First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    that's really interesting. yeah, that's how i conceptualize "abstract". as something which has a definition that changes based upon context and/or intended meaning, essentially. "concrete" to me is something like "2 millimeters", which is unit (2) that is understood in math to have a particular definition, and a measurement (mm) that is understood in SI to have a particular, locked-in definition. i suppose looking at it from another angle, that's all abstract, because "2" is a manmade, non-tangible concept and "millimeters" are a manmade, non-tangible concept... but to me it still "feels" concrete.
    Yeah, 2 mm seems to be concrete to me too.
    I don't see any invisible treasure chests.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Enneagram? 6 with a strong 7 wing
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    that's really interesting. yeah, that's how i conceptualize "abstract". as something which has a definition that changes based upon context and/or intended meaning, essentially. "concrete" to me is something like "2 millimeters", which is unit (2) that is understood in math to have a particular definition, and a measurement (mm) that is understood in SI to have a particular, locked-in definition. i suppose looking at it from another angle, that's all abstract, because "2" is a manmade, non-tangible concept and "millimeters" are a manmade, non-tangible concept... but to me it still "feels" concrete.
    The bolded is making my head spin and wondering if anything's really concrete at all and if everything we see as reality is really just a construct in our heads, haha... (not the first time I've wondered this)

Edit: Sorry for kinda hijacking your thread, Owfin. This topic has something to do with Si, although I don't know if this is what you had in mind. Let the questioning about Si resume!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    Edit: Sorry for kinda hijacking your thread, Owfin. This topic has something to do with Si, although I don't know if this is what you had in mind. Let the questioning about Si resume!
    We are still learning something though, are we not?

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

^ I was just afraid I was offending you by taking your thread off-course. I do think it's really interesting--I'm glad you do too
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    With the word "open" though, it doesn't just mean a opened door. It can mean a open field. You seem to be trying to find an exact answer for why something could not be open, while I just stop at "It's undefinable. You can't define how open an area is."

Methinks that difference in how far we went was more of a Ti vs Te thing.
    You can (and must, as you show) define based on the context of why the question is being asked/what's being brought into question, and what people seem to consider "open" to normally mean. This involves knowing a lot of people's opinion about what makes something "very open", "rather open", "partially open", "rather closed", "essentially closed", and that set of opinions only works for one situation (such as an "open room")--it has to be reconstructed from the start for every other situation, in the same way.

What I'm saying is that this is how to make an answer applicable.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

How do I convince my ISTJ that my Si really does suck, and that I'm not constantly inspecting the house for little crumbs to pick up?

Yes, I live with him now.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    How do I convince my ISTJ that my Si really does suck, and that I'm not constantly inspecting the house for little crumbs to pick up?

Yes, I live with him now.
    Wait, do you mean that he thinks you go around the house picking up crumbs, or that he thinks you should go around the house picking up crumbs?

Either way, it wouldn't be Si telling you to do it. Te and actually Ne are more of the naggers in ISTJs.

Si: "Oh, look over there, there's that pile of books that I keep forgetting to put away."
    Te: "You moron, you spend like 10 minutes of the day trying to find books, cutting out of the time you read. This wouldn't happen if you were organized."
    Ne: "You might trip over all the books, too!"
    Si: "FINE."

The thing is that I can't really give good advice here because I don't know enough about your individual situation.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Owfin View Post
    Wait, do you mean that he thinks you go around the house picking up crumbs, or that he thinks you should go around the house picking up crumbs?

Either way, it wouldn't be Si telling you to do it. Te and actually Ne are more of the naggers in ISTJs.

Si: "Oh, look over there, there's that pile of books that I keep forgetting to put away."
    Te: "You moron, you spend like 10 minutes of the day trying to find books, cutting out of the time you read. This wouldn't happen if you were organized."
    Ne: "You might trip over all the books, too!"
    Si: "FINE."

The thing is that I can't really give good advice here because I don't know enough about your individual situation.
    He thinks I should. For example, when I'm done making english muffins for breakfast, I wipe up the counter and all, but if I miss a crumb...omg! I obviously "don't care"!

That's also the annoying part. I could see if he had a rodent problem or something, but he gets pissy because he thinks I "don't care", and that's it.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    He thinks I should. For example, when I'm done making english muffins for breakfast, I wipe up the counter and all, but if I miss a crumb...omg! I obviously "don't care"!
    0.o I do not identify.

I am sort of picky and detail oriented, but I would apply really strict judgment to only my own job. No need to nag other people unless you were selling a house or something.

I haven't really seen anything from his own perspective here... but it might be fair to ask him why he gets so mad about it.

• MBTI? ISTJ
    • Brony? Yes
    • Stereotypes?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Somehow I happen to have a strong Si, and it's not normal for ISTPs to have such a strong Si. Often times it is used negatively, kinda like "I know this all too well (maybe because it's happened in the past), and I MUST get away from it!" That said, I often clash hard with SJs and to a lesser extent NPs that have a positive form of Si.

Anyway, I wonder what a dialogue between Si and Se would look like.
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX