User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default PLEASE HELP, does this ISTJ love me?

Alright, to be honest, I am feeling very insecure right now but I do want your honest opinions and explanations for the following details.

I am really beginning to wonder how much my fiance truly loves me or truly understands love for that matter.

He is so freaking logical that it drives me insane. And it hurts me sometimes. I know that I am an F so I am usually able to know when my feelings are irrational and when I have the objective right to be upset about something.

He just says things sometimes, things where he explains his actions or his feelings towards me, and it doesn't sound like love. It doesn't sound like a want to be with me, or a need to be with me, but more of a choice, perhaps because there is no one else interested in him... that's horrible to say, but he is such a hermit, and hates any situation where he could go out and possibly meet a girl, that he just asks out his friends on dates. Before we started dating, he actually asked out like 5 of the girls in the mutual friend circle, and, basically, I was the only one to say yes.

We dated for about 3 years, broke up, and during that time, we would still "hang out" and "make out" but he would always say that because he is doing this, does not mean that he wants to get back together. During this time, I wanted to get back with him, and he was hesistant. He even told me that he was out of love with me. and that he would never love me again. Devasted, I didn't know if I believed him, so I felt like if I kept making out with him and spending time with him, he would learn to love me again. Ugh, what was a thinking. Did I trick him? Is he capable of knowing his true feelings?

We started dating again 2 years after we broke up. He never dated anyone between our break up. In fact, he never really dated anyone before me! We dated a few more years, he proposed around our 7 year mark of dating. Still, it rings in my head, "I'll never love you again" What changed his mind? I've asked, he can never answer it. ...Why?

Now the problem:
    I know that I have low self esteem, and though this sounds hypocritical, I know that I can be very attractive, though, I'd have to take a lot of time to get to that point, lol. Anyways, we were talking about my insecurities one night and mentioned that I felt like he only asked me out because all other girls said no, and that perhaps he didn't even find me attractive at that time. He said "I found you more attractive as I got to know you". This made me feel like SHIT. He says he meant that I become more beautiful each day, yada yada yada. Whatever.

Then tonight, I mention that I am going out with the girls, and joking said that I was going to get dressed up when I went out to a bar with them. He flipped out and said that I only want other guys attention and his attention doesn't matter. I explained that it's a girl thing, and we need to feel attractive sometimes and we need to feel it in a different way. I would NEVER cheat, and he believes me. (I know my feelings here are irrational, but it's how I feel...it's how must girls feel. We just want to be attractive...) He is sad that he feels like his attention isn't good enough for me. But it is, it's just a girl thing (ugh, irrationalllll i knowwww)

We ended the conversation on a good note and we understood eachother. He then called me and said "Ya know, I think I kind of understand why I am upset a little with how you feel. When a couple goes out to a bar together, and the girl is dressed up, guys tend to want to 'show off' their girl. Like, 'hey look at me, look at the girl I am with. Isn't she attractive, look how lucky I am...' and with you.........." ( WOW HE IS ABOUT TO MAKE ME FEEL AMAZING)

"...........I don't feel that way. I don't have a need to show you off. I don't care. I'd rather people not look at you"

It broke my heart. I want him to feel like I am a prize. That I am something special, something he is lucky to have. Instead, I feel like he is just marrying me because he needs someone to birth his children, and something to have sex with (we are both waiting til marriage, so sometimes I am worried that he just wants to get married so he can finally have sex...IRRATIONAL? probably...but still probable.....)

Why doesn't he show LOVE. show DESIRE. show PASSION to be with me? I want him to WANT/NEED to be with me, not choose to. Ugh. Does this make sense?

Are ISTJs like this?!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Wow. There's a lot to deconstruct here.

First of all, I'd take MBTI right out of the equation at the beginning. It's just serving as a confounding factor. No, not all ISTJs are like this and not all ENFPs are like you.

Here's the real question -- it's not whether he loves you (which is important, yes) -- but whether YOU are satisfied by your relationship. It sounds like your self esteem problems are getting in the way of your analysis. Does he make you feel good? Can you see the couple growing in a mutually beneficial way? Do you love him or do you love an idealized version of him? Is there mutual understanding?

It sounds like you are really hurting. But maybe the best way to figure out what you want and need in a relationship is to work on yourself, not the relationship. It doesn't seem like you've ever really considered not being with him without being in a panic at the same time. Before you commit more of yourself to him, you're gonna need to get to a place where you can see what's happening from a rational perspective (don't worry, it's not an F thing or a woman thing, it's a personal growth thing).

I could probably say a lot more on the matter, but I'm a little pressed for time.

Love yourself.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    Are ISTJs like this?!
    No.

I echo what Evan said. I'd add RUN!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    No.

I was trying not to be so harsh...

Also, it's hard to know what his motivations are, since we're hearing about them 3rd-hand. I would guess some of it is worse than it sounds, some better. Hard to judge these things.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    No.

But why run? Does he seem like a bad guy? What are your impressions of him?

He is a good guy. He is the most kind, honest, trustworthy man I have ever met. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't think with his heart EVER. It's like he doesn't even realize what he says can be taken a different way.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Here's the real question -- it's not whether he loves you (which is important, yes) -- but whether YOU are satisfied by your relationship. It sounds like your self esteem problems are getting in the way of your analysis. Does he make you feel good? Can you see the couple growing in a mutually beneficial way? Do you love him or do you love an idealized version of him? Is there mutual understanding?

It sounds like you are really hurting. But maybe the best way to figure out what you want and need in a relationship is to work on yourself, not the relationship. It doesn't seem like you've ever really considered not being with him without being in a panic at the same time. Before you commit more of yourself to him, you're gonna need to get to a place where you can see what's happening from a rational perspective (don't worry, it's not an F thing or a woman thing, it's a personal growth thing).

I could probably say a lot more on the matter, but I'm a little pressed for time.

Love yourself.
    This is so hard to say. How can one tell if they love the idealized version? I mean, I idealize everything. But I know him. He is static. I know him through and through, and I do love him. I just dont feel loved by him all the time.

I can honestly say that I really TRULY felt loved was when he proposed. I felt like he really wanted it. But it was that week that I felt his heart. Ya know, like really feel it. I even told him that, I was like, I actually feel like you love me! he didn't like that too much. He is sad that I feel this way.

When we broke up for those couple years, the first year, we still hung out in a group, but never one on one. And I was seeing another boy and always thinking of my ISTJ and missing him. I know what I need in a relationship, and it;s the grounded that he provides. we are both Strong Christians and I love that too. He is the better part of me and I know that I need him to better myself. But I feel like he doesnt need me like I need him, ya know?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

But why run? Does he seem like a bad guy? What are your impressions of him?

He is a good guy. He is the most kind, honest, trustworthy man I have ever met. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't think with his heart EVER. It's like he doesn't even realize what he says can be taken a different way.
    I would probably also say "RUN!", but not necessarily because of him -- it has more to do with the way you described your relationship. If he were such a good guy and all that, why are you so insecure about his feelings for you? There's a reason for that, and even if it isn't "his fault", it's still a signifier that something is very wrong. It takes two to make a relationship work.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I would probably also say "RUN!", but not necessarily because of him -- it has more to do with the way you described your relationship. If he were such a good guy and all that, why are you so insecure about his feelings for you? There's a reason for that, and even if it isn't "his fault", it's still a signifier that something is very wrong. It takes two to make a relationship work.
    I'm insecure because he doesn't make me feel secure, I mean, he freaking told me that he'd never love me again. And with him being such an honest, non-drama, kind of person, I just want to know what changed his mind, and he can't answer it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I know what I need in a relationship, and it;s the grounded that he provides.
    Really though? You don't sound satisfied. I'm basing my questioning on that.

we are both Strong Christians and I love that too. He is the better part of me and I know that I need him to better myself. But I feel like he doesnt need me like I need him, ya know?
    Why do you know that you need him to better yourself? That's what most people think when they're in really long relationships, whether it's true or not. How do you know you don't just want to avoid dealing with the discomfort of working on yourself by yourself?

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but it's worth questioning. If you explore the question and find that you were right, then you strengthen a good relationship -- if you explore the question and find some deeper problems, you're doing exploring that needs to be done anyway.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Why do you know that you need him to better yourself? That's what most people think when they're in really long relationships, whether it's true or not. How do you know you don't just want to avoid dealing with the discomfort of working on yourself by yourself?

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, but it's worth questioning. If you explore the question and find that you were right, then you strengthen a good relationship -- if you explore the question and find some deeper problems, you're doing exploring that needs to be done anyway.
    I know I need him because I've tried life without him and it was hard. There isnt anyone like him, haha, it's really true. It's so hard to explain, but I know i'd NEVER find a guy like him again.

And all of this about working on myself -- I mean, what am I going to fix? The fact that I'm insecure? I'm used to other guys pursuing me, and telling me how awesome my personality is and that they find me attractive. He isn't so forward about it, he isn't quick to say it. It's like I have to work hard to impress him, where other guys are drawn to me...