User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ????

Default How to tell an ISFP from an ISFJ?

other than the fact that ISFPs are supposed to be artists, what are some other ways of telling the difference?

MBTI
    INTJ

Not saying this is all of them, but the ISFJs I know are polite and tend to laugh and smile a lot.
    ISFPs are silly and cool and down for whatever.

your resident asshole

ISFJ's would rather make plans, while ISFP's would rather just hang out and see what happens.

ISFJ's would probably tend to want to emotionally connect to others a bit more than an ISFP would.

ISFJ's are more likely to be list-makers.

ISFP's will probably be more focused on their own pleasure, while ISFJ's will probably tend to me for focused on making sure everyone is happy.

ISFP's will tend to be more easygoing, while ISFJ's will tend to be more stubborn.

ISFJ's will tend to be more serious.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

One is decisive and the other isn't. One is an Fi dom and the other prefers Fe. There really is a pretty huge difference. The Fi dom feels deeply in an internal sort of way. The person who prefers Fe seems more "others oriented". That's how I'd describe it anyway.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    ISFJ's would rather make plans, while ISFP's would rather just hang out and see what happens.

ISFJ's would probably tend to want to emotionally connect to others a bit more than an ISFP would.

ISFJ's are more likely to be list-makers.

ISFP's will probably be more focused on their own pleasure, while ISFJ's will probably tend to me for focused on making sure everyone is happy.

ISFP's will tend to be more easygoing, while ISFJ's will tend to be more stubborn.

ISFJ's will tend to be more serious.
    This.

Although, I can be both serious and silly.

MBTI
    'sup
    Enneagram
    dawg

Ask them a question that doesn't require a yes/no answer. See if one actually gives you an answer. Wait 30 seconds and see if they do or don't change their answer or re-think it to see if they might possibly change it. Then you'll know!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

ISFP is a free-spirit (even if they're organized and have their shit together, which a lot of them do, they still have that vibe to them.) ISFJ is the opposite of that (even if they're easy-going and go-with-the-flow, which a lot of them are, they come off as more of a controlled type of person.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

ISFJs are more stubborn (can be verrry stubborn) and they enjoy arranging the external world, both for their own pleasure and to take care of or accomodate others. They are more hesitant or guarded about getting involved or allowing you into their inner circle or what have you, but they're extremely loyal once you are.

ISFJs are actually known for their humor and kindness, so you're more likely to be surprised when the ISFJ gets harsh or controlling with you, or starts reminding you to be sensible. I think ISFPs can also be good-humored and kind, making the two appear similar on the outside - you're even wrong about ISFPs more likely to be artists, because ISFJs can be very into aesthetics too, so trust me when I say they can look alike on the surface sometimes but you're far less likely to find the Kindersuprise waiting inside an ISFP that explicitly reads, "ISFJ Knows Best."

ISFJs can even come across as more "rational" or precise at times, I think, because of their Si/Ti. But then that Fe comes out and you see how subjective and mushy they really are.

I think Disney Geek's list is good, and Giggly's comment about how ISFJs are both serious and silly is what I was getting at when I said their "strictness" lies underneath their sweetness, funniness, and charm.

I think ISFPs are also more "in the moment" and ISFJs can get "stuck in the past" emotionally more often or take longer to get over things. It's not to say that ISFPs never think of the past, but ISFJs are Si doms so look to the past for the best course of action to take in the present.

I think because of Si/Fe ISFJs can seem more "giving" in a practical way, like that's where the stereotype of the ever-serving doormat ISFJ comes from (but that's just a stereotype) Fe is just more others focused, and Si is more practical, so they tend to take care of their loved ones or make sure physical needs are met, that sort of thing. This can be communicated as warmth and support rather than tangibles, though.

ISFPs aren't as "others focused" because of Fi dom, but they can be incredibly nice, so I'm not saying ISFJs are "nicer" I'm just saying they have a tendency to actively connect with others and actively promote harmony because of Fe.

I honestly love ISFJs so don't take any of this as negative, even when I say "ISFJ Knows Best" I can honestly find that kind of thing comforting, like I want them to take care of me.

