123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Default Ask An ISTJ About Si!

Does Si bewilder you? Go ahead, ask away!

Well, sort of. I'm a rather young ISTJ, so that means no questions about love or anything else that would require much life experience to give a proper answer to.
    I don't see any invisible treasure chests.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Enneagram? 6 with a strong 7 wing
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I'll start things off!

What are some common misconceptions about Si?

And what's the real deal?

(I'll ponder this topic some more and see if I can come back later with more pointed questions)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    Does Si bewilder you? Go ahead, ask away!

Well, sort of. I'm a rather young ISTJ, so that means no questions about love or anything else that would require much life experience to give a proper answer to.
    Such a Si statement.

Bronies 4 lyfe.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    I'll start things off!

What are some common misconceptions about Si?

And what's the real deal?

(I'll ponder this topic some more and see if I can come back later with more pointed questions)
    Some common misconceptions are:

• It operates on appeals to authority
    • It is like a photographic memory
    • It doesn't delve far into things
    • It slavishly adheres to convention

A total description of what Si is like would be reaaalllly long, and it would have to include all the facets people are looking for, which just might be impossible. So instead I'll address the above points:

It operates on appeals to authority: Not Si, because Si, being introverted, is disconnected from the world (Si might look at information about the world already internalized, however, but it is not the actual world it deals with, but an individual's own perception of it) That might come from an extroverted judging function, though maybe not even that, because to extroverted judging, what makes an authority's subjective opinion any better than it's own, as any subjective judgement is suspect to Je. So this may really have roots in a inferior or especially tertiary Ji, because tertitary functions try to blow themselves up and appear "well developed".

It is like a photographic memory: Si is looking at information already internalized, and therefore, information in some sort of memory, short term or long term. In math terms, memory is the independent variable.

It doesn't delve far into things: Hoo boy... Si can be described to be like a cutting laser. It shines light in a narrow focus, but it cuts very deep into something. Of course, the laser can be moved to point at a different aspect, which is how Si grows. Si looks at different aspects of a situation separately, until the entire thing is illuminated (pretend the laser "paints" areas it has already seen with permanent light).

It slavishly adheres to convention: Depends on what you mean. Si focuses on things that have been, but in its searching in an idea/thought/whatever, it can find new details about it. Si is about how you find information though, not how you use it.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

What about details? Do SJ's get caught up on and enjoy details?

I know that Si is concerned with depth of a Sensory experience rather than breadth of Sensory experience, but the type that I've noticed become most caught up on details in the sense that people accuse SJs of is INTPs. I think INTPs make me feel that way because they really value precision or accuracy (forget which one but those terms are different) and so that makes them appear to be caught up in details.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    What about details? Do SJ's get caught up on and enjoy details?

I know that Si is concerned with depth of a Sensory experience rather than breadth of Sensory experience, but the type that I've noticed become most caught up on details in the sense that people accuse SJs of is INTPs. I think INTPs make me feel that way because they really value precision or accuracy (forget which one but those terms are different) and so that makes them appear to be caught up in details.
    Well, we don't get "caught up" on them because we have experience with seeing the world with Si, so we don't get trapped in details. INTPs have Si as a tertiary, so it isn't as versatile as an SJ's Si because it hasn't been exercised so extensively (a Si dominant has experience with seeing everything with Si, so it is really good).

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Can you elaborate on how Si relates to the physical body, to its state and its "signals"?

I use tertiary Si, but recognise it more as a function that plays a part in memory ("X reminds me of Y, which was like this and that."). I'm not sure I am as aware of its relationship with the body. Is it that Si-doms are good at recognising a state (e.g. cosy) and then trying to recreate it if they liked that state?
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    Can you elaborate on how Si relates to the physical body, to its state and its "signals"?

I use tertiary Si, but recognise it more as a function that plays a part in memory ("X reminds me of Y, which was like this and that."). I'm not sure I am as aware of its relationship with the body. Is it that Si-doms are good at recognising a state (e.g. cosy) and then trying to recreate it if they liked that state?
    Well, it can often show up in tertiary form as nostalgia or sensual comfort, but Si is something that Si dominants apply globally.

We can take states, or ideas, or thoughts, or other things and recreate what we saw the last time we examined those. Once we have "figured out" something, we store our observations in our memory. It is personal, in a way, because we are just storing our own perception/observation of it. That perception can include a sensation, like "cozy".

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    Once we have "figured out" something, we store our observations in our memory. It is personal, in a way, because we are just storing our own perception/observation of it. That perception can include a sensation, like "cozy".
    How to convince an ISTJ to honestly reconsider something they've already "figured out".

I think an ISTJ has made long-term decisions based on obsolete data and understanding of the world. Some of the new decisions I want to offer are quite unconventional.

Thanks for the nice topic (Fe).

Another question: How to develop Si and integrate it in my personality? What are the tricks to survive and thrive when making Si-heavy decisions.
    Except "cozy" what other feelings does it evoke?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    How to convince an ISTJ to honestly reconsider something they've already "figured out".
    Evidence. Think of it like disproving a scientific theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    Another question: How to develop Si and integrate it in my personality? What are the tricks to survive and thrive when making Si-heavy decisions. Except "cozy" what other feelings does it evoke?
    Question 1. Hmm, don't know much about this.
    Question 2. What's a "Si heavy decision"?
    Question 3. I notice that I felt X emotion with Si, but I don't feel that emotion.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?