User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LSI

Hmmm.

It is a tiresome burden. You get worn down, chewed up and left to ponder the depressing meaning of it all, especially when you try and meet your responsibilities but cannot see the end of the task. Many times I have contemplated running off into the wild and living like a bushman.

Yet...in a sense, it gives me a little bit of structure, a goal to achieve (knowingly or not) and a drive to face and conquer a new challenge. Without it, I feel a little lost, off track and unnecessary. Maybe it is the STJ in me.

The thing is I can see or derive a sense of responsibility from anything, doing the dishes to making sure my friends and family can rely on me.

I have found the trick to the burden of being responsible, is fighting the right battles, the right way, at the right time. That is a trick, that I learn and adapt to constantly.
    Three things:

"Reason is our soul's left hand, faith her right." - John Donne

"Take honour from me and my life is done" - Shakespeare's Richard II

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Alehand View Post
    Hmmm.

It is a tiresome burden. You get worn down, chewed up and left to ponder the depressing meaning of it all, especially when you try and meet your responsibilities but cannot see the end of the task. Many times I have contemplated running off into the wild and living like a bushman.

Yet...in a sense, it gives me a little bit of structure, a goal to achieve (knowingly or not) and a drive to face and conquer a new challenge. Without it, I feel a little lost, off track and unnecessary. Maybe it is the STJ in me.

The thing is I can see or derive a sense of responsibility from anything, doing the dishes to making sure my friends and family can rely on me.

I have found the trick to the burden of being responsible, is fighting the right battles, the right way, at the right time. That is a trick, that I learn and adapt to constantly.
    I think that you deserve a lot more appreciation.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I think that you deserve a lot more appreciation.
    +1! Thats definitely a good bit of insight there
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LSI

Just got home from a live show, slightly drunk...you guys mind telling the girl I like that I she should like me back?

Night from my timezone and thanks for the appreciation.
    Three things:

"Reason is our soul's left hand, faith her right." - John Donne

"Take honour from me and my life is done" - Shakespeare's Richard II

"Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I'm no SJ but I would imagine there are probably some NFs who are ultra uber responcible because of their strong desire to serve society and their rigid codes of ethics whereas some SJ and in particular STJs might be more pragmatic and rebellious in their thoughts and actions.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Hmmm.

Great, great post. I relate completely, and agree wholeheartedly.
    @Giggly is right, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    I'm no SJ but I would imagine there are probably some NFs who are ultra uber responcible because of their strong desire to serve society and their rigid codes of ethics whereas some SJ and in particular STJs might be more pragmatic and rebellious in their thoughts and actions.
    Totally. The reason why I tend to befriend NFs is because so many of them are extremely principled. My INFJ friends -- especially the 1s and 9w1s -- fit your description to a T. And the NFPs I know might not necessarily be "responsible", but they try extremely hard to be, when they find it necessary.

On the other hand, I know an ISTJ whose moral code involves the principle that it's every man for himself in the end, and who constantly rebels against her family, her friends, and society as a whole. She's the perfect example of how an ISTJ under particular circumstances can come across as disloyal and self-involved -- as opposed to self-sacrificing and loyal to a fault, as is the stereotype for most ISTJs.
    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I'd like to hear directly from SJ's about what you think about responsibilities.

My thoughts are that responsibilities suck in a big way. Seriously.

BUT, and I thought I would never say this but for some twisted reason, I've noticed that I'm happier having responsibilities, than without having them. Without them I just feel... blegh, not good about myself. The trick for me that I figured out is that I do best when I pick the responsibilities myself, rather than someone else dumping them on me without me even asking, or when they are delivered/given to me in a caring and respectful way. And although I may get tired, I still feel compelled to do them, and I am happier for it while I'm taking care of my responsibilities and afterwards.*

I think being an SFJ vs STJ might be a little different but I am curious about what other SJs think.

(* please note that I did not mention in this post about dumping responsibilities on others. This thread isn't about that and should not be inferred from what I've said here)
    They're a byproduct of having goals, so they're fine with me.

Personally, I don't let people dump their responsibilities on me. I did when I was first starting out in my career, but no mas. I'd rather let things fail then pick up the work of someone else. At the end of the day, most things that seem like a big life-breaking issue aren't. Things break, the world keeps moving.

My biggest issue is keeping an interest in my goals. If I lose interest in whatever it is I'm pursuing, the responsibility part also flies out the window.

#thisonehascommitmentissues

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so

I think responsability is VERY important. When you're responsible you do better in life, period. By being responsible you get the best careers, the best relationships, the best future possibilities. There's no disadvantage about it. People who are irresponsible and don't care about anything and think life is just one big party annoy the heck out of me. Sorry not sorry.
    ISFJ

"No one can be fully aware of another human being unless we love them. By that love, we see potential in our beloved. Through that love, we allow our beloved to see their potential. Expressing that love, our beloved's potential comes true." - Dr. Lecter

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sp

I amm all teh reponzibles.

Actually, I'm probably too responsible sometimes. I'm easily subjected to social obligation/pressure and it makes me kind of bitter, but I can't complain because I don't speak up about it, so I have to suffer to fate I set out for myself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Sil View Post
    They're a byproduct of having goals, so they're fine with me.

Personally, I don't let people dump their responsibilities on me. I did when I was first starting out in my career, but no mas. I'd rather let things fail then pick up the work of someone else. At the end of the day, most things that seem like a big life-breaking issue aren't. Things break, the world keeps moving.

My biggest issue is keeping an interest in my goals. If I lose interest in whatever it is I'm pursuing, the responsibility part also flies out the window.

#thisonehascommitmentissues
    Because I test as an ISTJ enough for me to think it's applicable, I'm going to comment here. I don't let anyone dump things on me - your problem is not my problem, is how I look at it. On the flip side, I sometimes have a tendency take responsibility for things that I'm not responsible for, such as things with our children or things in my own environment/surroundings. I often wonder how much being an e8 has to do with that and while I don't identify with many SJ traits, this one I do.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :)
  • :hi:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :wink:
  • ;)
  • :newwink: