• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tertiary Ne problems: I'm becoming extremely absent-minded. I get all these ideas for things I need to do, and as soon as I go into the next room, those ideas are blown out of my head and replaced with new ones.

I need to start writing them down and prioritizing them...

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Real SJs color inside the lines.

70j6ed.png

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Random

It's that we use it for a different purpose. We go into this thread thinking "What would I put in the SJ Random Thought Thread that I wouldn't put in the Random Thought Thread?" Which in itself is a very SJ way of thinking about it -- trying to be as on-topic as possible even in the randomness-oriented threads.

Also, because it's SJ Random Thoughts that go here, it's a lot more focused on being an SJ.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

xPK6ZkX.jpg

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm laughing so much at this text my ISTJ dad just sent me... "Going to [girlfriend]'s, plz feed canine bitches"

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sometimes I lie awake at night and I think to myself, Phrenology used to be accepted as a real science. I can't believe people could actually go to school and get a college education in the study of how white people are smarter than other races because of the shape of their head.

Which makes me think about how some of the stuff in my own field, along with psychology and anthropology, will probably be seen as stereotyped junk no better than phrenology 20 years from now because no one is ever as objective as they think they are being. A true blue Pandian-style critique. Though at least more effort has been made in recent years for sociologists to account for their own bias in their methodology.

At the same time, I get why people sometimes call these fields useless--unless you're going to grad school and getting into research there really isn't anything for you to do with them--but I think that in a world where all of these -ologies didn't exist... well, people would recreate them. Because it's just so interesting. People are egotistical and we are fascinated with ourselves. Our culture, our society, our minds. It may not have the same kind of practical application or employability as STEM fields, but people gravitate towards it anyway because it really is fascinating--to draw from individual experiences to explain the larger context, or vice versa, depending on what field you're studying. It's human nature to study and try to explain our own behavior. Though there are too many people getting degrees in these things and then never using them, myself included (I mean, I'm still in school, but I'm not planning on going into research or something).

But to study ourselves--not just in the past, but in the present, and how our present selves study the past--fucking interesting.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes I lie awake at night and I think to myself, Phrenology used to be accepted as a real science. I can't believe people could actually go to school and get a college education in the study of how white people are smarter than other races because of the shape of their head.

Which makes me think about how some of the stuff in my own field, along with psychology and anthropology, will probably be seen as stereotyped junk no better than phrenology 20 years from now because no one is ever as objective as they think they are being. A true blue Pandian-style critique. Though at least more effort has been made in recent years for sociologists to account for their own bias in their methodology.

At the same time, I get why people sometimes call these fields useless--unless you're going to grad school and getting into research there really isn't anything for you to do with them--but I think that in a world where all of these -ologies didn't exist... well, people would recreate them. Because it's just so interesting. People are egotistical and we are fascinated with ourselves. Our culture, our society, our minds. It may not have the same kind of practical application or employability as STEM fields, but people gravitate towards it anyway because it really is fascinating--to draw from individual experiences to explain the larger context, or vice versa, depending on what field you're studying. It's human nature to study and try to explain our own behavior. Though there are too many people getting degrees in these things and then never using them, myself included (I mean, I'm still in school, but I'm not planning on going into research or something).

But to study ourselves--not just in the past, but in the present, and how our present selves study the past--fucking interesting.
Is there a word for this, re: psychology and the study of the mind? I know the history version of what you're talking about is historiography, and I love historiography.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm reading a fascinating book about the placebo effect. There's an interesting theory about fatigue in one of the chapters. The orthodox and accepted theory is that physical exhaustion and fatigue is the result of overexerting muscles and build-up of lactic acid, but one researcher found that energy reserves never run out in the muscles of exhausted athletes; in addition, the percentage of muscle fibers used isn't much different either. Furthermore, many of the performance enhancing drugs don't affect the muscles directly but rather affect the mental state of the athlete.

This led one researcher to hypothesize that fatigue is very similar to an emotion. It's a limiter set by the brain so that you don't over exert yourself and damage your body. This has tremendous implications in treating chronic fatigue syndrome. This researcher thinks that CFS is caused by some infectious episode that caused the brain to trigger fatigue but the brain is permanently stuck in that mode even after the initial viral infection is gone. If his theory is correct, then you can treat CFS by slowly raising the activity level of the patient. This will cause the brain to slowly decrease the limiter and eventually (after several years), the limiter will be gone completely. The book mentions that one person successfully got rid of her CFS using this approach but it took 5 years.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I need an app that can help me plan what to cook for at least a week in advance. I want to do all the cooking in one day, optimized by several criteria, i.e. use only seasonal ingredients, usage of kitchen appliances, get an even spread of nutrients, etc.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My sister told me that she hated when she had to stop on the break. And I was like, doesn't everyone stop on the break?

It ended up being an expression.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why do Ti doms have so many dad vibes? Even the ones that aren't dads have dad vibes. Even the girl Ti doms have dad vibes. Wtf is the difference between Ti and dadness?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I need an app that can help me plan what to cook for at least a week in advance. I want to do all the cooking in one day, optimized by several criteria, i.e. use only seasonal ingredients, usage of kitchen appliances, get an even spread of nutrients, etc.

Do you want free or not free? I use this, it's fantastic but not free. They do have a 30 day trial I think.

Plan to Eat - Meal Planner and Grocery Shopping List Maker

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I see Nagisa Furukawa get typed as an INFP instead of an ISFJ one more time I'm going to have to start slitting throats.

"She can't be an ISFJ cuz her feelings are deep and she's creative she wrote that mini play!"

:dry:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why do Ti doms have so many dad vibes? Even the ones that aren't dads have dad vibes. Even the girl Ti doms have dad vibes. Wtf is the difference between Ti and dadness?
I would have said the Ne dad jokes (which would explain ESTJ/ISTJ dad vibes too), but you're talking Ti doms. I dunno. I actually don't get dad vibes at all from ISTPs.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would have said the Ne dad jokes (which would explain ESTJ/ISTJ dad vibes too), but you're talking Ti doms. I dunno. I actually don't get dad vibes at all from ISTPs.

There is something about their Ti Wisdom that

WAIT A SECOND
you're tertiary Ne and I'm tertiary Ti. I see what's happening here

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There is something about their Ti Wisdom that

WAIT A SECOND
you're tertiary Ne and I'm tertiary Ti. I see what's happening here
Not so sure about this theory, b/c I'm thinking "dad vibes" as in "dad jokes". Also my dad's an INTP.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not so sure about this theory, b/c I'm thinking "dad vibes" as in "dad jokes". Also my dad's an INTP.

Then we are both right

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I wonder if all the Fi types I know instinctively try to help when I want them to back off and back off when I need help the most. All done as a "favor" to me. I wonder if they think they're fooling me.