• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs and artistic self-expression

Space Socks

MBTI Type
ISFJ
The stereotype about SJs is that they don't care all that much about art, or individuality, or self-expression. If my life and perspective is any indication, then this stereotype is total BS.

I care a lot about self-expression. It may not be evident all the time, but I always remember that need as soon as I'm deprived of it. For example, I spent the whole summer living with my aunt, and when I realized that I wasn't allowed to personalize the room where I'd be living, I was frustrated to the point that I felt the need to rebel, and I started consciously leaving the room messy -- anything to prove that I had been there, that the place was mine.

^This isn't a side of SJs that people hear about.

Fellow SJs, what are your thoughts on individuality, and artistic expression, and how they relate to your aesthetics and how you live your life?

I find myself most expressive when I've been pushed to some degree of anger, frustration, inescapable madness etc. Having been in art school for over 3 years now, and looking back at my most meaningful work I'd have to say that there is some kind of unique, creative drive that comes after some phase of suffering.

To dissociate myself from all the things around me, all the tasks and relationships with people, I feel deep inside a love for loneliness. But I don't really know this until I've poured my eyes out from the buildup of mixed feelings. I forget that I surround myself with those that I know need me, to the point I forget I need time for myself.

Sil

This is a test.
The stereotype about SJs is that they don't care all that much about art, or individuality, or self-expression. If my life and perspective is any indication, then this stereotype is total BS.

I care a lot about self-expression. It may not be evident all the time, but I always remember that need as soon as I'm deprived of it. For example, I spent the whole summer living with my aunt, and when I realized that I wasn't allowed to personalize the room where I'd be living, I was frustrated to the point that I felt the need to rebel, and I started consciously leaving the room messy -- anything to prove that I had been there, that the place was mine.

^This isn't a side of SJs that people hear about.

Fellow SJs, what are your thoughts on individuality, and artistic expression, and how they relate to your aesthetics and how you live your life?

That's actually really interesting. Thanks for sharing that story.

I don't think about self-expression outside of a power framework. I'm not even sure what self-expression would look like besides that...do I wear something to show what I think I am? As in a suit? Or polished shoes?

Also don't care about the concept of individuality, or the expression of it outside of legal matters. I find it trite, overhyped, and sorely uninteresting.

I am, however, big on independence and personal responsibility, which probably falls in line with individuality...just on the less romantic, more pragmatic side of it.

As to art...I make art. I write and design, both as a hobby and as a professional. I don't really classify myself an artist or consider myself artistic. I just do what I like and it happens to fall in the liberal arts side of things

Basically, I think the short answer is I don't think about these that often. I do what I do and that's what's more important to me.

I guess if we were looking at it though, I would say I do value all three and embrace them in my own life. I just do it through action than abstraction.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I write fiction and songs (Which is basically poetry). The songs are purely for self expression, but I don't know why I like writing fiction. It's just interesting to put characters in different situations.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I also enjoy creative writing. Did NaNoWriMo in 2012. Fantasy is my favorite genre. Sometimes I just get ideas and I can't get them out of my head until there's some sort of physical manifestation of them on paper or something. There's something really soothing about it. My stories, my characters--they are a part of me because they came from me.