• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
OH COME ON, there is no way in hell David Mitchell is INTJ. He literally describes himself as a "timorous child", didn't fix a door handle for 2 years (...an INTJ wouldn't have patience for that bullshit), has an incredible eye for detail in WILTY, has trouble comprehending that somebody wouldn't realise that there's a steak pie in their pants, and in general just is the most Si-Te person to ever Si-Te (and inferior Ne).

Lee Mack on the other hand is the most Ne person I've ever seen. His interactions with David Mitchell are so funny precisely because his Ne just generates these ideas that David Mitchell runs off with using his sarcasm and Si.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I just discovered a delicious and healthy snack food at Sams Club called "Triple Berry Nut Trail Mix". It's got walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, thin slices of chocolate, dried cherries, cranberries, and blueberries.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
feng shui: tall lamps fukcfing everywhere
me: consider this: where the shit do i put my junk

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
A couple years ago, back when IMDB still had forums, there was a thread in the Sin City forum with Jodie Foster (or someone pretending to be her) arguing with other fans about film violence towards women. :D

Now she's at it again:

Jodie Foster Slams Superhero Movies, Compares Studios’ “Bad Content” To Fracking

She added, “Studios making bad content in order to appeal to the masses and shareholders is like fracking — you get the best return right now but you wreck the earth.” Then in a final jab she said, “It’s ruining the viewing habits of the American population and then ultimately the rest of the world.”

Hey Jodie, shut it. These super hero films are better than Nell or Maverick.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Found this Jung’s Si, Abridged - Psychological Types

This type is oriented by the intensity of his subjective perceptions, rather than the intensity of external stimuli. As a result, it’s impossible for an outsider to reliably predict what will excite or make an impression on him. His introverted attitude stands between himself and objective reality, and in extreme cases, it’s almost as if he were shielding himself from the latter’s influence. He keeps his physical environment in a state of comfortable homeostasis for this reason. The too high is damped down, and the too low raised up, to match his subjective formula. If he’s blindsided by a particularly strong sensation, or his environment is disrupted, his oddly disproportionate reaction will demonstrate his unrelatedness to objective reality.

He might stand out by his calmness and rational self-control in the face of turbulent conditions, but it has nothing to do with rationality. He devalues the objective influences, his subjective perception standing over and above them, and this being the decisive factor in his actions and decisions. If he had a way of expressing himself, for example if he were a creative artist, the irrational and idiosyncratic nature of his perceptions would be apparent. His articulate judging functions are relatively unconscious, so they aren’t much use. Therefore, this type is one of the most difficult to understand, both for himself and for others.​

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

This type is oriented by the intensity of his subjective perceptions, rather than the intensity of external stimuli. As a result, it’s impossible for an outsider to reliably predict what will excite or make an impression on him. His introverted attitude stands between himself and objective reality, and in extreme cases, it’s almost as if he were shielding himself from the latter’s influence. He keeps his physical environment in a state of comfortable homeostasis for this reason. The too high is damped down, and the too low raised up, to match his subjective formula. If he’s blindsided by a particularly strong sensation, or his environment is disrupted, his oddly disproportionate reaction will demonstrate his unrelatedness to objective reality.

He might stand out by his calmness and rational self-control in the face of turbulent conditions, but it has nothing to do with rationality. He devalues the objective influences, his subjective perception standing over and above them, and this being the decisive factor in his actions and decisions. If he had a way of expressing himself, for example if he were a creative artist, the irrational and idiosyncratic nature of his perceptions would be apparent. His articulate judging functions are relatively unconscious, so they aren’t much use. Therefore, this type is one of the most difficult to understand, both for himself and for others.​

Shit, I could be an ESTJ after all. :unsure:

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP

Yeah, Jung seemed pretty much at a loss to describe either Si or Ni. As the material in that link describes, Jung said that an Si-Dom sees things in the outer world "somewhat as a million-year-old-consciousness might see them." (Such a description seems a little over-the-top to me.)

Jung said that aesthetics in the form of the Dionysian vs. Apollonian duality was related to both S and N. He called Sensing and Intuition "the aesthetic types." He particularly related the Dionysian to Se. He said that in ancient Greece the "middle way" between the Dionysian and the Apollonian was the creation of the art form of Greek tragedy.

He also described Si in particular in terms of art. He said that the Si-Dom's perception of life was so peculiar and intrinsic to the Si-Dom that art was a perfect fit as a career because it allowed the Si-Dom to manifest that inner vision in the world. Without art, Si-Doms have no way of communicating their particular vision.

Jung didn't say this, but on my own I'll note that the association of aesthetics with the S function brings up some interesting ideas. One of the traditional roles of art was to illustrate man's place in the universe. Art originally was intertwined with religion, so there was a teaching/morality role to it. For example, a drama (movie or theater) will play out a clash between viewpoints or forces to illustrate some "moral of the story," for example to show how pride leads to tragedy or whatever.

Anyway, I agree with Jung that S is one of the most interesting and complex functions. Based on in my own experience of the function (I was married to an ISTJ for 10 years, among other things), I can pretty much see how it's related to aesthetics and finding one's own "narrative" in life, that is, finding one's place in the universe. It seems to me that Se and Si can be viewed in terms of narratives and roles, of seeking perfection, etc.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Shit, I could be an ESTJ after all. :unsure:

In that case you could look up Jungs description of the Te dom. The model given by that site seem to place the inferior at the subconscious, which I guess is fair enough. (Oddly eough I always emphasized looking at dom and inferior to have a good driveby gauge, so I guess my intuitive understanding was closest to JUng's after all) Also double check the vices and nemesis post. I narrowed down my type to Ti and Si.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Yeah, Jung seemed pretty much at a loss to describe either Si or Ni. As the material in that link describes, Jung said that an Si-Dom sees things in the outer world "somewhat as a million-year-old-consciousness might see them." (Such a description seems a little over-the-top to me.)

Jung said that aesthetics in the form of the Dionysian vs. Apollonian duality was related to both S and N. He called Sensing and iNtuition "the aesthetic types." He particularly related the Dionysian to Se. He said that in ancient Greece the "middle way" between the Dionysian and the Apollonian was the creation of the art form of Greek tragedy.

He also described Si in particular in terms of art. He said that the Si-Dom's perception of life was so peculiar and intrinsic to the Si-Dom that art was a perfect fit as a career because it allowed the Si-Dom to manifest that inner vision in the world. Without art, Si-Doms have no way of communicating their particular vision.

Jung didn't say this, but on my own I'll note that the association of aesthetics with the S function brings up some interesting ideas. One of the traditional roles of art was to illustrate man's place in the universe. Art originally was intertwined with religion, so there was a teaching/morality role to it. For example, a drama (movie or theater) will play out a clash between viewpoints or forces to illustrate some "moral of the story," for example to show how pride leads to tragedy or whatever.

Anyway, I agree with Jung that S is one of the most interesting and complex functions. Based on in my own experience of the function (I was married to an ISTJ for 10 years, among other things), I can pretty much see how it's related to aesthetics and finding one's own "narrative" in life, that is, finding one's place in the universe. It seems to me that Se and Si can be viewed in terms of narratives and roles, of seeking perfection, etc.

Yes, "Poetic justice" and the Church being one of the greatest patrons, as well as the lack of differentiation between the secular and the religious. Thank you for this info, it is useful.

I think it was interesting to tie Jungian functions back towards how Jung saw the universal unconscious, as far as I remember he does seem to be quite Platonic when it comes to conceiving of the unconscious. I suppose such description is meant to describe the timelessness of subjectivity (as opposed to extraverted S which would be more time-constrained given how it is "objective reality").

I actually think that Jung's archetypes may be even more useful than their successors in the theoretical order of things.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, "Poetic justice" and the Church being one of the greatest patrons, as well as the lack of differentiation between the secular and the religious. Thank you for this info, it is useful.

I think it was interesting to tie Jungian functions back towards how Jung saw the universal unconscious, as far as I remember he does seem to be quite Platonic when it comes to conceiving of the unconscious. I suppose such description is meant to describe the timelessness of subjectivity (as opposed to extraverted S which would be more time-constrained given how it is "objective reality").

I actually think that Jung's archetypes may be even more useful than their successors in the theoretical order of things.

Yes, basically Jung described *all* the introverted functions as being structured by primordial images or a primordial format that keeps introverted thoughts from being too arbitrary or random. If introverted thoughts were totally arbitrary, we could never understand each other.

From there he goes on to talk about the collective unconscious and archetypes as part of that primordial structure or format or whatever.

But in any case he really waxes enthusiastic about that primordial format in the particular case of Si Doms. Another example of Jung's description of Si Dom: "We could say that introverted sensation transmits an image which does not so much reproduce the object as spread over it the patina of age-old subjective experiences and the shimmer of events still unborn."

Wild stuff.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Yes, basically Jung described *all* the introverted functions as being structured by primordial images or a primordial format that keeps introverted thoughts from being too arbitrary or random. If introverted thoughts were totally arbitrary, we could never understand each other.

From there he goes on to talk about the collective unconscious and archetypes as part of that primordial structure or format or whatever.

But in any case he really waxes enthusiastic about that primordial format in the particular case of Si Doms. Another example of Jung's description of Si Dom: "We could say that introverted sensation transmits an image which does not so much reproduce the object as spread over it the patina of age-old subjective experiences and the shimmer of events still unborn."

Wild stuff.

I don't think it's wild at all. I've found INTJs* some of the most excellent people to talk to, precisely because I can understand what they're saying without actually going through the same thought process. (...Yet to find an ISTJ though, but Si is so misunderstood and ISTJs so hard to get to know that I genuinely don't actually care anymore. I guess I kidna have the same reaction to other (?) ISTJs the same way some INTJs profess to having a bit of a "feels weird being around another INTJ" kind of scenario due to uncanniness.)

Anyway to place this in the history of psychology, Jung conceived of his ideas presumably as a (if I remember correctly, if not feel free to correct) reaction against the pavlovian and pathologising tendencies of psychological practices in his day, and the radically different approach from which he came was the idea that each individual was already whole. He still used Freudian theory as a means of analysis, but instead of being this scary place that's the source of all mother-banging, it's also a source of spirituality and of connecting to one's humanity (...if I'm correct about this, which I'm not sure about, because I only read this in passing a long time ago)

Anyway the point is, contextualising this idea, I think it was a pretty interesting development in psychiatry and generally had the right idea if we did wish to avoid the objectifying "medical gaze" of foucault. I'm not sure about its clinical use because I'm not a psychologist, but imo in philosophy there is always this inherent danger of objectifying people who present differently than the norm, and the moral necessity of situating them as a part of humanity again is a good reason for the idea of the collective (un)consciousness to exist, precisely because then there is a moral obligation to understand the others as a part of humanity, at the very least (yes I know this is circular logic,but ...well)

*a specifically small number of INTJs of certain intelligence minimum with a certain degree of awareness of objective reality, to be. specific

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Internal processor problems: literally just thought to myself, "I cannot wait until I get home so I can journal for like two straight hours."

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at them. I'm not sure, but I think Te describes me better than Se. :shrug:
Why?

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Internal processor problems: literally just thought to myself, "I cannot wait until I get home so I can journal for like two straight hours."

- - - Updated - - -

Why?

I thought about keeping a journal a few times. I don't trust the people I live with.

The part about being controlling. My family describes me in that way often, as they have for years.