User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Hehe, I had guessed before that barbers only do cutting, shaving and maybe some basic styling, and stylists do pretty much anything with hair. Interesting thread.....

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    Hehe, I had guessed before that barbers only do cutting, shaving and maybe some basic styling, and stylists do pretty much anything with hair. Interesting thread.....
    If a male (usually gay, I guess) goes to styling school, can he be a barber?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I just told him to focus on the job, not on the person doing the job.

But there's got to be a cleverer kind of comeback. Should we be like Saudi Arabia and ban women from cutting hair the way they ban women from driving?
    But barbers, professionally, cut men's hair and shave men, and historically most barbers have been men because they exclusively cut the hair and shave other men. Stylists tend to focus on women's as well as men's hair, which is why they aren't licensed to give shaves and can give manicures or facials instead. Very few women actively choose to only cut the hair of men and shave men.

So anyway your friend still has a point, female barbers will be the exception not the rule because very few females who cut hair professionally will ONLY want to cut and shave men and not be licensed to do more feminine hairstyles.

And your Saudi Arabia example is preposterous and extreme, it's not even a relevant comparison.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

ISTJ responds:

"Therefore not barbers, stylists that go to beauty school."

See what I mean?
    OK, now I think he is being obstinate ... as quoted above, approximately HALF of all licensed barbers today are WOMEN.

To become a barber, they have to go to a licensed barber's school and then obtain a barber's license. Not beauty school and not a license as a cosmetologist - hairdressers in the US have to have a cosmetologist's license. They are two different things, two different credentials.

The requirements to get your barber's license are different for each state, so I can't list them all here.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    But barbers, professionally, cut men's hair and shave men, and historically most barbers have been men because they exclusively cut the hair and shave other men. Stylists tend to focus on women's as well as men's hair, which is why they aren't licensed to give shaves and can give manicures or facials instead. Very few women actively choose to only cut the hair of men and shave men.

So anyway your friend still has a point, female barbers will be the exception not the rule because very few females who cut hair professionally will ONLY want to cut and shave men and not be licensed to do more feminine hairstyles.

And your Saudi Arabia example is preposterous and extreme, it's not even a relevant comparison.
    I was trying to think of some better response via lateral thinking. Lateral thinking often doesn't seem relevant at first.

But the exception ("very few women") doesn't prove the rule. I know a woman who went to school to be a barber, and she opened a shop exclusively for men's haircuts. It even has the word "Men's" in the name of the business. Maybe I should send my ISTJ friend her way. She would probably nip his ear with the scissors for suggesting such a thing.

His argument however is more rigid than yours. He's not saying there are exceptions. He's simply saying "women can't be barbers, they are stylists."

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    OK, now I think he is being obstinate ... as quoted above, approximately HALF of all licensed barbers today are WOMEN.

To become a barber, they have to go to a licensed barber's school and then obtain a barber's license. Not beauty school and not a license as a cosmetologist - hairdressers in the US have to have a cosmetologist's license. They are two different things, two different credentials.

The requirements to get your barber's license are different for each state, so I can't list them all here.
    Yes, he likes to play games. Intellectual head games. Sometimes they are based on outright lies.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

He's simply saying "women can't be barbers, they are stylists."
    If she has a barber's license, she's a barber.

Te FAIL on your friend's part.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Based on PeaceBaby's link, I would think that he could only be a barber if he was also licensed as a barber, as a cosmetologist (stylist) isn't licensed to shave, and so wouldn't be hired as a barber. I'm willing to bet there are no special gay/straight exemptions either

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Only if they meet the state requirements to be a barber. From what I understand you would have to take some additional courses, gain apprenticeship hours and pass a new state exam for your license. As mentioned they are distinct credentials.

Plus, I wouldn't assume that men who cut women's hair are gay. That's just a stereotype.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Only if they meet the state requirements to be a barber. From what I understand you would have to take some additional courses and pass a new state exam for your license.

Plus, I wouldn't assume that men who cut women's hair are gay. That's just a stereotype.
    It's a Hollywood stereotype. But I don't see anybody bashing Hollywood liberals for the thousands of stereotypes they portray in films each year.

Way to go with the point about having a license. That seems to be the way to take this debate.