User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i feel ya, redcheerio. i accidentally piss people off a lot by being flippant about things that others take seriously without realizing until it's too late that i've done so. hanging around with others that get me for a good amount of time can cause me to be a bit too comfortable with being myself and that causes problems when i again get around others who don't know me as well. i forget how truly badly i can come off if not careful, but we do learn and we do want to learn and that combination, more often than not, wins out in the end. great for us; great for them.
    Cool, thanks, digesthisickness. Yeah, that happens to me, too. I'm so sad when I can't be myself around someone. I keep assuming they'll figure it out eventually, but sometimes it never happens.

sadly, a lot of our kind of kidding around comes in the form of faux cockiness. i mean, sure, we can be cocky, but unlike those who truly are full of themselves, we're actually aware that we're being full of crap when we do it. hell, even when we're really feeling cocky, we're aware of how much more we have to learn. however, those who don't know that, only see the surface BS, and believe we really think we're as great as we're joking we are.
    omg, I'm so glad you get that. I didn't even realize it was an ENTP or an ENP thing, I thought it was just me, and that my friends who "got" it did the same thing sometimes. I do that a lot around friends who get it, so it's a bummer when people don't get it. Actually I think I used to do it more than I do now, maybe I just got tired of the misunderstandings.

the way i usually 'fix' these situations, is to go to them for help. not only does it show that we value something they can contribute, but it also gives them the chance to realize that perhaps they'd judged the situation wrong and opens them up to giving us another chance. asking for advice (about anything) one or two more times after that, mixed in with being yourself, but making it more obvious that you know you're full of crap when acting that way allows them to see you more clearly.

hope this helps.
    Hm, that is great advice, thanks.

With the guy at my last job, I did try asking him questions for awhile, and I think it might have worked for awhile. But it was hard to keep it up because I got a new supervisor who had the same technical expertise as me, and who I got along with really well, so it made way more sense to ask him, instead. Also by then I thought it didn't matter so much anymore, but it turned out to matter more than I thought.

Thanks!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    The 'nice' esfj just came over, and for the third time today asked me 'what's wrong'. I told him and another guy (ISTP) that I'm feeling kinda so-so today. Not bad, just not 'on' with the silliness and jokes. So he just gets back from lunch and comes over and asks me again. It's annoying. I had to tell him that nothing's wrong, I'm just not in a talkative mood. I think I hurt him some. Not sure. I feel bad but not to the point of saying sorry. I think he has to learn to chill sometimes.
    Yeah, I hear ya.

Oh oh, I can apply something I learned from this thread to make a suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    the ones i know are are super sweet and always go way out of their way to help people and all they want is for you to appreciate it and acknowledge that they're being helpful...so my best advice is to do what you can to make them feel appreciated and valued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Expressing thanks and appreciation when appropriate sounds really good.
    Sooo, maybe if you give him a big thanks for his concern, he'll be happy and leave you alone?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i have no idea no...i asked my infp bf if si bothered him and he said no not at all but te does him too...so my theory might be shit haha
    Haha, well there might be something to it in some cases. I would guess extroverted judgement (Te, Fe) has the most potential to be annoying as well as the most potential to get annoyed at others. After all, it's a form of judging the world around you, which will sometimes mean the people, and judging people will make those being judged annoying to the judger, while it can also make the judger annoying to everyone else.

I dunno, I'm just pulling it out of my butt.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Answering the title question: my mother-in-law and father-in-law are an ESFJ-ENTP couple, so yes, it's possible... :-)
    Wow, interesting. What are they like together?

For me, I'm already married to an INTJ, I was just wondering about how to win over an annoyed ESFJ at work in case I bumble my way into that situation again in future workplaces. This has happened in past workplaces with stressful results that lasted years, that I couldn't figure out how to resolve.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

What always annoys me about ENTPs seems to always boil down to jokes and the relentless telling of them. And guess what? If I laugh at one, suddenly they zero in on me and tell me like 15 more. It never ends. I've learned my lesson now, I never encourage ENTPs, or do so with great caution because once they start it is nearly impossible to stop them, and suddenly I'm their best friend or whatever.

Really, what's the most frustrating is an ENTP that doesn't listen. If you listen, I can set boundaries for us, and we can live in harmony. If you insist on turning everything into a joke, or force everyone to "use logic" or whatever, you're not listening. While you're busy congratulating yourself on the latest victory in arguing, someone else is hurt that you wont consider what they have to say.

My friend is really chill for an ENTP. He tried to joke around a lot when we were first getting to know each other in high school, and I was just getting annoyed, but I guess he figured out how not to annoy me. Then we discovered partying. Best friends fo' life now
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    omg

Yeah, I know one ESFJ who is pretty awesome, and there was another one at the same company who was pretty nice.

As for using things people said against them and twisting it, I wonder if they actually believe in their head that it's justified? Like if disagreeing with someone logically, especially a higher-up, is seen as some kind of terrible disloyalty that should be exposed and punished?

The 2 nightmares that I worked with seemed to feel perfectly justified in their behavior, not only justified but self-satisfied by it, behavior that to me seemed so sneaky and manipulative and nasty as to be nearly sociopathic at times. So I'm wondering if that kind of thought pattern is what allows them to look in the mirror every day and be happy with themselves?
    It's called an authoritarian personality. Somewhere around 24% of the population has it. It's exactly what you think - to them, anything the authority says is right, and those who contradict that authority are evil, and must be punished in any way possible. To them, it is impossible to do evil when enforcing the authority's wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    What always annoys me about ENTPs seems to always boil down to jokes and the relentless telling of them. And guess what? If I laugh at one, suddenly they zero in on me and tell me like 15 more. It never ends. I've learned my lesson now, I never encourage ENTPs, or do so with great caution because once they start it is nearly impossible to stop them, and suddenly I'm their best friend or whatever.
    You'd rather not have friends who are devoted to making you happy?

Really, what's the most frustrating is an ENTP that doesn't listen. If you listen, I can set boundaries for us, and we can live in harmony. If you insist on turning everything into a joke, or force everyone to "use logic" or whatever, you're not listening. While you're busy congratulating yourself on the latest victory in arguing, someone else is hurt that you wont consider what they have to say.
    This isn't exactly the best of traits on the part of ENTPs. However, in life, many people have learned that oftentimes "listen" means "agree with what I say."

Look at how you put it - "if you listen, I can set boundaries for us, and we can live in harmony." Doesn't exactly give the other person a lot of space to set the terms of the relationship, does it? Doesn't exactly take what's important to the other person into account, does it? Doesn't exactly imply a relationship of equals, does it?

Quick hint - the whole self-congratulating for rhetorical prowess isn't exactly the best of traits, but doesn't usually happen to good friends who respect and honor an ENTP as an equal. It usually happens to those who try to pull rank or impose their will on the situation in some particular fashion. If your friendships must all be set on your terms, and your terms alone, then it's no surprise that ENTPs counter this aggressive behavior with their own flavor of aggression.

Banned

Anything is possible if you are willing to make the appropriate concessions for it to 'work'.

But I guess you should know that already and your question here is 'Can I make it work?'.

If you are asking that question and you are indeed an ENTP then you have answered the question wih 'No' otherwise you would have done so already.

I have yet to meet an EP who is entirely happy to reign in their excesses of behaviour, choice and pleasure seeking regardless of consequences. EJ types are not quite as tolerant of eccentricities as we are nor do they complain then drop it because they would prefer for you to smile rather than to live with the problem as a 'going concern'.

If there is one thing I know about EP types it is never to understimate their ability to do something they think will have no consequences and then to complain when those consequences occur.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

^something to ponder.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Hm, to me this sounds like something a high school ENTP might do, but doesn't sound much like an adult ENTP. Enneagram stackings could also come into play here, like if you're sp and he's sx, then he is going to be more inclined to want to get closer to his friends and more quickly than you are.

Hm, that makes sense, thanks. I think it is fairly common for young ENTPs to dismiss anything they consider "illogical", including people's feelings. As I get older, my ability to recognize the risk of hurting someone's feelings is getting better. I think when I was younger, in some cases I may have recognized it but dismissed it if I thought the person was being unreasonable or selfish, but I've learned not to be so dismissive.

I'm pretty sure I stopped celebrating argument victories a long time ago, but recently realized (due to something an ENTJ pointed out about ENTPs) that there are other things I've said in the past that may have been perceived as one-upping that weren't intended that way.

My friend is really chill for an ENTP. He tried to joke around a lot when we were first getting to know each other in high school, and I was just getting annoyed, but I guess he figured out how not to annoy me. Then we discovered partying. Best friends fo' life now
    How come you didn't like it when he joked around a lot? Do you mean that when you were trying to be serious about something he would make it a joke?

Ah, bonding through partying.

(Even the two worst ESFJs I've met in my life I've had fun partying with at least once each, haha. I probably would have liked them both if I never had to work with them.)

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to think about it and answer....

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's called an authoritarian personality. Somewhere around 24% of the population has it. It's exactly what you think - to them, anything the authority says is right, and those who contradict that authority are evil, and must be punished in any way possible. To them, it is impossible to do evil when enforcing the authority's wishes.
    Hm, makes sense, thanks. I'll take that more seriously in the future before opening my mouth if I disagree with someone in authority.