User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

INFJ mom.

MBTI
    IsFJ

I think I've got an ISFP mom and an ESFJ dad.

Dad's not stereotypically SJ-ish for the most part, but he displays some of the... drawbacks of Fe dominance. He's also got that "everybody's dad" vibe to him, always helping friends out and stuff.

Mom's not a homebound person, although she is both very caring and in a profession usually associated with Fe (psychiatry). She also draws us out of our shells as much as she can without being too intrusive.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Riva

My mom is an ESFP.
    She is more active, athletic (atleast used to be), extroverted than I am.
    She is also quite fun.
    Always upbeat, happy and active.
    A bit careless and clumsy too .

If I am ever forcefully magically changed to any other type and had a last wish, I would probably ask to be changed in to an ESFP.

MBTI
    INtP

I think this is a combination of a few things:

1. There are a lot of SFJ's out there, including Moms (see Peacebaby's stats)
    2. There is a definite cultural bias in favor of exhibiting SJ-type characteristics in both parental roles and corporate roles
    3. When forced to adhere to a set of behaviors (ie, at work, or when responsible for a child), those actions can rub off on people, however unnatural they may be.
    4. People are, in general, not very good at "typing" others, particularly when they see them primarily through a role (parent, co-worker, etc).

Emphasis on the last point... how many of these "my Mom's an ESFJ" claimants know that because their Mom told them so, and how many are just projecting their own interpretations of their Mom onto that judgement? My guess is that a lot more kids see their Moms as xSFJ's than Moms see themselves as xSFJ's (but there *are* a lot of xSFJ Moms, and non-Moms, out there).

As for me, my Mom's very much an ISFJ (by her own reckoning, and I certainly agree with her). Grandmom however, is absolutely not... I don't know her opinion on the matter, but I'd say xNTJ of one stripe or another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I think INTPs and INTJs both.

I was going through the sticky thread on family types in the main MBTI forum. I was reading the posts before looking to see what type the forum member had posted as their own. There were an enormous number who said "I just can't talk to my mom...she's so boring and nosy...and she's ESFJ" who when I checked were either INTP or INTJ. In fact, I think most of the people who claimed ESFJ moms and made comments like that were INTx.
    INFJ with ESFJ mom: ''She is a great person, we get along fine. <Insert something you envy about her>''
    INFP with ESFJ mom: ''She means well but I sometimes feel misunderstood''
    INTX with ESFJ mom: ''She is boring!!! And nosy!''
    Thing is, the many INFX's ESFJ moms may be in fact boring and nosy, and more often than not the INTX's ESFJ moms are in fact great people, but it usually goes unmentioned. This could be atributed to T and F differences in perception, Enneagram 4 and 5 differences, general T/F incompatibilities...(ok, that's enough!)
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

My mum is a ISFJ. She is a great mum and is supportive and nurturing toward her children, not pushy or judgmental. She intelligent and well read and I often have philosophical discussions with her - so I would go easy on the stereotyping of XSFJs as difficult mothers or anti-intellectual types. As for my grandmothers, I believe they are both ISTJs (although its possible either could be extroverted). They're a lot more judgmental, pedantic and neither are very skilled in the tact department - they may not be terribly warm and fuzzy but I do love them nonetheless.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    My guess is that a lot more kids see their Moms as xSFJ's than Moms see themselves as xSFJ's (but there *are* a lot of xSFJ Moms, and non-Moms, out there).
    Is ones type based on how one sees themselves or how others see them? THAT is the question.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Is ones type based on how one sees themselves or how others see them? THAT is the question.
    If MBTI is real, then the reality of your type should be independent of how you perceive it, or how others perceive it.

Then again, if you think you're an INFJ and everyone else thinks you're an ESTP, you may want to double-check, I guess.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    If MBTI is real, then the reality of your type should be independent of how you perceive it, or how others perceive it.
    This is why I don't really trust the tests because the answers will be based on someone's perception. Have you ever met someone who acts exactly opposite of how they think they are?

Then again, if you think you're an INFJ and everyone else thinks you're an ESTP, you may want to double-check, I guess.
    I've not gotten very many people to take the test but the few who I have (including myself) I typed in my mind before the test was done and I haven't been off the mark yet. For instance, I think I'm ISFx, sometimes ISFP, sometimes ISFJ and the only time I took the official test I got ISFP. Unofficially I've gotten ESFP, ISFP, and ISFJ. Unfortunately no one I know well in real life knows anything about MBTI to tell me what they think my type is.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    This is why I don't really trust the tests because the answers will be based on someone's perception. Have you ever met someone who acts exactly opposite of how they think they are?
    There is one member on this forum who recently was determinedly typing herself as INFJ while everyone told her she was ESTP. Odd, that. I still think she may have been having fun watching us all trying to convince her that, if nothing else, the last type she's likely to be is INFJ.

In the case of the original premise of this thread - of course in most cases we don't know if it's just the child tying the mom as ESFJ, or if others have also typed her as such, or if any of the other people involved have any interest in MBTI...etc.

But particularly when ESFJ and ESTJ are the two types most often singled out for hatred and rampant stereotyping...it does all make me wonder.

It's funny, I wonder why I should care so much about this. To be very honest, I have had a few unfortunate experiences of various kinds with ESFJs and ESTJs IRL (though I think I've also had good experiences - I definitely have lots of SJ friends). But all the generalising that tends to go on annoys me.

It reminds me of how I feel when I hear Europeans bashing Americans, which happens a great deal over here. I end up defending the Americans, a lot. And I'm Canadian.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING