• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] An ISTJ Speaks Out On Barbers Versus Stylists

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only if they meet the state requirements to be a barber. From what I understand you would have to take some additional courses and pass a new state exam for your license.

Plus, I wouldn't assume that men who cut women's hair are gay. That's just a stereotype.

It's a Hollywood stereotype. But I don't see anybody bashing Hollywood liberals for the thousands of stereotypes they portray in films each year.

Way to go with the point about having a license. That seems to be the way to take this debate.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
If this is a serious debate, well so be it, I suppose the credentials and typical type of jobs they do is most relevant. I mean, the 65 year old Italian guy that's been holding scissors in his barbershop for the last 40 years might be licensed to do dye jobs, but if I walked in and asked Luigi for a magenta streaked faux-hawk he'd probably kick me out.

Barbershops aren't just a place where you get your hair cut - some of them are, sure, but for a long time and in many places a barbershop was and still is a social establishment. I'm not talking credentials and whether a girl can cut hair or any of that stuff, I'm just saying that the barbershop can be a place where just men go. The guys working there are men. You talk about local politics, sports, or you don't say anything. Some guys are just hanging out at the shop, you talk, you jive, you get trimmed up, and you come back next week to keep looking fresh.

In this sense, I can see what the ISTJ is saying. If that's your definition of a barbershop, then yeah, a man is a barber.

Also, barbershops have their own local cultural 'rules' and variations.

the-parlor-8963.jpg

obama%20barbershop.jpg

barbershop_lead_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

Some people are more set about having things a certain way than others. Also, maybe he's purposely giving you a hard time to make a point.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
the general rule is barbers can cut and dye hair and shave faces but usually aren't licensed to do manicures. Cosmetologists can cut hair, do facials, manicures and pedicures, but aren't licensed to shave."

Ah so now we come to it! Guys afraid to have a woman with a razor to their neck. Remember Ms. Celie? Fixin' to shave Mister? :D

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ok, two thoughts...

1) I think what he's getting at is just a matter of semantics (no matter how asinine). His argument is akin to that of how female prostitutes are colloquially referred too as "hookers" and males are referred to as "gigolo's" or some silly shit. At least thats what I think he's driving at.

Personally, I can't help but wonder if he's deliberately just goading you now. Ti-doms can be so much fun to mess with ;)

2) We ought to start a "SJs say the darndest things.." thread :laugh: