User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Do you have any concrete examples of ISTJ vs ISFJ?

I swear I'm either a very organized, analytical ISFJ or an accomodating, people-oriented ISTJ. I can't tell which one.

I'm leaning more towards ISFJ mostly because I don't feel hardcore enough to be a thinker over a feeler, but I also think I'm kind of emotional retarded sometimes lol. Then again, maybe that has more to do with introversion than anything else.

Can someone give me some advice or concrete ways in which an ISTJ and ISFJ differ? Or maybe give me some questions that I can ask myself so that I can distinguish between the two?

Thanks.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by SinneDeelie View Post
    I swear I'm either a very organized, analytical ISFJ or an accomodating, people-oriented ISTJ. I can't tell which one.

I'm leaning more towards ISFJ mostly because I don't feel hardcore enough to be a thinker over a feeler, but I also think I'm kind of emotional retarded sometimes lol. Then again, maybe that has more to do with introversion than anything else.

Can someone give me some advice or concrete ways in which an ISTJ and ISFJ differ? Or maybe give me some questions that I can ask myself so that I can distinguish between the two?

Thanks.
    It would be a mistake to go on the premise that Thinkers are emotional retards or that Feelers don't have any ability to detach and look at things analytically.

As regards to your question though, I think one way of trying to determine it would be to do the following:

1) Think about something that you have a strong opinion or position on
    2) Think about why you possess that opinion or position. Is it because of some objective standard or your own subjective values?
    3) If the former, you may be a T. If the latter, you may be an F.

Just my opinion though, I'm sure someone will correct me
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

ISTJ is directing in communication (which makes them seem slightly bossy) while ISFJ is informing (which makes them seem more soft.) Also, IME ISTJs are grumpier and quicker to anger than ISFJs.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SinneDeelie View Post

Thanks.
    ISFJs are usually much more conflict avoidant than ISTJs. ISTJs re more "there's a problem, stop whining and let's fix it"
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    It would be a mistake to go on the premise that Thinkers are emotional retards or that Feelers don't have any ability to detach and look at things analytically.

As regards to your question though, I think one way of trying to determine it would be to do the following:

2) Think about why you possess that opinion or position. Is it because of some objective standard or your own subjective values?

That's got a bit of fail in it. Having an opinion on something can be either Fe or Fi based. Let's use that for an example:

I have a strong opinion on religion. I was raised Catholic. As I grew up, I experienced differing opinions on religion. The conflict I ran into was that for every belief in a religion, there were several counterpoints. How could I hold a belief in Catholicism when I could find arguments against it and every other religion in the world through research. Everyone else in the world had different perspectives, and I felt closed off if I didn't take them into consideration. I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth investing in Catholicism due to these reasons. Through later analysis of why religion exists, why people believe in a religion, how many different religions there are, why religion affects people so greatly, I further reinforced this decision by taking a more open minded stance. Every religion has reasons for existing along with arguments against it and there are always other ways of looking at everything. Thus I developed strong sense of my own worldview(Introverted Feeling) through experience (Introverted Sensing), analysis(Extraverted Thinking) and openness (Extraverted Intuition).

In explaining the above in more detail, Extraverted Thinking gave me the consistent objectivity to analyze the situation looking for a truth. I had to examine everything from every point of view. I had to understand why every action, regardless of its impact on your life had an impact on this decision. Introverted Feeling needed a personal subjective viewpoint, an outlook that fit with my own criteria for what a religion should be. This criteria was developed through Extraverted Thinking.

How does that relate to Extraverted Feeling? I have no fucking clue. I really have little understanding of the function even though I've read massive amounts about it. I just can't understand how it moves a person to project emotions and feelings in such a generic way onto people. Take for instance, we had a storm in North Carolina with a dozen tornados. My ENFJ sister and ESFJ mother said "The people there just like the support of other people around there." I asked why 700 people went to a funeral for a tornado victim even though they didn't know them. They said, "The family just likes the support, and I just want to show sympathy for these people." I was like, "But, they don't know the people. If I died in a tornado, I wouldn't want 700 strangers. If I died of a health problem, those 700 people wouldn't be there. There's no personal attachment. I really despise those people for that."

It's just really my lack of understanding of Fe. Why show general sympathy that doesn't come with personal attachment? It's so fake. I don't want to waste my time or be involved with someone who doesn't care about me personally, only about the situation.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post

I see little fail in this.

However, I see the point raz is trying to make. ISFJ (Si/Fe/Ti) and ISTJ (Si/Te/Fi). But you have to take into consideration how Fi and Fe work depending on whether or not it's an aux or tertiary function. An ISTJ will still be logic first and an ISFJ will be more subjective first, when it comes down to opinions and views. The ISTJ is a creme brulee and ISFJ is an ice cream cake. One's hard on the outside, with a softer interior. The other is soft on the outside with a stronger interior.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    I see little fail in this.

However, I see the point raz is trying to make. ISFJ (Si/Fe/Ti) and ISTJ (Si/Te/Fi). But you have to take into consideration how Fi and Fe work depending on whether or not it's an aux or tertiary function. An ISTJ will still be logic first and an ISFJ will be more subjective first, when it comes down to opinions and views. The ISTJ is a creme brulee and ISFJ is an ice cream cake. One's hard on the outside, with a softer interior. The other is soft on the outside with a stronger interior.
    My point was just that Fi and Fe's decision making are made entirely on different criteria and a subjective decision should not be looked at in a certain way.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

my bad. i sort of skipped over it. i just assumed that was the direction it was headed in. bad habit.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    ISTJ is directing in communication (which makes them seem slightly bossy) while ISFJ is informing (which makes them seem more soft.) Also, IME ISTJs are grumpier and quicker to anger than ISFJs.
    QFT. ISFJ is still somewhat opinionated, but they are less quick to assume that if you differ in opinion that you are dumb.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    SCOEI / Inquisitive

MBTI
    LoLz

Not dumb, inferior. :P