• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] Does everyone REALLY have an ESFJ mom?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wondered this myself. I think there are a lot of ESFJ's in general, so maybe that's why so many moms that are that way. I decided my mom was ESFJ before knowing all the stereotypes and stuff.

V

violaine

No, definitely not. And neither does my BF. (Hmm, nor any BF I've really connected with, come to think of it. Wonder if there is anything to that? I've gotten along best with guys whose Moms are a bit quirky and cool. Not to say an ESFJ can't be that.)

A

Anew Leaf

My mom was an ENFP and for most of my life we went together like oil and water.

My two grandmothers are/were ISFJ/ESTJ.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
It's so bizarre for me to think of having a "life of the party, 24/7 hostess, driven by what others think of her" mom. I love my mom to bits but she is nothing remotely like any of that. I have wondered sometimes how differently I might have turned out if she were that "traditional" sort of mom. I think I did sometimes wish that my mom was a bit more like other moms. :laugh:

Could you elaborate on this?

I, of course, have an ESFJ mom (though she doesn't fit the stereotype necessarily, she's an ESFJ the way I'm an INTJ I feel...our personalities are markedly constructed by our functions, but we both seem relatively in tune with the NTP and SFP parts of ourselves, as a result neither of us really has the stability you might expect from an SJ or TJ, she's also more F than S). We get on significantly better as we age and can bring out the best and the worst in each other. I've come to admire her.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Could you elaborate on this?

I, of course, have an ESFJ mom (though she doesn't fit the stereotype necessarily, she's an ESFJ the way I'm an INTJ I feel...our personalities are markedly constructed by our functions, but we both seem relatively in tune with the NTP and SFP parts of ourselves, as a result neither of us really has the stability you might expect from an SJ or TJ, she's also more F than S). We get on significantly better as we age and can bring out the best and the worst in each other. I've come to admire her.

Hmm... How would I describe it? I did feel quite often like she didn't really get me emotionally and sometimes she even belittled my feelings, which really hurt me. (ie. she would think I was crying to get sympathy, when I really really just couldn't help it.) She understands me better now in terms of how emotional I am, I feel (and I also see her emotional side in a healthier way...I used to feel like when I saw her strong emotions it was usually something scary/unpleasant like she was fighting with my dad, and when she displayed what I now realise was Fe it could come across kind of fake.) She'd tend to get kind of stressed out and weird if I wanted to have friends over or something so that I tended to feel like I just didn't want to have them over, really (although I was shy so sincerely I probably didn't want to that much...!). She also completely didn't get it if I wanted to have clothes which were actually, you know, in fashion. :dry:

On the other hand, she loved my creativity and imagination and did a great deal to encourage that. She was always taking us out to the library (which was such a magical place for me) and museums etc and my brother and I just loved that. Both my parents, and especially my mom, really nurtured my intellect and my passions with great care. My parents were very liberal about what they let us read while very strict in some other areas.

I do think that growing up in a family of IxxJs, in some ways we kept too much to ourselves and were too reserved, although the advantage was that my family understood me reasonably well (though not entirely how emotional I was - much like now I looked fairly quiet and reserved but had a lot of emotion just under the surface) and they certainly didn't mind if I spent hours in my room reading and writing and so on. Well, if the weather was good, my mom would throw us outdoors, but she'd be fine with us reading outside. :laugh: We were also pretty active kids - it was a very well rounded childhood in a great many ways. But as far as the reserved family thing, I felt like I only had an opportunity to really become a people person somewhat later in life when I moved out (and I was 23 by then.)

EDIT: I re-read this and thought that either my mom and I have both become more well-rounded, or you just understand each other better as you age. Probably both. ;) I understand better the forces and frustrations which have shaped her life, and she understands better that I want to dress fashionably, and that I'm emotional... ;)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I know what yer sayin'. Not that I have an ESFJ mom, but I think it really shows that you can't discern someone else's type for them, especially if you only know them in a certain context that forces them to adopt a different persona. A while ago I was discussing typology with my boss. She told me she was an ISFP, and I privately/arrogantly thought she was ACTUALLY an ESFJ, she just lacks self-awareness and knowledge of typology and I am just soooo perceptive, blah, blah, blah. She's no withdrawn artsy-fart! My boss is concerned about collective morale and maintaining the rules. ESFJ, obviously. But then I realized I only thought that because she was an authority figure in a customer service job. The more I have gotten to know her outside of her role as a boss, the more I realize she was an ISFP all along, and the more I realize I am a prejudiced bastard.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Anyone think there's something to the thought that ESFJs are, by their defining characteristics, more likely to "want" and carry through with motherhood and child-rearing? I've seen this idea put forward before. That would lead to them being presented in higher proportions than their population. And as their proportion of the population is already large, this creates a huge "lead" beyond other types.

(I decided my mom's an ISFJ, and she typed herself as ISFJ as well when she casually glanced at MBTI.)

Last edited:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone think there's something to the thought that ESFJs are, by their defining characteristics, more likely to "want" and carry through with motherhood and child-rearing? I've seen this idea put forward before. That would lead to them being presented in higher proportions than their population. And as their proportion of the population is already large, this creates a huge "lead" beyond other types.

Yes.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

(I decided my mom's an ISFJ, and she typed herself as ISFJ as well when she casually glanced at MBTI.)

This was discussed somewhat earlier in the thread. There may be a little bit of something to it but...as others said, I don't think decisions to have children is strongly affected by MBTI type. There are SO many other factors at work. Culture, circumstances, what the woman's partner wants, and hey...I think plenty of women of non-xSFJ types want kids, or else they just fall pregnant and carry the baby to term and keep it.

It's not that improbable for non-xSFJ women to want and bear children. :coffee:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah, it's not the first time I've thought it. Whenever the thought would enter my mind I'd reject it though. Not cause I dislike ESTJs or anything but because she can be quite uhhh emotional sometimes, and I automatically associate emotion with F, but it's not really the Fe kind of emotional. It's more Te emotional.

It could even be Fi. ESTJs and ENTJs, having Fi in the inferior position, are more likely to be ruled by it without even realizing it. The inferior function isn't just weak, but uncontrolled. In the same way as an INTJ or INFJ will become ultra-focused, or totally oblivious, to their surroundings and real-world facts, having Se as inferior.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My mother tests out ENFJ.

And it makes sense.

So I recant. :)

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
anyway, my mother is truly ESFJ, i believe. she is outgoing (doesn't prefer to sit and self-reflect), detail-oriented and present-focused (doesn't prefer the abstract or big picture), interpersonally gifted (doesn't prefer hard logic), and decisive (doesn't prefer to leave things to chance). these are characteristics she has had all her life, not ones she developed to fill her "mom role". she is a teacher and handles our practical household matters - bills, groceries, vacation planning. dad is an INTP - her exact opposite in many ways. for the record, ESFJ mom and i get along fabulously.

My mom is also a true ESFJ -- but other than her extremely Fe parenting style, she does not fit the stereotype of an ESFJ mother. She doesn't much like philosophical discussion and tends to pull it back to earth... but she has an acute sense of how people will react to events. She's also very interested in politics and people's reactions to the candidates, etc. She supports several radical changes in all directions, despite the idea that Si hates any and all changes :rolleyes:. She is very worldly, has a lot of practical knowledge... she is not at all stupid, that ESFJ stereotype also needs to die fast. lol.

My mom and I get along well, too. We were at odds when I was younger, but since the age of say 18 (I'm 21 now) we have gotten along MUCH better. I find I become more like her as I age, and I am better able to see the validity in her viewpoints/discussions... and I think this is because I "grew up". She hasn't changed much, I have just gained some maturity. Funny thing, isn't it -- the types of people complaining most about their ESFJ mothers, are also the types that claim they love new points of view etc.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My mom is also a true ESFJ -- but other than her extremely Fe parenting style, she does not fit the stereotype of an ESFJ mother. She doesn't much like philosophical discussion and tends to pull it back to earth... but she has an acute sense of how people will react to events. She's also very interested in politics and people's reactions to the candidates, etc. She supports several radical changes in all directions, despite the idea that Si hates any and all changes :rolleyes:. She is very worldly, has a lot of practical knowledge... she is not at all stupid, that ESFJ stereotype also needs to die fast. lol.

my mom's a liberal in a number of ways and is very "down to earth" in the sense that she's very live-and-let-live. and she may prefer application to theory, but she is not stupid at all. i'm constantly impressed by her ability to plan, coordinate, and implement. i have no idea how our family would even function without her.