/big Ne-dom baby

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Glad this has come up because I am questioning my type again. I was going to respond line by line to Marm's post until I realized that most of what she said about ISFJs is spot on for me, except....

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    ISFJs are more stubborn (can be verrry stubborn)
    I do go with the flow but if I'm honest I only do it when I really like and trust you, or when I have expressly decided that I am just going to go with the flow and not plan or think at all (which I do more often as I get older).

and they enjoy arranging the external world, both for their own pleasure and to take care of or accomodate others.
    I don't know what this means. Can you give some examples?

I think ISFPs are also more "in the moment" and ISFJs can get "stuck in the past" emotionally more often or take longer to get over things. It's not to say that ISFPs never think of the past, but ISFJs are Si doms so look to the past for the best course of action to take in the present.
    Yes, if it's really important to me, I seem to take longer than normal to get over things.....But with small stuff I let it go quicker. One of the reasons why I'm questioning my type again is because i've recently spent time with someone who I believe may be an SFJ and she seems waaaay more rigid than me and stuck in the past. So much so that she thinks I'm too laid back and reckless and will NOT trust me with things that are important to her. (<of course this offends me because it's not true and I've trusted her) She just freaks out over things that would never occur to me to freak out about.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I look to the past to make decisions in the present or the future. How does that work exactly?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Glad this has come up because I am questioning my type again. I was going to respond line by line to Marm's post until I realized that most of what she said about ISFJs is spot on for me, except....

I do go with the flow but if I'm honest I only do it when I really like and trust you, or when I have expressly decided that I am just going to go with the flow and not plan or think at all (which I do more often as I get older).
    Yes, I think Fe in general is very accomodating to others, so maybe I shouldn't have jumped in with the "stubborn" thing at the beginning of the post. It has just been my experience with SFJs that they can be very stubborn on certain issues that are important to them. I guess anyone can be, but I think ISFJs are more stubborn than ISFPs "on the outside." FPs seem more go-with-the-flow on the outside, but can become exceedingly rigid about Fi internal ethics, where as FJs may look more structured or even stubborn on the outside about certain things, but will have the "accomodating" quality of Fe when it comes down to it, where they don't insist on getting their own way necessarily because they want the people they care about to be happy and there to be harmony in the group.

I should have explained that better. I'm just thinking of several specific SFJ males I know. When they've decided they are right, they are right.

I don't know what this means. Can you give some examples?
    I was referring to the way that SFJs often want to create a particular environment - whether that be a clean, pretty, comfortable house (not saying all SFJs are clean, but that's one way it manifests) or creating systems with Si/Ti to keep things organized in another external way, in the outside world, in a more "hands on" way. I say they do this for both their own pleasure, because I think many SJs seem to enjoy order, but SFJs do it also for others, not just for themselves, because these systems they arrange tend to help them to better care for others with their Fe.

Does that make sense?

Yes, if it's really important to me, I seem to take longer than normal to get over things.....But with small stuff I let it go quicker. One of the reasons why I'm questioning my type again is because i've recently spent time with someone who I believe may be an SFJ and she seems waaaay more rigid than me and stuck in the past. So much so that she thinks I'm too laid back and reckless and will NOT trust me with things that are important to her. (<of course this offends me because it's not true and I've trusted her) She just freaks out over things that would never occur to me to freak out about.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I look to the past to make decisions in the present or the future. How does that work exactly?
    Well not all SFJs are the same, not at all. Just because you both use Si/Fe/Ti/Ne doesn't mean you'll have the same exact values or interests at all. Two ISFJs could be VERY different people.

Si collects past experience, facts, and important details and carefully weighs new information against factual or experiential information collected. In this way, Si looks to past experience or a storage of facts in order to make good decisions for today and tomorrow. Si tends to create stability in this manner.

Se will seem to just act upon the present problem, dealing with the present situation as though it were new and unique, and may neglect to refer back to the way a similar situation was handled in the past. Se is more "in the moment" for that reason, Se works with what is right there.