simply by using hers in my presence, and I think my Te has had an impact on her as well.

Ne is another story altogether. Rarely it does an exceptional job of drawing my attention to the unstated, most of the time it leads me down dark corridors to nothingness.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tell Stephen a lot about Fi, and I think it's easier for him to talk about it too because too many times the Fi stuff I tell him constantly slips in and out of my consciousness so whatever you ask me I'll do the stereotypical Fi dom thing, "uhmmm it's kinda hard to explain...". Also I think he can represent it in a more objective way. I feel like I'm too mired in it sometimes.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not uncommon for the lower (unconscious) half of our personality to be intensely negative. My Fi is unusually balanced, probably due to growing up close to my INFP big sister and from being with [MENTION=15967]Kayness[/MENTION], who is Fi dom. She has helped me identify, balance and use my Fi simply by using hers in my presence, and I think my Te has had an impact on her as well.

Ne is another story altogether. Rarely it does an exceptional job of drawing my attention to the unstated, most of the time it leads me down dark corridors to nothingness.

Makes sense thanks. :)

MBTI Enthusiast

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4353]MBTI Enthusiast[/MENTION] is a volleyball jock. I know at least one ISTJ on another forum who was a football player. I'm not personally into sports, but I did fine at basketball and field hockey when I was in HS.

True story. :tongue: I love sports. I think it's my 3 fix. :wink: I have played 11 years of volleyball, 7 years of track & field, 6 years of basketball, and 4 years of soccer.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Are you ISTJs really high achievers like a lot of INTJs are?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=15167]Stephen[/MENTION]

My father is ISFJ and he tells me that his mind is the opposite of mine: his mind is hyper-focused, and he get's focused on one subject and he can't come off it no matter what he seems to do. Is this the case with you?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

JTG played baseball in high school and is a life-long athlete, he used to be heavily into running and now he plays tennis.

Interestingly, in high school, I dated a baseball player briefly my senior year after I broke up with my high school sweetheart (he was the complete opposite of the long-haired ESFP musician) and I believe very strongly he is ISTJ, he's actually my friend on facebook now as an adult.

I'm fairly certain there's a fair number of ISTJ athletes, but they may be more focused on precision because of Si, rather than the risk or sensation of Se.

JTG and I talked about this one time, estimating what sports SJs gravitate toward, and vice versa with SPs, and why.