Funny thing, isn't it -- the types of people complaining most about their ESFJ mothers, are also the types that claim they love new points of view etc.

:hifive:

i've seen a lot of INTs complaining (not in this thread, i mean, just across the board), but i feel like there's just an INT-ESFJ mental disconnect that is hard for some parent-child pairs to overcome... the INT child sees the ESFJ parent as meddling, coddling, uninteresting... though my INTP brother has a pretty tight bond with our ESFJ mom, so there's that, too... i think the Fe/Ti connection works out for them...

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
my mom's a liberal in a number of ways and is very "down to earth" in the sense that she's very live-and-let-live. and she may prefer application to theory, but she is not stupid at all. i'm constantly impressed by her ability to plan, coordinate, and implement. i have no idea how our family would even function without her.

My mom is totally the same way. She is the most stable member of our family and does things the rest of us (who are all Ps...lol) can easily overlook or take for granted. If it weren't for her, we wouldn't function either.

i've seen a lot of INTs complaining (not in this thread, i mean, just across the board), but i feel like there's just an INT-ESFJ mental disconnect that is hard for some parent-child pairs to overcome... the INT child sees the ESFJ parent as meddling, coddling, uninteresting... though my INTP brother has a pretty tight bond with our ESFJ mom, so there's that, too... i think the Fe/Ti connection works out for them...

I agree that it can be hard for young (I)NTs to bridge the gap with SFs, especially SFJs. I would say that it takes maturity for people of vastly different types to get along, more than with similar types. And a young NT is understandably not mature. I think that is the root of the problem.

But also there is the issue of power -- generally, the child is subordinate to the parent. The ESFJ may not want to understand / can't understand the young INT at all, and still expect to parent well, which won't work. So essentially the NT is having the wrong parenting style enforced on them, and the shit hits the fan.

G

Glycerine

My mom is an almost off the charts Fi INFP (officially tested...she scored close to 100% F) and my dad is an ESFJ.

I got along with my mom pretty well but felt misunderstood because I would have to walk on eggshells constantly not to hurt her sensibilities.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My mom's ISFJ.

Apparently. :/

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
I do wonder - what would an INTx parent with an ESFJ kid look like? :thinking:

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do wonder - what would an INTx parent with an ESFJ kid look like? :thinking:

Apparently not many people will admit to having an INTx parent at all. I'm pretty sure I have one, however. And I can occasionally be ESFJ-like. ;) Or at least ExFJ-like. I think I was more like an INTJ as a kid (and maybe even up to 23-24) in large part because of my family's influence and because I've always been encouraged to hvae intellectual pursuits.

N

NPcomplete

Apparently not many people will admit to having an INTx parent at all. I'm pretty sure I have one, however. And I can occasionally be ESFJ-like. ;) Or at least ExFJ-like. I think I was more like an INTJ as a kid (and maybe even up to 23-24) in large part because of my family's influence and because I've always been encouraged to hvae intellectual pursuits.

Hahah my dad is an INTP and we get along very well. :D I sometimes think that he's the person who gets me the most (except for my INFJ sister who can enter my mind whenever she feels like it. But I can too. :cool:). My mom's an ENFJ..I feel that most of our conflicts are Fe/Fi related.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, maybe I should have said "hardly anyone will admit to having an NT mom." I just looked back through this entire thread where a lot of people volunteered what they think their mom's type is. Patches said hers is an ENTJ. I think mine is an INTJ (she has tested as such too). THere were no others!

By extension: are all mothers really Feelers? :huh: I think one or two other people volunteered xSTJ moms, that was all.