• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Investing the SJ way

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's your (SJ) style of investing?

Are you very conservative? Do you refer more to a stock's company past performance than future projections and current fads? Do you buy into commodity trading/gold hype? Do you stick mainly with "safe" bets, such as index funds, bonds, etc? Do you stick mainly with tried-and-true companies, such as Coca Cola & Wal-Mart?

In a nutshell, what's your philosophy on investing?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
while I don't pretend to be a master investor, the best type of SJ investing is:
Warren Buffett: ISTJ 7w6

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have never done any investing, but I have been playing with the idea. (J to extreame :)

If I'd go investing, I'd start by reading some guides on how the stuff works and see some statistics of how people have spent their money and how have they made profit (Si + Te).

I would try to fight my urges for trying to win a quick jackpot, and instead distribute my money in many different investments, so that my shares would be more stable (SJ, playing it safe but smart).

I would also look for trends that are coming and for investments that are going to bounce-back (for example, Nokia stock crashed after Microsoft-thing, but I'm pretty sure they'll rise eventually, so it might be wise to buy them while they are still cheap). (Te + possibly inferior Fi... I might be wishing for Nokia to bounce back because it's a national pride).

But I would see it as an alternative way for saving money for the future, with possibly increased interest. It's not in my blood to "surf" on the stock exchange waves trying to maximize profit with adrenaline rush filled life style.

[EDIT]: Haha, didn't see that previous post before I posted mine. :D

Warren Buffett (some site claim him to be ISTJ) advices that you should only invest on domain you know. I'd listen to him, if I was to start investing money.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have never done any investing, but I have been playing with the idea. (J to extreame :)

If I'd go investing, I'd start by reading some guides on how the stuff works and see some statistics of how people have spent their money and how have they made profit (Si + Te).

I would try to fight my urges for trying to win a quick jackpot, and instead distribute my money in many different investments, so that my shares would be more stable (SJ, playing it safe but smart).

I would also look for trends that are coming and for investments that are going to bounce-back (for example, Nokia stock crashed after Microsoft-thing, but I'm pretty sure they'll rise eventually, so it might be wise to buy them while they are still cheap). (Te + possibly inferior Fi... I might be wishing for Nokia to bounce back because it's a national pride).

But I would see it as an alternative way for saving money for the future, with possibly increased interest. It's not in my blood to "surf" on the stock exchange waves trying to maximize profit with adrenaline rush filled life style.

Warren Buffett (some site claim him to be ISTJ) advices that you should only invest on domain you know. I'd listen to him, if I was to start investing money.

Sounds similar to my approach. :) I have to resist the temptation to try to "predict the future" and pick my stocks based on what I think the economic/political climate will be like in, say, 10 years.

Otherwise, I'm very very calculated about the risks I take. I'm not one to jump onto fads, which end up overvaluing the company in the long-run.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have never done any investing, but I have been playing with the idea.

Neither have I, and I would only see it as a way to save for the future, augmented by the interest rate. I'm not about to risk what I currently have.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:yes: Same here. I used to harbor some serious distaste for many types of investing, because I thought of them as, essentially, high stakes gambling. But once I realized how safe it can be when you know what you're doing, I changed my mind. :)

(note: my ignorance is for good reason, i.e. because I don't come from a family with enough money to do very much investing.)

Otherwise, I'm very very calculated about the risks I take. I'm not one to jump onto fads, which end up overvaluing the company in the long-run.
Neither have I, and I would only see it as a way to save for the future, augmented by the interest rate. I'm not about to risk what I currently have.
Yes to all of this. :yes: I would/will be exactly this way, if/when I invest.

rav3n

Investing, safe? Not really. That's why there's return since as an investor, not only are you footing the bill for your investments, you're also accepting the risk. This isn't to say that some investments aren't safer than others but with safety, there's a lower to much lower or insignificant return. Pay to play.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't think anyone interested in safety would ever invest in stocks, unless he/she is grossly underestimating the risk he's going to be exposed to. I would say a typical "SJ-like" strategy would be to roll over some short term govt bonds whose interest rate slightly beats inflation.

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
I read a bunch of books on the subject and I take a lot of advice from friends who have stocks that are doing well. I also buy whatever is in the news even if it is doing badly. For instance I bought Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac when they started sinking. I got lucky and the stock actually rose 4 or 6 points before it started sinking again. I also just think about what people need in general and what people think is going to be a money maker.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Real tip taken from SJ in the past hour: drink day old coffee. Throwing it out is throwing money out.

Eeww.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Investing, safe? Not really. That's why there's return since as an investor, not only are you footing the bill for your investments, you're also accepting the risk. This isn't to say that some investments aren't safer than others but with safety, there's a lower to much lower or insignificant return. Pay to play.

I don't think anyone interested in safety would ever invest in stocks, unless he/she is grossly underestimating the risk he's going to be exposed to. I would say a typical "SJ-like" strategy would be to roll over some short term govt bonds whose interest rate slightly beats inflation.

But of course. The question actually isn't whether they'd be willing to take risks, but how much risk they'd be willing to accept, and what the payoff would have to be, the time frame necessary, their reasoning, etc.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Real tip taken from SJ in the past hour: drink day old coffee. Throwing it out is throwing money out.

Eeww.

that's friggin disgusting. a rich man who got rich by being a cheap scate is still a cheap scate when he becomes rich. making money has no benefit if you never spend it. that's like baking a cake but never eating it

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
that's friggin disgusting. a rich man who got rich by being a cheap scate is still a cheap scate when he becomes rich. making money has no benefit if you never spend it. that's like baking a cake but never eating it

Actually this person likes things of quality and design. He'd rather have a few very nice things than lots of slightly more cheaply made things.

But will drink day old coffee. I don't get it.

Of course, I'm also picky about food. I do not understand people who are not.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually this person likes things of quality and design. He'd rather have a few very nice things than lots of slightly more cheaply made things.

I don't either. I almost starved at the dorms because I would skip meals if the food there was disgusting. I've never understood how so many people can be fat when there is such a shortage of quality food around

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP

Yes, do. Lose your money.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't either. I almost starved at the dorms because I would skip meals if the food there was disgusting. I've never understood how so many people can be fat when there is such a shortage of quality food around

I was absolutely miserable when I visited my friend in West Virginia because of this. In the rural town she was in, organic, fresh food was a foreign concept. Basically it was the ultimate Kraft mac and cheese and Hamburger Helper town.

yyyyuck.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

As gross as that is, I relate to the dichotomy you're describing. :yes:
How often has food made you sick? I have a (preliminary) theory that the people who are the most open to weird food are the people with iron stomachs... and the most picky eaters are the opposite. Discounting my friend with synesthesia (who can't mix any flavors in her food because it messes with colors or some shit like that), everyone I know follows that pattern.

I was absolutely miserable when I visited my friend in West Virginia because of this. In the rural town she was in, organic, fresh food was a foreign concept. Basically it was the ultimate Kraft mac and cheese and Hamburger Helper town.

yyyyuck.
So spruce it up! You don't have to eat food exactly as it's handed to you. Mix your mac 'n cheese with some broccoli (e.g.) - or ignore the sauce package and make your own cheese sauce.

But I dunno. I'm not terribly picky, and I'm also very do-it-yourself oriented. Plus, the salt, pepper and Tabasco are on the table for a reason - no one's gonna be offended if you use them.

As for Elfboy's comment: Same thing there. With very basic cooking knowledge, you can turn any crappy college cafeteria food into something delicious. There are college cafeteria recipe books out there, for ideas. Use your Ne! :D

EDIT: I'm guessing that neither of you are Sp dominant or secondary? Because I'm either so/sp or sp/so and I am of the opinion that even crappy food is better than no food at all, so I don't necessarily relate :shrug:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As gross as that is, I relate to the dichotomy you're describing. :yes:

How often has food made you sick? I have a (preliminary) theory that the people who are the most open to weird food are the people with iron stomachs... and the most picky eaters are the opposite. Discounting my friend with synesthesia (who can't mix any flavors in her food because it messes with colors or some shit like that), everyone I know follows that pattern.

So spruce it up! You don't have to eat food exactly as it's handed to you. Mix your mac 'n cheese with some broccoli (e.g.) - or ignore the sauce package and make your own cheese sauce.

But I dunno. I'm not terribly picky, and I'm also very do-it-yourself oriented. Plus, the salt, pepper and Tabasco are on the table for a reason - no one's gonna be offended if you use them.

As for Elfboy's comment: Same thing there. With very basic cooking knowledge, you can turn any crappy college cafeteria food into something delicious. There are college cafeteria recipe books out there, for ideas. Use your Ne! :D

EDIT: I'm guessing that neither of you are Sp dominant or secondary? Because I'm either so/sp or sp/so and I am of the opinion that even crappy food is better than no food at all, so I don't necessarily relate :shrug:

Actually, quite the opposite. I'm So/Sp - and my Sp *is* to blame.

All those processed foods have chemicals, preservatives, MSG, high fructose corn syrup, etc, that are HORRIBLE for your health. The produce section was sparce there, and NOT fresh at all.. I can't stand the idea of knowingly ingesting those things.

To me, it's healthier to not eat (actually, it's fasting, which is supposedly very healthy...) than to eat shit food. I'm neurotic that way.

It's probably from travelling to places where food is still truly food - fresh, whole stuff! And seeing how fit and healthy everyone was. Vibrant, too.

And then West Virginia...where all I saw was obese people in motorscooters in Wal-Mart, people complaining about their arthritis and diabetes, etc. Everyone looked so sick and worn down, surviving on their medications. I was only there for week, in one rural town, so I don't intend to say ALL of WV is that way.

Like I said, I'm neurotic... :cheese: But, I'm fit and in perfect health!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm picky about food because I want very particular things to eat when I want it, and that's that.

I think my sp aux is to blame for this, much like Mr.Cockburn, but in her case it's always health (and sometimes it's also health in my case, it's true) and a lot of times in my case it's just that I really want to enjoy my food. I also like to cook, so the two things are probably linked. If I order a delicious glass of iced tea, I don't want it to have the sour tinge of sitting in the metal tin of the restaurant all day. When I'm in the mood for tacos I want tacos, and that's that. I'm not going to be happy with macaroni and cheese.

I remember as a child being ridiculously picky, feeding the dog my meat, sitting at the table staring forlornly at things I didn't want to eat, et al. I'm not like that now, I'm open to trying new food, in fact I enjoy trying new food.

It's just that I want to eat particular things.