• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Ask An ISTJ About Si!

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Somehow I happen to have a strong Si, and it's not normal for ISTPs to have such a strong Si. Often times it is used negatively, kinda like "I know this all too well (maybe because it's happened in the past), and I MUST get away from it!" That said, I often clash hard with SJs and to a lesser extent NPs that have a positive form of Si.

Anyway, I wonder what a dialogue between Si and Se would look like.

This is gonna be a real bummer for you... but I am not confident enough in my understanding of Se to really elaborate enough on this. I think that what you interpret as Si is actually Ni though. Si isn't just memory. You seem to be drawing trend lines, and that's more of Ni's forte.

But with some of my interactions with online ones, dominant Se types tend to feel a little... distant? I guess that since my sensing is strongly "in my head", seeing it strongly fueled externally feels alien.

I don't really have particularly strong opinions about other SPs. Since you are an ISTP and probably interested, I find that ISTPs are aloof.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that what you interpret as Si is actually Ni though. Si isn't just memory. You seem to be drawing trend lines, and that's more of Ni's forte.

Sometimes it's Ni, other times I'll actually know the past in detail, and the SJ motive, and strive to evade it at all costs. That's the negative Si I'm talking about.

I think that's awesome.

It's really not. I've clashed with my ENFP sis in the grip of inferior Si. She's kinda insistent that I try to please her "the right way" in order for me to get what I want from her, and often times I get sickened by it. I've also clashed (or had the potential to) with SJs, so beware.

breakthrough

I imagine the Si-function like repertoir or a database of sensory inputs. Is that everything, or is the content somehow "labeled" (with connections, feelings, etc..)?

If its build up like a database, is it possible to store results of thoughts in it too, or is it just for "pure" sensory inputs?

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I imagine the Si-function like repertoir or a database of sensory inputs. Is that everything, or is the content somehow "labeled" (with connections, feelings, etc..)?

If its build up like a database, is it possible to store results of thoughts in it too, or is it just for "pure" sensory inputs?

Definitely labeled and definitely not just for sensory inputs. We don't just shove in anything in our minds and waste time examining it. It's more like we are a little animal, scurrying out of our den, grabbing a piece of food (but not a random rock, I presume it is Te that makes the call here) and scurrying back in. But external things can be external ideas and concepts as well as important sensory inputs.

But what you are asking seems to be more focused on what we do with thoughts already in our mind, yes? Well, we do record anything further we have derived from things and modify them with new information that comes in. You get this constantly growing and revising library of information.

Nakawaka

MBTI Type
free
What is the difference between NE~~Si versus SI~~NE in terms of SI usage? When I think of the past, I look back emotions I miss and try to compound the new interpretations/lessons into me. In my present-living, something out there might recall a past experience.

I can't tell if I'm ISFJ or ENFP. I imagine for you guys, it will be like NE taking a stroll down virtual memory lane. Do Si-dom/Secondaries tend to be very certain of how they act and who they are? (Pardon me if I sound like an amnesiac)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is the difference between NE~~Si versus SI~~NE in terms of SI usage? When I think of the past, I look back emotions I miss and try to compound the new interpretations/lessons into me. In my present-living, something out there might recall a past experience.

I can't tell if I'm ISFJ or ENFP. I imagine for you guys, it will be like NE taking a stroll down virtual memory lane. Do Si-dom/Secondaries tend to be very certain of how they act and who they are? (Pardon me if I sound like an amnesiac)

Great question. I am not certain myself.

But.

I know that I use Si because I naturally tend to focus intensely on sensory things (usually one at a time) and that quality pretty much makes me know that I'm an Si user. It's a fairly prominent trait of mine so it's likely in the dom or aux position. I also feel very, very stifled and unhappy of I don't have some room to be playful and imaginative almost daily. I think this may be one of the iNtuitive functions (Ni/Ne) at work and may be less prominent in me, putting it in the tertiary or inferior position.

I don't know, I'm just guessing at this.

Sometimes it's Ni, other times I'll actually know the past in detail, and the SJ motive, and strive to evade it at all costs. That's the negative Si I'm talking about.

It's really not. I've clashed with my ENFP sis in the grip of inferior Si. She's kinda insistent that I try to please her "the right way" in order for me to get what I want from her, and often times I get sickened by it. I've also clashed (or had the potential to) with SJs, so beware.

Are you saying that it was your ENFP sis in the grip of inferior Si or you in the grip of inferior Si?

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

First, it works a little differently in ISFJs, I imagine.

Second, the bolded one is basically second nature to me. I think one way to identify something as your dominant is when you see it and think, "Well, isn't that obvious?" I know how I have acted, yes. That is another one that seems obvious to me. With who I am... I am me. That sort of thing might be enneagram influenced. It wouldn't be so simple to answer for a type 9.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you saying that it was your ENFP sis in the grip of inferior Si or you in the grip of inferior Si?

I'm an ISTP. I don't really have an inferior Si. It's a shadow function in ISTPs. And come to think of it, my Si could just be Ni-Se masquerading as Si.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So holding grudges is an Ni thing rather than an Si thing?

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not really (could be both, could be just a general J thing). I'm not really someone who likes to hold grudges.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So holding grudges is an Ni thing rather than an Si thing?
I wouldn't say so, because Ni is usually all about the future. Perhaps it is just my Te-aux, but I evaluate things much more in the present moment, with future goals in mind. I may know someone has been untrustworthy or disagreeable, but if he shows up, cooperates, and does his part, I don't hold the past against him because it would be unproductive. I might remain more wary of him because of the past experience, but he can't take that back even if he wanted to. He can just act today, and I will respond accordingly. As such, I am often more willing than others to make allowances for people who are working to improve, but on the flip side, a history of good relations won't make me overlook a significant error today.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not really (could be both, could be just a general J thing). I'm not really someone who likes to hold grudges.

Except with your sister? ;)

Nakawaka

MBTI Type
free
Do you Si-Doms tend to be neat and "responsible" with your belongings (i.e, you don't misplace them, forget where they are, etc?)? From the way you say, it seems as though your head is a like a to-do list.

I've been wondering if I just have an ISJ shadow ;p Don't mind me for asking a seemingly obvious question.

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you Si-Doms tend to be neat and "responsible" with your belongings (i.e, you don't misplace them, forget where they are, etc?)? From the way you say, it seems as though your head is a like a to-do list.

I've been wondering if I just have an ISJ shadow ;p Don't mind me for asking a seemingly obvious question.

I try to be neat and not lose things, but it isn't always possible. When I lose something I tend to get a minor freakout, find it, and laugh off my ridiculousness. Then repeat again two weeks later. I think it's a "me" thing and not a type thing.

I so silly. :blush:

Owfin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bumpity bump bump, bumpity bump bump, look at Owfin go. Bumpity bumpity bump over the... forum?

Eh, it doesn't rhyme,
But it gets the point across just fine!
Now half the time,
I get a rhyme,
But occasionally I just fail

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Does Si give SJs the ability to have vivid memory (almost like lucid memories)?

They can remember as if experiencing right now. They can smell, sense the wind as it was in the memory and almost touch things.

Is this true?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wouldn't say so, because Ni is usually all about the future. Perhaps it is just my Te-aux, but I evaluate things much more in the present moment, with future goals in mind. I may know someone has been untrustworthy or disagreeable, but if he shows up, cooperates, and does his part, I don't hold the past against him because it would be unproductive. I might remain more wary of him because of the past experience, but he can't take that back even if he wanted to. He can just act today, and I will respond accordingly. As such, I am often more willing than others to make allowances for people who are working to improve, but on the flip side, a history of good relations won't make me overlook a significant error today.

That's funny, because ISTP is the complete opposite of INTJ in that ISTP is more in the present moment than any other type and INTJ is more in the future than any other type!

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not perfectly, but close.

Could you please describe the experience and why you do it?

So that perhaps I can understand it better.

I think most Ne-doms (me) don't know how to consciously control this and are not sure in their relationship with the past.