• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ Random Thought Thread

Metis

Koestler's Darkness at Noon was a story about a Bolshevik who was arrested in the Great Purge in the 30s and got put in solitary, subjected to interrogation, and made to admit things he didn't do. As he was about to be sentenced to death, he realised that the "grammatical I" exists. He comes to understand that the neglect of the "grammatical I" was the failure of the revolution.

It's beautifully written:

Perhaps later, much later, the new movement would arise—with new flags, a new spirit knowing of both: of economic
fatality and the “oceanic sense”. Perhaps the members of the new party will wear monks’ cowls, and preach that only
purity of means can justify the ends. Perhaps they will teach that the tenet is wrong which says that a man is the quotient of
one million divided by one million, and will introduce a new kind of arithmetic based on multiplication: on the joining of a
million individuals to form a new entity which, no longer an amorphous mass, will develop a consciousness and an
individuality of its own, with an “oceanic feeling” increased a millionfold, in unlimited yet self-contained space.​

Oh, that's interesting. I'm not sure what "unlimited yet self-contained space" means; I mean, I can think of it in terms of orders of infinity limited by whole numbers, but in practical terms, that doesn't sound like it would be what that phrase would be referring to. Or maybe it is? It's not the space in terms of people taking physical space, but more the increase in the sense of individual worth per person?

I feel more and more like a quotient of X billion divided by X billion, myself. Expendable and interchangeable. :dry:

So Koestler was a Hungarian-British author - Arthur Koestler - Wikipedia I don't think I've heard of him before. That sounds like an interesting book. Maybe I'll add this to my list of books to read. Thanks.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
... i just talked to my landlord and he's like "no we want only students below 30 plz" WHEN THERE'S A FUCKING 50 YEAR OLD LIVING HERE

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Oh, that's interesting. I'm not sure what "unlimited yet self-contained space" means; I mean, I can think of it in terms of orders of infinity limited by whole numbers, but in practical terms, that doesn't sound like it would be what that phrase would be referring to. Or maybe it is? It's not the space in terms of people taking physical space, but more the increase in the sense of individual worth per person?

I feel more and more like a quotient of X billion divided by X billion, myself. Expendable and interchangeable. :dry:

So Koestler was a Hungarian-British author - Arthur Koestler - Wikipedia I don't think I've heard of him before. That sounds like an interesting book. Maybe I'll add this to my list of books to read. Thanks.

It's abstract. He's pondering the idea as he comes to the concept that it could be ethically wrong to sacrifice the individual I for the whole, because the idea of defining people by numbers sacrifices human worth. In fact it should be the other way round, radiating outwards from the individual to the community.

(Knowing humanity, though, it's just a nice dream. Fuck humanity.)

And yeah, I feel like most of the best English literature are by people that aren't English. xD

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love typology, but I don’t love having to fend off the same ignorant typological biases forever and ever amen. I may have had the patience for it five or six years ago but I sure as hell don’t now.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Fueling my motivation purely on black coffee and anxiety probably isn't a suitable life strategy.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love typology, but I don’t love having to fend off the same ignorant typological biases forever and ever amen. I may have had the patience for it five or six years ago but I sure as hell don’t now.

Just laugh. In their faces! Lol

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

Isn't that just the story of all of us, though? Once upon a time I used to take pride in regaling the forum with Ne stream-of-consciousness tales as I cut through the English lexicon like a (1)linguistic samurai(1). Now all my posts are written using a wooden engraved cane from across the room, as I lay my fat ass across my king-sized bed draped in Persian silk, and await my chambermaid's call that my boiled rag-on-a-stick is ready for my weekly rinsing, as she removes my bib-like feeding trough proceeds to clean my skin in a mopping motion like spilled orange juice on a linoleum floor.

*1: Must give the proper citation to Ginkgo for that one.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
... to do list

If today doesn't work out I'd have to replace Ikea with a more pressing shit like moving more shit out

Today: Get rid of old wobbly desk
Monday: IKea desk
Tuesday: CLASS!!!!!!!!!! (Maybe get groceries after class, DO NOT buy in bulk anymore, and eat up the shit you already have you hoarder)
Wednesday: Go to Ikea for Regal and Schrank
Thursday: ...who am I kidding I HAVE FUCKING CLASS, do essay on cassierer in between classes (4 hours?)
Friday: Before class: What
Class, maybe groceries

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Trying to figure out how to go up instead of down right now. But inertia is a powerful force. I wish it was easier.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
...looks thru dario nardi's quick guide

..................................... given the recent munic trip I KNOW I don't notice the environment worth shit, maybe i'm really an INXX

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...looks thru dario nardi's quick guide

..................................... given the recent munic trip I KNOW I don't notice the environment worth shit, maybe i'm really an INXX

Could you please give me a link to his guide?

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
also according to that guide, ...what's her face from hungry gam... hunger games (fdjsjfkdsfk HUNGRY GAMES) is ISTJ

...Katniss
from the first book

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
You don't have to stop. I'd like to hear a perspective of somebody that's familiar with the material.

...sweats ... i've already moved on to astrolog y xD

... hmmm lemme try and remember

...alright

this chart is basically instructing writers how to write from someone's perspective. which means if you write as yourself (first person pov), your writing will turn out like a mixture of these (usually with emphasis on dominant function, followed by auxiliary function)

...I suggest writing something out, then see if you can fit any of your writing into these.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...sweats ... i've already moved on to astrolog y xD

... hmmm lemme try and remember

...alright

this chart is basically instructing writers how to write from someone's perspective. which means if you write as yourself (first person pov), your writing will turn out like a mixture of these (usually with emphasis on dominant function, followed by auxiliary function)

...I suggest writing something out, then see if you can fit any of your writing into these.

Well, I explain myself to my family, and I talk to myself aka think out loud a lot.
I remember my recent thoughts/talks. I think they fit TJ, SJ, and FP in that order.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
Well, I explain myself to my family, and I talk to myself aka think out loud a lot.
I remember my recent thoughts/talks. I think they fit TJ, SJ, and FP in that order.

ESTJ sounds likely, then, assuming it's a baseline for you. ESTJ also uses Fi, so FP could be in there if the others suit you better.