User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    XNTP
    Enneagram

My mom is ESFJ and she has a ESFP friend/ follower with an INTP and ISFP daughters
    Always forward, never back!

"I always love talking to people and hearing their story. People always have a good life story to tell ya know?"

My blog in regular blogs

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    If the statistics are correct in saying that intuitives make up about 25% of the populace... And only 25% of women are thinking types... How many NT women do you think there are out there? Then looking at this forum with the few hundred regular posters... And then this tread with a dozen or two participants... Why is it surprising that only two people say they have NT mothers? makes sense to me.

And, uh, no... All mothers are not feelers, but there will be a greater number of them versus thinking types.
    I agree that there are likely to be somewhat more Feelers than Thinkers in the mom-population. (in the female population generally).

However, from what I've observed on this forum people will consistently claim to know a lot of Ts, NTs, etc in other aspects of life - including the women that they know. Fathers, boyfriends, girlfriends, wives, friends, bosses, etc. It therefore would surprise me if in reality so few people had a T or NT mom. I think that if you look through that thread I initially referred to (where a lot more people volunteered their family member's types) there will be a similar trend. (although I think there are a number of ISTJ moms).

The reason I find all this odd is because it seems to be consistently moms and grandmothers who get typed as xSFJ. There is a big variety among other family relationships, and just relationships in general. Among moms and grandmothers, no. Very little variety. Hordes of xSFJs. Which is why I'm led to conclude that a lot of it is stereotyping.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

my mom is ESFJ, unfortunately
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    GONE

I get the feeling within these 12 pages people might have proferred (dammit spellcheck, that is a real word!) the idea that XSFJs are more prone to be mothers. This idea blows my mind, especially considering the year we live in. Go back 20-30 minimum years and I'm pretty sure women - regardless of socioeconomic background, race, or personality type - were expected to get married and have kids all around the world. Same for guys though not as much. I'm surprised there isn't a thread about "are all fathers really XXX" The reason there isn't a parallel is the idea that moms are usually XXX type is much more about gender role expectations and less about a real link between personality type and parenthood.

Biowomen regardless of type during 'child bearing age' generally have working uteruses and are able to get pregnant. It is a genetic imperative and therefore usually quite easy to get pregnant. Ergo motherhood. I don't think type has anything to do with it. Most women I know past the age of 40 are mothers. Most women I know past 40 are not XSFJs.

Now, types most likely NOT to be mothers. There's an interesting thread!

I get the feeling this is kinda like the idea that XXXX type of people are bad drivers. You see and remember the anecdotal evidence that backs up what you already believe and forget/ignore the rest. Also, this thread kinda invites people to offer up their own moms as XSFJ examples.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

The fact that I mentioned Terry Bradshaw as ESFJ on one hand (and he even gets mentioned on one public page as a sort of archetype of one), and then there's this whole "mom" perception on the other hand, shows just how misunderstood that type even is.

I don't expect everyone to know who Bradshaw is, or even to care to look it up (needless to say, he's an old Football legend), but someone like that should make you think twice before pushing all of your grandmas in this category. "Grandma" and ESFJ is not the same thing.

Another person somewhat like Bradshaw (I think) is Matthew McConaughey. They even played Father/Son in some movie recently. A lot of people might type McConaughey as ESFP (again, because he's kind of cool and not your grandma), but I don't think it's as clearcut myself.

I know using celebrities isn't the best way to make an argument. It's just food for thought.

Actually, a lot of the blame can probably be laid on Keirsey and his whole "Guardian" category.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would love to see someone volunteer their grandmother as ISTP or ENTP or something like that. I think PB said one of her grandmas is INTJ, though.

Is there an argument that in the last few decades (like, since our moms and grandmothers) there are more T women than there used to be?

It could make sense in some ways, but if MBTI is really nature rather than nurture, I don't think that should be the case.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Actually, a lot of the blame can probably be laid on Keirsey and his whole "Guardian" category.
    Yes, but I do think that SJs are more likely than other types to have a personality like the "Guardians" that he described. And following from that, a personality more comfortable with the idea of raising (being a guardian for) children as a "calling" of his/her life. Sense of duty and traditional role and social expectation also more likely impact SFJ types somewhat more powerfully (but not overwhelmingly; as CzeCze said, it is a biological drive) than other types, and all those things also support the motherhood mentality. Probably not as disproportionate as we see, but giving a slant toward it.

Not to mention that women of the generation that are mothers or grandmothers now may have often been expected/taught to "act" like SFJs, even when they aren't...
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Yes, but I do think that SJs are more likely than other types to have a personality like the "Guardians" that he described. And following from that, a personality more comfortable with the idea of raising (being a guardian for) children as a "calling" of his/her life. Sense of duty and traditional role and social expectation also more likely impact SFJ types somewhat more powerfully (but not overwhelmingly; as CzeCze said, it is a biological drive) than other types, and all those things also support the motherhood mentality. Probably not as disproportionate as we see, but giving a slant toward it.
    I just tend to think that the slant is likely to be very slight. A bit more of a slant with there being more SJs in the population and quite a lot of xSFJ women - but only a bit of a slant. A tiny one in terms of "xSFJ will more likely choose to be parents." I just don't think people make those kinds of choices on that basis, by and large. And there have been loads of children throughout history resulting from unplanned pregnancies, in or out of married relationships. Women of all types have sex and are capable of conceiving. In so many cases motherhood has barely been a "choice", and that would apply to the generation of our moms and grandmothers too, in large part.

I mean, do people think it's a real aberration for my mom to be INTJ? I'm almost getting that impression from some posts. And she did want kids. It was not forced upon her.

Not to mention that women of the generation that are mothers or grandmothers now may have often been expected/taught to "act" like SFJs, even when they aren't...
    I think this is key. Perhaps in many cases it is too hard to look beyond circumstances/socialization/expectations etc to what someone's true type is. I don't know.

I guess I just think people should take a harder look at their moms and grandmothers. I'm sure many of you do have ESFJ moms and grandmas. But I also think in reality it's probably quite a bit less heavily weighted in that direction.

Incidentally, I'm none too sure about either of my (now dead) grandmothers as I don't feel I knew either of them well enough. But I am pretty much certain my Finnish grandmother was an F, and my Canadian grandmother more likely T. My somewhat wild guesses would be IxFJ or IxFP (really don't know about S/N) for Finnish grandmother, and ESTJ for Canadian grandmother. But I did not know either of them well and may be falling into some generational/role stereotypes if I try to type them.

My grandfathers both died before I was born so though I've obviously heard about them, I really have no idea. Though actually I suspect there's a good chance they were both NTs.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

In any case, I think it plays out differently from locale to locale (or culture or culture). Guardians in the abstract.

I also think EFJ men resemble ETPs at times (the people oriented, outgoing side of ETP at least), but carry less... umm.. weight or swagger, if you will (can't think of a good word for it atm... just that Se dominants just range from being imposing to stylish to noticably irresponsible in some eyes.. ). That all said, they can still be typical dudes. It's not like they're all condemned to be the Church Lady.