Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default My theory on why SJs are perceived as closed minded

obviously, anyone who knows about MBTI knows that all SJs are not rigid, closed minded bureaucrats. what is different about them than say, ENTPs, is that it takes more energy to process new ideas and information. an SJ who is confronted with lots of change and new information is like "whoa! slow down, I need time to process this!"
    NPs can completely change vast amounts of previously known information in effortlessly and in seconds, but Si is sort of a "foundation" type of function. for ENTPs, changing information is as easy as driving and making a left turn. for an SJ, changing information is like remodeling a house. you need to rework things from the foundation and make sure everything is still sturdy and solid. for example, an ISTJ needs a lot of time alone to process, except and work new information into the basic foundation of their life and their beliefs.
    so, coming back to my point, close mindedness in SJs comes for the same reason that avoiding work does for NPs, laziness. SJs become closed minded and bureaucratic when they don't take the time to consider the new information and except that some new information may potentially better. as about 45% of the population is SJ and a large percentage of people are lazy, it's no surprise that there is a lot of overlap, hence, a lot of rigid SJs. this leads people to make the generalization that being an SJs are naturally close minded, but correlation doesn't equal causation.
    anyway, just a theory, feel free to make a counterpoint
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Banned

People accuse others of being closed minded when those others do not agree with them. It's a weakness of the accuser, not the accused.

for example, an ISTJ needs a lot of time alone to process, except and work new information into the basic foundation of their life and their beliefs.
    Replace the letters STJ with NFP and I am positive that most members of my type will also identify strongly with the statement you just made.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by senza_tema View Post
    Replace the letters STJ with NFP and I am positive that most members of my type will also identify strongly with the statement you just made.
    actually, ENFPs can usually do this rather quickly
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Wow.

This thread should be entertaining. We have wild-ass assumptions, broad generalizations, and bogus logic.

I look forward to some of the other responses from my other SJs. As for me, I need to get ready for work
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Wow.

This thread should be entertaining. We have wild-ass assumptions, broad generalizations, and bogus logic.

I look forward to some of the other responses from my other SJs. As for me, I need to get ready for work
    I stated in both in the title and the original post that this is a theory, which by it's very nature makes it the opposite of an assumption as it is tentative, open to change and specifically looking for counter arguments and contrary information. as such, feel free to disagree and post your thoughts when you get back from work
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Chibi Seme
    Sunburst!

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    actually, ENFPs can usually do this rather quickly
    I was actually talking about INFPs in my post.

Speaking from the POV of a self-typed INFP, I don't necessarily process tons of information effortlessly at lightning speed as you seem to suggest that all NPs do. I like being able to pick and choose what data I want to turn over in my head and examine more closely, and I get cranky when I have to deal with an overload of things I don't want to think about.

Leaving personal anecdotal information aside, I'm unconvinced that comparing an ENTP to an ISTJ and then extrapolating those individual types' experiences as representative of an entire temperament's behavior is very useful. Of course Pe doms and Pi doms are going to have different strategies for taking in information. This is not sufficient basis for making a case for entire temperaments.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESFj Ti

I read it once, I had a response, then I read it again, and now I don't know what this is about. Can you be a little more explicit? What makes SJs close minded? What kind of information are we talking about that SJs are supposed to resist more?
    {The Diplomat}
    Slytherpuff
    s|L|OAx
    Meow.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

SJs are perceived as closed-minded because people on this forum type those who disagree with them/those who they feel are closed-minded for whatever stupid personal reasons as SJs.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Many SJ's aren't interested in changing their views. ISTJ's, for example, can be quite traditional. From their considerations, a "better" idea to you isn't necessarily a better idea to them. They can process the information and come to an understanding, but they aren't interested in changing their views, as many SP's are. It has nothing to do with laziness in many cases. Many SJ's I know do what is accepted socially and/or traditionally, and don't care about what is "true". New information won't change them, but it doesn't mean they don't read and work to understand the new information.

Yes, it has been annoying in the past when I showed a couple of SJ's new information and they didn't change a thing lol..... but that's just how they are. The ones I know aren't necessarily lazy, just uninterested.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype