User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    yay!!!!!!!!!

can i be an sj too?! i would like to be ESTJ please.....
    Of course!!

Also... your post made me realize that I was mixing my metaphors a little. Whoops!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I, for one, welcome my new SJ overlords!
    Super hot supplicants such as yourself will be the backbone of our freshly scrubbed utopia. You are most welcomed here

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    If the entire forum were like the NT rationale or the Philosophy/Religion and Politics subforums, I would never have joined. So I guess I agree with you there, in that a little bit of the reason why there aren't as many SJs on the forum is that they're repelled by the hyper-philosophical NT discussion. But at the same time I agree with @Orangey and @Oakysage. The problem isn't exclusively from one of those two things -- it's from both.
    Indeedy. I like deep thought and discussion as much as the next guy but yeesh...

Being an intellectual does not necessarily mean asking questions for the sake of asking questions, in the way you're assuming that it is.
    No kidding! All that does is make them pedantic and annoying.

Yes, SJs have a general distaste for people who sit around, ask themselves pointless questions, and don't get a real job -- but so does anyone who likes stuff to get done. (I have some INFJ and ENTJ friends who share that distaste.) But a lot of intellectuals -- e.g. most of the ones who work for universities -- spend their time writing papers that are relevant to real life issues, going to conferences that deal with real issues, etc, and a lot of the time their work is read by important people -- some of whom are policymakers or influence policymakers. (Which is why you see a lot of SJ university professors!! I've seen a bunch of them in poli sci and history departments. @Wind-Up Rex and I were just talking about one of them, actually )
    Totally agree!!!

EDIT: Also, for the record, I am a member of this forum because of its benefit to me and my understanding of myself and other people, and I believe that's why most people are here.
    That's pretty much what got me into typology. I want to recognize my weaknesses and grow so that I can be the best person I can be. I also want to understand the people around me because I like people and I want to get along with them

I also enjoy studying music, theology, the social sciences, etc, for the same reason -- and so do a lot of SJs I know.
    I love the social sciences. History too

If they aren't interested in typology, it's because they feel more confident in themselves and their interactions with other people than I do. A lot of my feelings of imperfection regarding communication etc, and a lot of my relief at reading things that tell me it's okay to be that way, would probably not be all that strong in, say, an ESTJ type 8. They aren't nearly as sensitive to imperfection (and being disliked by others and/or feeling like a jerk) as an ESTJ type 1w2 like me would feel.
    Some some other people I suspect who are SJs, they're not interested in it because they liken it to astrology - interesting, but not helpful.

Which I think is a shame because I've found it to be very helpful.

It's not Orangey's arrogant assumption -- it's the assumption of a whole lot of type descriptions online. Generally, the stereotype based on type descriptions is that the geniuses, masterminds, deep thinkers, movers/shakers, and overall mentally impressive people of the world are INPs and INJs -- NTs in the sciences, NFs in the arts.

The assumption is: It's not recommended that you be in academia or the sciences or the arts if you're an SJ... because it's not practical enough for you and you'll get bored. This assumption is wrong, and I explained why earlier in the post.
    Pretty much. SJ is damned near a pejorative on this forum. Everyone's uptight professor or ridged parents or blah blah blah must have been an SJ. It's almost like I'm afflicted with a disease or something.

Not that I give a shit. I like being me, but I do very much resent the idea that I'm some rigid, stuck-in-my-ways tight ass because I don't accept every hair brained idea that shits itself out of an NTs skull

ETA: My inferior Ne has been on the warpath the past couple of weeks. Starting to wonder if I'm reaching that point in my life now
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    That's pretty much what got me into typology. I want to recognize my weaknesses and grow so that I can be the best person I can be. I also want to understand the people around me because I like people and I want to get along with them
    Exactly!!!
    I love the social sciences. History too

Some some other people I suspect who are SJs, they're not interested in it because they liken it to astrology - interesting, but not helpful.

Which I think is a shame because I've found it to be very helpful.
    How bizarre! There are so many practical uses for it! I believe it was even invented with a practical use in mind: getting women jobs that suited their personalities when all the men were overseas in WWII!

Pretty much. SJ is damned near a pejorative on this forum. Everyone's uptight professor or ridged parents or blah blah blah must have been an SJ. It's almost like I'm afflicted with a disease or something.

Not that I give a shit. I like being me, but I do very much resent the idea that I'm some rigid, stuck-in-my-ways tight ass because I don't accept every hair brained idea that shits itself out of an NTs skull
    For sure! I feel ya, bro. I've talked with some other people on the forum about this -- and we agree that in terms of being rigid and stuck in your ways, NJs REALLY beat SJs. My STJ friends and I are MUCH more open to new ideas than my NFJ friends. (Don't get me wrong -- I <3 NFJs. Most of my friends are NFJ! But they are STUBBORN AS HELL!)

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"

MBTI
    IsFJ

I do think it is necessary not only to shred some of the old "traditionalist" stereotypes, but also to see SJs as keepers of systems and groups, rather than keepers of the status quo.

I kinda wish some profiles listed SJs that helped change or improve society. Like activists, for instance. Aren't there any SJs in the SJ movement?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

I propose that you write new type descriptions. Write them well and true and beautiful so that we can, in good consciousness, spread them across the internet. TypologyCentral, as one of the bigger forums concerning this game, seems a suitable place to start a new trend in stereotyping. Corresponding 'motivational posters' would be a good idea, too.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I agree with this. Any negative connotation of the S type is implied from comparing it to the N type.

Part of the forum, yeah. But not where I hang out!

If the entire forum were like the NT rationale or the Philosophy/Religion and Politics subforums, I would never have joined. So I guess I agree with you there, in that a little bit of the reason why there aren't as many SJs on the forum is that they're repelled by the hyper-philosophical NT discussion. But at the same time I agree with @Orangey and @Oakysage. The problem isn't exclusively from one of those two things -- it's from both.

Being an intellectual does not necessarily mean asking questions for the sake of asking questions, in the way you're assuming that it is. Yes, SJs have a general distaste for people who sit around, ask themselves pointless questions, and don't get a real job -- but so does anyone who likes stuff to get done. (I have some INFJ and ENTJ friends who share that distaste.) But a lot of intellectuals -- e.g. most of the ones who work for universities -- spend their time writing papers that are relevant to real life issues, going to conferences that deal with real issues, etc, and a lot of the time their work is read by important people -- some of whom are policymakers or influence policymakers. (Which is why you see a lot of SJ university professors!! I've seen a bunch of them in poli sci and history departments. @Wind-Up Rex and I were just talking about one of them, actually )

EDIT: Also, for the record, I am a member of this forum because of its benefit to me and my understanding of myself and other people, and I believe that's why most people are here. I also enjoy studying music, theology, the social sciences, etc, for the same reason -- and so do a lot of SJs I know. If they aren't interested in typology, it's because they feel more confident in themselves and their interactions with other people than I do. A lot of my feelings of imperfection regarding communication etc, and a lot of my relief at reading things that tell me it's okay to be that way, would probably not be all that strong in, say, an ESTJ type 8. They aren't nearly as sensitive to imperfection (and being disliked by others and/or feeling like a jerk) as an ESTJ type 1w2 like me would feel.

It's not Orangey's arrogant assumption -- it's the assumption of a whole lot of type descriptions online. Generally, the stereotype based on type descriptions is that the geniuses, masterminds, deep thinkers, movers/shakers, and overall mentally impressive people of the world are INPs and INJs -- NTs in the sciences, NFs in the arts.

The assumption is: It's not recommended that you be in academia or the sciences or the arts if you're an SJ... because it's not practical enough for you and you'll get bored. This assumption is wrong, and I explained why earlier in the post.
    Well, actually, I was going to say regarding the lack of SJ's on this forum, I think part of it is perhaps that this topic may be attractive to people who feel like they may have problems with their communication or personality- may see that everyone else acts a certain way and feel like they are alone. I can see potential for a lot of INJ's feeling this way since they are so few of the population so may feel that they have fewer like-minds to talk to. They can be certainly INJ's, and this is the place in the world where INJ's feel like they can shine-a personality forum. Their personalities are different. Since SJ's tend to be more common, they can actually be understood and stand out in the real world.

However, I think to assume that people are just trying to be a certain type just to be special and stand out is a bit of a stretch-(assuming that people are doing that kind of adds to the bias in a backwards way.) Anyway, if that is really true for anyone, it is a huge cop out since everybody on this forum knows, deep inside, that everybody is different and has something to offer the world. Each and every one of us is unique because we're unique. Not because of the letters we assign to our name on an internet forum- not from saying "I'm definitely not an SJ!" The more accurately a person can judge their personalities here, the more unique they will end up- because they can use it for their own growth. If you're calling yourself an INTP while you're really an ISTJ, you're just selling yourself short. In other words, it's their own issue.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    I do think it is necessary not only to shred some of the old "traditionalist" stereotypes, but also to see SJs as keepers of systems and groups, rather than keepers of the status quo.
    Keepers of the status quo if it works. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke..."
    I kinda wish some profiles listed SJs that helped change or improve society. Like activists, for instance. Aren't there any SJs in the SJ movement?
    For sure! Can't think of examples at present -- because I'm guessing anyone who was a "visionary" would be typed as an N. You should start a typing thread about it!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post

Leave the engine repair to the ISTP's, please. If it weren't for motor vehicles, ISTP's would run out of things to do... SJ's have bills to pay and office chairs to keep warm.
    My ESTJ boyfriend was a tank mechanic in the Marines and was a motorcycle tech. So they do like engine repair. Well, they tolerate it. I would say I have an element of sophistication. Definitely a lot more patience when things don't go easy. He just goes in with a hammer and a litany of curse words for backup. LOL

I thought I would also share something that happened last night. We were walking to a restaurant and passed an avante guarde art store. The store woman was wearing bright colors and had a small turban on. She didn't look strange to me. She looked like an artist in her element. He turned to me, kinda shook his head as if he'd seen it all and said, "I don't get this free spirit thing at all."

LOL. I laughed and patted his shoulder, "It's okay babe."

He wouldn't be interested in MBTI. I don't think most ESTJ's have the patience for it.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    My ESTJ boyfriend was a tank mechanic in the Marines and was a motorcycle tech. So they do like engine repair. Well, they tolerate it. I would say I have an element of sophistication. Definitely a lot more patience when things don't go easy. He just goes in with a hammer and a litany of curse words for backup. LOL
    err... I was kidding :/
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Yeah. I didn't take you super seriously. Just thought I'd share.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance