• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJ - A practical example

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the OP. I can't very well analyze it and post the results. A less emotionally-charged example would help.

Nicodemus

I'm sorry for your loss, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the OP. I can't very well analyze it and post the results. A less emotionally-charged example would help.
image.php

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. :hug: If I can help, just let me know.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Shit dude. Do what you gotta do.

...but watch out too. These are the people you care about, even if it doesn't feel that way some times.

Not being able to go to gym must suck cuz you can't relieve stress or calories. Try running outside? Its better than doing nothing.

And lol at the title of this thread, 'A practical example'?? lol...you bastard

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP
I usually prefer quiet observation to participation with people I dont know :)hi:) but today I need to express myself and writing is my preferred medium, also to be honest I finished my vodka last night so I am bored before I pass out.

So where to start...7 days and a few hours ago my Dad died. A shock that I know is going to take months for me to move pass.

Sorry for rambling.

Anyway lets see how much of my actions over the pass week are because I am an "emotionless robot" aka ISTJ (list time :D):

1) I called my family on the day of his passing to get them all back from overseas so we can bury him as a family, respect is all.

2) I went and opened his business and kept it open except for this funeral so my mom and brother can eat, that includes the day he died.

3) I resigned from my dreadful but good paying job so I can keep the business going until I can sell it. Easiest decision of the week.

4) I have broken down once namely the day of the event because of shock, havent since because I am trying to save my family from imploding and keep his business going. That includes me identifying his body the next day.

5) I delivered his eulogy because it was the right thing to do

6) I have comforted people even though I dont understand why because I know thats what they need, even if I dont comprehend it.

7) I am stressed and depressed but instead of showing it, I get self destructive

8) I am paralysed by the multiple decisions I must make without sufficient time to investigate the evidence.

9) I am being stubborn about making changes because my dad operated his way and it worked, why change.

10) Despite all this I still find time to try help a girl, who I dont know if she cares about me the same way or wants a relationship or whatever, but I keep going because I know I am helping her with her depression by showing my hereto unknown to her "soft side".

11) Annoyed at people telling me I need to support my family, WTF else should I do?

Anyway I need to go and bottle some more emotions.

Ciao

I am very sorry about the passing of your dad...I know I don't know you, but if you're managing to do all of those things while grieving, you're doing much better than I ever could.

Sorry, again...

Alehand

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Well I havent had a chance to post for a bit, too much to do, etc.

I am getting a routine going and will not be drinking excessively. I am going to smoke cigars instead (my friend has already told me he is not angry, just disappointed).

I have also mentally admitted I am depressed.

I have closed off myself to people around me, mostly out of self preservation because they are annoying me, whether I am judging it so or because they really are.

Thanks for the support and responses, even you mal12345.

Alehand

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Hello folks

Apologies for not updating for awhile been busy.

Quick update:

1) sold my Dad's business so I have taken my Mom from overworked to retirement. Which is a relief. Sold the business for almost what I wanted which is a double relief.

2) Passed an exam which I studied for while working 15 hour days (no clue as to how).

3) Reconnecting with people

4) Managing my negative feelings and depression.

5) Can anyone explain why people think that me supporting my family is unique? Is it me or does it not seem peculiar that supporting your family is not a requirement for being a decent human?

Thanks for all the support and/or prayers.

PS very drunk, apparently I am funny drunk so my friend got me so...damn people.

Alehand

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Hello folks

Apologies for not updating for awhile been busy.

Quick update:

1) sold my Dad's business so I have taken my Mom from overworked to retirement. Which is a relief. Sold the business for almost what I wanted which is a double relief.

2) Passed an exam which I studied for while working 15 hour days (no clue as to how).

3) Reconnecting with people

4) Managing my negative feelings and depression.

5) Can anyone explain why people think that me supporting my family is unique? Is it me or does it not seem peculiar that supporting your family is not a requirement for being a decent human?

Thanks for all the support and/or prayers.

PS very drunk, apparently I am funny drunk so my friend got me so...damn people.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In answer to 5), i think it is the right thing to do.
Sadly not everyone does.
There are also times when you have to be cruel to be kind... i.e the drug addict who is supprted (enabled) by his/her family's cashflow.
But there are many types of support too, some may manage to be financially supportive, others may be the emotional "rock" of the family, others still...the practical menber.
IMO families are soo important, don't take them for granted.
and also, to your post...

:wubbie:
respect

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In answer to 5), i think it is the right thing to do.
Sadly not everyone does.
There are also times when you have to be cruel to be kind... i.e the drug addict who is supprted (enabled) by his/her family's cashflow.
But there are many types of support too, some may manage to be financially supportive, others may be the emotional "rock" of the family, others still...the practical menber.
IMO families are soo important, don't take them for granted.
and also, to your post...

:wubbie:
respect

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well done, Alehand. Good to see you and glad to hear that the business was sold and the depression is letting up a bit. :)

It is now a unique thing in westernized countries. Westernized countries have habit of only focusing on "Me, me, me". It's all about being "individual" and having freedom to do whatever they want. It's every man for himself and parents, especially elderly ones, are not taken care of like they used to be by their children.

Such selfishness also explains why many people say they don't want to have kids.
Or even get married for that matter.

Alehand

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Still think it is much ado about nothing.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The way STJ's support their loved ones in times of crisis is unique. They support to the point of sacrificing themselves. They can sustain this level of devotion for long periods of time. That is unique. Most people support to the point that the system/family/person can regulate then they back off. STJ's seem to go above and beyond making sure the loose ends are not only tied up, they aren't frayed either.

Alehand

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Hi everyone

I would like to do a final wrap on this thread.

First off, thanks for all your comments, best wishes, etc. I might not have always believed in all of it (sorry doubt or misreading information is a habit of my paranoia of all things new) but I appreciated in retrospect being allowed to vent/express.

I think a brief wrap is required.

I went off on holiday to London after I sold the shop, one of the best decisions I made. I got to recharge, see my nephew (who cheated on Wii...love that little so and so), saw relatives and friends. All in all it was great and allowed me the time to recharge and think things through.

Since I came back, I have pretty much wrapped up the estate barring tax and manged to organise some documentation for the overseas stuff. Boy it has been a rollercoaster with that stuff. Even though its still not done, I have nothing left to do but get other people to get things sorted out.

I think perseverance and determination is something I have always expected of myself but I never knew what depth there was to it.

See brief.

I am now trying to sort my own life out. My Mom and siblings are still on and off with their depression, as I am but its getting more and more manageable. The pain of the loss is there but slowly it is being out weighed by our memories of happier times and of the person I knew. I know it sounds weird but every time I think about my Dad, especially when I want to ask him something, there is a clarity of memory that I generally lack.

I am going to stop posting on here. Partly because I dont really have much else to say and mostly its time to move on.

Here is my eulogy I wrote for his funeral. This is my final testament to my Dad and the last thing I want to say on this thread:

"My father was a simple man but in his own unique way, a complicated person.

He was fond of saying he was not a good man because Jesus was good in him and he wasn’t involved.

That encapsulates him in a sentence. He never had any pretensions that he was anything other than who he was.

He had his flaws, like all men do, but what made him different was that he would in his own quiet way fix them and improve himself. He never needed anyone’s approval, all he wanted was a clean conscience before God.

My father had two passions in life that triumphed over all others, his family and his faith in God.

His love for both, quelled his famous temper and infamous stubbornness. Sometimes they stoked both.

This week, I have seen complete strangers to me, but people my father teased, joked with, shouted at, comforted and cared for breakdown in tears. For me to know that he touched so many people by simply being himself and standing for what he believed in, is a great comfort.

I believe that the truest testament of his character and faith is shown here today and over the course of this sad week because I have seen all the people he loves pull together as the family he loved.

"Let no one weep for me, or celebrate my funeral with mourning; for I still live, as I pass to and fro through the mouths of men." - Quintus Ennius

God bless you, Amen."

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^That was a nice wrap. Thank you for sharing. It made me cry.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You need one of these: :hug: and although I do not know you, I appreciate all this hard work you are doing at such a stressful time.

Be sure to post more, the sharing may help, and I wish you and your family all the best as you work through this.

Take care of yourself too - stay away from too much vodka!

I second this, you need to go over to the NF section for hugz :hug:

You're doing all you can and more. Go easy on yourself, take a deep breath, and focus on the permanent things right now. Relationships can be fixed if both people want it, so try not to worry about keeping your family together emotionally. If they fuck up, they can fix it, or maybe it was better for the emotions to have been put out in the open and the pain to have been caused.

Bottled up emotions, even in this situation, is absolutely disastrous. The air needs to get cleared, even if it's ugly :(

You're doing great, keep hanging in there.

And drop by the NF section for a hug anytime you need it :hug:

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I usually prefer quiet observation to participation with people I dont know :)hi:) but today I need to express myself and writing is my preferred medium, also to be honest I finished my vodka last night so I am bored before I pass out.

So where to start...7 days and a few hours ago my Dad died. A shock that I know is going to take months for me to move pass.

Sorry for rambling.

Anyway lets see how much of my actions over the pass week are because I am an "emotionless robot" aka ISTJ (list time :D):

ISTJ quote of the day (he's a friend of mine): "I like watching programs about the human condition despite the fact that I literally have no emotions."