User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 21

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lily flower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2
    Posts
    931

    Default Are ISTJ's insecure?

    Are ISTJ's ever insecure? What does that look like?

  2. #2
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I'd say avoidance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 2XtremeENFP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    446

    Default

    My ISTJ seems to be so humble that it may even be insecurity.

  4. #4
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    My ISTJ seems to be so humble that it may even be insecurity.
    I think you are on to something. (Hi again!) I've been told something similar, by friends: That my timidity and accomodating stance (or whatever you'd want to call it) seems to stem from insecurity sometimes.

    But what do we mean by "insecure"? Lily Flower sounds as if she expects it to be something that shakes an ISTJ's confidence in the moment, but usually it's things that are longer-term, eroding at the base of confidence over time. This may be harder to spot.

    An easy way to throw them off is to catch them unaware and take away their usual options to solve it, but I don't think that's what you mean.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  5. #5
    Senior Member 2XtremeENFP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    446

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I think you are on to something. (Hi again!) I've been told something similar, by friends: That my timidity and accomodating stance (or whatever you'd want to call it) seems to stem from insecurity sometimes.

    But what do we mean by "insecure"? Lily Flower sounds as if she expects it to be something that shakes an ISTJ's confidence in the moment, but usually it's things that are longer-term, eroding at the base of confidence over time. This may be harder to spot.

    An easy way to throw them off is to catch them unaware and take away their usual options to solve it, but I don't think that's what you mean.
    Hi again to you too!!

    Yeah, that is true. What kind of insecurity...

    To branch more from what I see with my ISTJ it is a lack of confidence for sure. Especially in situations where a person would need to exude confidence in order to succeed. For example, job interviews. He is looking for a new job, but he doesn't do well in interviews because he doesn't like to sell himself, or brag about himself, because he views it as untrue and surface-level. He can't say things just to say it. I think it's because he isn't confident in his skills or knowledge, all he is confident in, is that fact that he will work hard, he will show up on time, and he will finish projects on time. But sometimes, employers need to see more of a strong desire and passion that I think ISTJs can lack and that can be viewed as insecurity......if that makes sense?

  6. #6
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    To branch more from what I see with my ISTJ it is a lack of confidence for sure. Especially in situations where a person would need to exude confidence in order to succeed. For example, job interviews. He is looking for a new job, but he doesn't do well in interviews because he doesn't like to sell himself, or brag about himself, because he views it as untrue and surface-level. He can't say things just to say it. I think it's because he isn't confident in his skills or knowledge, all he is confident in, is that fact that he will work hard, he will show up on time, and he will finish projects on time. But sometimes, employers need to see more of a strong desire and passion that I think ISTJs can lack and that can be viewed as insecurity......if that makes sense?
    I completely relate to this. I don't think this scenario is, but I think other similar ones could just as well be. Hmm...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  7. #7
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    My Dad is ISTJ and he's not insecure. Maybe younger ISTJs are, but I don't think they're any more insecure than any other type. They are often more modest though and don't go around bragging.

  8. #8
    Perfect Gentleman! =D d@v3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    2,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    Hi again to you too!!

    Yeah, that is true. What kind of insecurity...

    To branch more from what I see with my ISTJ it is a lack of confidence for sure. Especially in situations where a person would need to exude confidence in order to succeed. For example, job interviews. He is looking for a new job, but he doesn't do well in interviews because he doesn't like to sell himself, or brag about himself, because he views it as untrue and surface-level. He can't say things just to say it.
    ..I can totally relate to this! Job interviews are very awkward for me. It helps a lot when the interviewer knows me.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    I think it's because he isn't confident in his skills or knowledge, all he is confident in, is that fact that he will work hard, he will show up on time, and he will finish projects on time. But sometimes, employers need to see more of a strong desire and passion that I think ISTJs can lack and that can be viewed as insecurity......if that makes sense?
    Yeah, this is the annoying part. I just don't understand how you can see "strong desire" and "passion" talking for 20 minutes with someone you don't know. To me, these things are demonstrated not spoken.

    As far as knowledge goes, here is an example:

    I'm confident in what I know, but I'm not so sure as to how well I could teach others this same knowledge. This is difficult for me because I'm probably going to end up teaching the youth at some point. ...And as an ISTJ, I am not so excellent when it comes to dealing with the kiddies!

    However, when it comes to knowledge on military or police protocols, I have full confidence in teaching. This is different though, because presumably, I would be teaching people who want to be there and need me to teach it to them!
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    I'm sure they can be, but no more or less than any other type. It may manifest differently from some though.
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  10. #10
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    I imagine that if they were truly insecure they would be the avoidant/angry type with deep paranoia about how the world is against him/her.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Similar Threads

  1. 70% of Chief Information Officers are ISTJs
    By highlander in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM
  2. [ISTJ] Why why why are ISTJ sooooo evasive?
    By GirlAmerica in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 12-14-2014, 08:02 PM
  3. [ISTJ] ISTJs are they all in the can for Mc Cain?
    By hermeticdancer in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-12-2008, 01:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO