User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 20

  1. #1
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default Investing the SJ way

    What's your (SJ) style of investing?

    Are you very conservative? Do you refer more to a stock's company past performance than future projections and current fads? Do you buy into commodity trading/gold hype? Do you stick mainly with "safe" bets, such as index funds, bonds, etc? Do you stick mainly with tried-and-true companies, such as Coca Cola & Wal-Mart?

    In a nutshell, what's your philosophy on investing?
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  2. #2
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    while I don't pretend to be a master investor, the best type of SJ investing is:
    Warren Buffett: ISTJ 7w6
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  3. #3
    Senior Member Habba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    998

    Default

    I have never done any investing, but I have been playing with the idea. (J to extreame

    If I'd go investing, I'd start by reading some guides on how the stuff works and see some statistics of how people have spent their money and how have they made profit (Si + Te).

    I would try to fight my urges for trying to win a quick jackpot, and instead distribute my money in many different investments, so that my shares would be more stable (SJ, playing it safe but smart).

    I would also look for trends that are coming and for investments that are going to bounce-back (for example, Nokia stock crashed after Microsoft-thing, but I'm pretty sure they'll rise eventually, so it might be wise to buy them while they are still cheap). (Te + possibly inferior Fi... I might be wishing for Nokia to bounce back because it's a national pride).

    But I would see it as an alternative way for saving money for the future, with possibly increased interest. It's not in my blood to "surf" on the stock exchange waves trying to maximize profit with adrenaline rush filled life style.

    [EDIT]: Haha, didn't see that previous post before I posted mine.

    Warren Buffett (some site claim him to be ISTJ) advices that you should only invest on domain you know. I'd listen to him, if I was to start investing money.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

  4. #4
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I have never done any investing, but I have been playing with the idea. (J to extreame

    If I'd go investing, I'd start by reading some guides on how the stuff works and see some statistics of how people have spent their money and how have they made profit (Si + Te).

    I would try to fight my urges for trying to win a quick jackpot, and instead distribute my money in many different investments, so that my shares would be more stable (SJ, playing it safe but smart).

    I would also look for trends that are coming and for investments that are going to bounce-back (for example, Nokia stock crashed after Microsoft-thing, but I'm pretty sure they'll rise eventually, so it might be wise to buy them while they are still cheap). (Te + possibly inferior Fi... I might be wishing for Nokia to bounce back because it's a national pride).

    But I would see it as an alternative way for saving money for the future, with possibly increased interest. It's not in my blood to "surf" on the stock exchange waves trying to maximize profit with adrenaline rush filled life style.

    [EDIT]: Haha, didn't see that previous post before I posted mine.

    Warren Buffett (some site claim him to be ISTJ) advices that you should only invest on domain you know. I'd listen to him, if I was to start investing money.
    Sounds similar to my approach. I have to resist the temptation to try to "predict the future" and pick my stocks based on what I think the economic/political climate will be like in, say, 10 years.

    Otherwise, I'm very very calculated about the risks I take. I'm not one to jump onto fads, which end up overvaluing the company in the long-run.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  5. #5
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I have never done any investing, but I have been playing with the idea.

    But I would see it as an alternative way for saving money for the future, with possibly increased interest. It's not in my blood to "surf" on the stock exchange waves trying to maximize profit with adrenaline rush filled life style.
    Neither have I, and I would only see it as a way to save for the future, augmented by the interest rate. I'm not about to risk what I currently have.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  6. #6
    Carerra Lu IZthe411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Vanguard Funds = ISTJ investing

  7. #7
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    I have never done any investing, but I have been playing with the idea. (J to extreame
    Same here. I used to harbor some serious distaste for many types of investing, because I thought of them as, essentially, high stakes gambling. But once I realized how safe it can be when you know what you're doing, I changed my mind.

    (note: my ignorance is for good reason, i.e. because I don't come from a family with enough money to do very much investing.)
    If I'd go investing, I'd start by reading some guides on how the stuff works and see some statistics of how people have spent their money and how have they made profit (Si + Te).

    I would try to fight my urges for trying to win a quick jackpot, and instead distribute my money in many different investments, so that my shares would be more stable (SJ, playing it safe but smart).
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    Otherwise, I'm very very calculated about the risks I take. I'm not one to jump onto fads, which end up overvaluing the company in the long-run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Neither have I, and I would only see it as a way to save for the future, augmented by the interest rate. I'm not about to risk what I currently have.
    Yes to all of this. I would/will be exactly this way, if/when I invest.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  8. #8
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,022

    Default

    Investing, safe? Not really. That's why there's return since as an investor, not only are you footing the bill for your investments, you're also accepting the risk. This isn't to say that some investments aren't safer than others but with safety, there's a lower to much lower or insignificant return. Pay to play.

  9. #9
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I don't think anyone interested in safety would ever invest in stocks, unless he/she is grossly underestimating the risk he's going to be exposed to. I would say a typical "SJ-like" strategy would be to roll over some short term govt bonds whose interest rate slightly beats inflation.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #10
    Senior Member uberrogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    istj
    Posts
    132

    Default

    I read a bunch of books on the subject and I take a lot of advice from friends who have stocks that are doing well. I also buy whatever is in the news even if it is doing badly. For instance I bought Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac when they started sinking. I got lucky and the stock actually rose 4 or 6 points before it started sinking again. I also just think about what people need in general and what people think is going to be a money maker.
    If Men's Health magazine was true, you would never need to buy more than one issue.

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] Investing the SP way
    By mrcockburn in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 01:36 PM
  2. [NT] What's the best way of deciding between INTJ and ENTJ?
    By Ezra in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM
  3. [MBTItm] SFs: What's the best way to persuade you?
    By rivercrow in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 05:25 PM
  4. Ride the Rocket (The Better Way)
    By Mempy in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 03:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO