User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Wink ISTJs as maximizers

In decision making theory, Schwartz distinguished to types:
    Maximizers and satisfiers. Although people can vary within decisionmaking in these two types, they mostly stick to it.
    Maximizers: aims to maxmize his or her outcomes in that domain, desires the know an ultimate amount of information before making the optimal decision.
    Satisfier: who chooses to satisfice. The satisficer is looking for something that crosses the threshold of acceptability - something that is good enough.

In studies the following things have been found about maximizers:
    - Maximization is correlated with regret, perfectionism and depression.
    - Maxmizers are more likely to engage in social comparison, and this effects their mood.
    - Maximizers are more regretful and less happy with their consumer decisions than satisfiers.
    - Although maximizers may be in general achieve better objective outcomes than satisficers, they are likely to experience these outcomes as worse subjectively.

I think as being an ISTJ I perfectly fit the maximizer description, since I always want to know a full array of options, to buy the best thing out there, choose the best job/study etc. I seldomly regret my purchases though, since I probably buy the best thing outthere, due to extensive research.
    How do you guys feel about that? Are ISTJs maximizers? Is this personality bound?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    In decision making theory, Schwartz distinguished to types:
    Maximizers and satisfiers. Although people can vary within decisionmaking in these two types, they mostly stick to it.
    Maximizers: aims to maxmize his or her outcomes in that domain, desires the know an ultimate amount of information before making the optimal decision.
    Satisfier: who chooses to satisfice. The satisficer is looking for something that crosses the threshold of acceptability - something that is good enough.

In studies the following things have been found about maximizers:
    - Maximization is correlated with regret, perfectionism and depression.
    - Maxmizers are more likely to engage in social comparison, and this effects their mood.
    - Maximizers are more regretful and less happy with their consumer decisions than satisfiers.
    - Although maximizers may be in general achieve better objective outcomes than satisficers, they are likely to experience these outcomes as worse subjectively.

I think as being an ISTJ I perfectly fit the maximizer description, since I always want to know a full array of options, to buy the best thing out there, choose the best job/study etc. I seldomly regret my purchases though, since I probably buy the best thing outthere, due to extensive research.
    How do you guys feel about that? Are ISTJs maximizers? Is this personality bound?
    the minimizer does not exist of course ..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Odd. I find I resonate with the maximiser description, though I would have never have seen it quite that way myself.

I wouldn't think it was ISTJ specific or even particularly associated with that type. Mind you I wouldn't have thought to call myself a maximiser either... Perhaps it's a T thing? I know my ENFP mate (not Dom) does laugh at all the research I do into the things I buy.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Dizzy, as far as my understanding of my preferences goes, it dovetails completely with what you just outlined in the OP. FWIW....
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ISTx

Definitely fit the maximizer profile myself.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Definitely fit the maximizer profile myself.
    Ditto.

Sounds right.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    the minimizer does not exist of course ..
    I don't think people will try to choose to get the minimal outcome in their choices, so no...

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Odd. I find I resonate with the maximiser description, though I would have never have seen it quite that way myself.

I wouldn't think it was ISTJ specific or even particularly associated with that type. Mind you I wouldn't have thought to call myself a maximiser either... Perhaps it's a T thing? I know my ENFP mate (not Dom) does laugh at all the research I do into the things I buy.
    Of course it can be related with other personalities as well. It can even differ per choice, but I think, as being an ISTJ I perfectly fit the maximizer type in most situations.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    Of course it can be related with other personalities as well. It can even differ per choice, but I think, as being an ISTJ I perfectly fit the maximizer type in most situations.
    Is a "Maximiser" a believer in "the ends justify the means"?

I can see the ISTJ I know being descibed as like that to a certain extent.. well at least until his ENFP shadow sends him sprawling on the floor
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?