User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    And there have been loads of children throughout history resulting from unplanned pregnancies, in or out of married relationships. Women of all types have sex and are capable of conceiving. In so many cases motherhood has barely been a "choice", and that would apply to the generation of our moms and grandmothers too, in large part.
    And that would often not result in the kind of prolonged, constant contact with your mother that I'm talking about, which is part of my (half-hearted) point.

As for ESFJ men, I don't think I have a huge problem identifying them. One of my best friends is one, and I think he "acts" ESTPish, because he wants to be seen that way. Maybe I have trouble identifying ISFJ men, though.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    And that would often not result in the kind of prolonged, constant contact with your mother that I'm talking about, which is part of my (half-hearted) point.
    It just as often would result in that type of "prolonged constant contact" though. Scenario: married couple doesn't want kids but she falls pregnant accidentally. That doesn't automatically mean that she is going to be a distant mother or dislike the kid. (I know enough people who have been in this scenario and they have usually turned out to be great moms.)

Although I don't have statistics to hand, there are also huge numbers of single moms who end up with a kid and don't give them up for adoption, or abandon them, or become distant neglectful moms. I feel there are way way way too many variables here. I would suspect too that a mom in such a situation might seem less like an xSFJ type because of not having that traditional "nuclear family" background. Regardless of what her real type is, I would guess that a mom in a "traditional family" is more likely to be typed as xSFJ, and a single mom who is working constantly to support herself and the child, dating different guys, etc might seem more like...well, like xxFP or xxTP, anyway.

I also very much doubt that every xSFJ woman "wants" kids. How can things possibly be that simple?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I would suspect too that a mom in such a situation might seem less like an xSFJ type because of not having that traditional "nuclear family" background. Regardless of what her real type is, I would guess that a mom in a "traditional family" is more likely to be typed as xSFJ, and a single mom who is working constantly to support herself and the child, dating different guys, etc might seem more like...well, like xxFP or xxTP, anyway.
    I think that supports both of our views, kind of...

I also very much doubt that every xSFJ woman "wants" kids. How can things possibly be that simple?
    Of course not, but I never intended that. Just more likely than others, for the reasons I gave above. More inclined to traditional role, duty, and social expectation.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I think that supports both of our views, kind of...

Of course not, but I never intended that. Just more likely than others, for the reasons I gave above. More inclined to traditional role, duty, and social expectation.
    Yeah, I see what you mean about it supporting both our views.

I think it leads me to contemplate whether MBTI is both nature and nurture, whereas I've always understood it was supposed to be pretty much purely nature.

And if the circumstances/societal expectations/etc around someone have led them to act like an ESFJ and even consider themselves ESFJ...does that mean that really is what they are, or is their "real" type being "hidden" from them by environment or circumstances?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Glycerine

I would love to see someone volunteer their grandmother as ISTP or ENTP or something like that. I think PB said one of her grandmas is INTJ, though.

Is there an argument that in the last few decades (like, since our moms and grandmothers) there are more T women than there used to be?

It could make sense in some ways, but if MBTI is really nature rather than nurture, I don't think that should be the case.
    I think my grandma is ISTP?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    I think my grandma is ISTP?
    That's awesome.

Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Fuck no, my mom is an ESTJ hardass, and my paternal grandmother is an ISTJ. I don't know about my maternal grandmother, though...she may well be ESFJ. There are a lot of them in this world.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Yeah, I see what you mean about it supporting both our views.

I think it leads me to contemplate whether MBTI is both nature and nurture, whereas I've always understood it was supposed to be pretty much purely nature.

And if the circumstances/societal expectations/etc around someone have led them to act like an ESFJ and even consider themselves ESFJ...does that mean that really is what they are, or is their "real" type being "hidden" from them by environment or circumstances?
    You ask some good questions.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Americans in particular?

Seriously, I know this is turning into a bit of a hangup for me...but it just seems like I've read a truly disproportionate number of descriptions of ESFJ moms (ie. when people list the types of family members, etc). Dads, brothers and sisters can be pretty much any type at all. Moms are 99% ESFJ!

I have serious doubts about this. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of ESFJ moms (quite a few people seem to have ISFJs too) but...I just can't believe there are that many. Other types of women reproduce. What also seems noteworthy is that a majority of people who talk about their relationship with their "ESFJ mom" will describe her as annoying, interfering, etc. Almost as though if you have a mom you don't get along with, she has to be ESFJ.

It just seems very much like a variant on the "all annoying/domineering bosses, dads and just people are ESTJs" trope. I think a lot of (particularly American, of a certain generation) women have been socialized to act very ESFJ - or else that's the default for "annoying mom" type. I remember reading in an Enneagram book that for women over 40, test results of 2 should be taken with a grain of salt because there will probably be a disproportionate and inaccurate number of these results. Very similar to the ESFJ thing, I think.

Thoughts? Or am I just a crank? For the record, my mom is probably an INTJ. She is definitely IxxJ and she is almost certainly not a Feeler.
    My Mama is an INFJ.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

My Mothra is another ENFJ, but a total herb and stereotypical 'Mom' in a lot of her lectures and sentiments .
    The only people I've known with esfj moms are INFPs from this forum, unless they've just been off my radar in real life.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance