• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to tell an ISFP from an ISFJ?

ISFPeaceOut

MBTI Type
????
other than the fact that ISFPs are supposed to be artists, what are some other ways of telling the difference?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not saying this is all of them, but the ISFJs I know are polite and tend to laugh and smile a lot.
ISFPs are silly and cool and down for whatever.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
ISFJ's would rather make plans, while ISFP's would rather just hang out and see what happens.

ISFJ's would probably tend to want to emotionally connect to others a bit more than an ISFP would.

ISFJ's are more likely to be list-makers.

ISFP's will probably be more focused on their own pleasure, while ISFJ's will probably tend to me for focused on making sure everyone is happy.

ISFP's will tend to be more easygoing, while ISFJ's will tend to be more stubborn.

ISFJ's will tend to be more serious.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One is decisive and the other isn't. One is an Fi dom and the other prefers Fe. There really is a pretty huge difference. The Fi dom feels deeply in an internal sort of way. The person who prefers Fe seems more "others oriented". That's how I'd describe it anyway.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ISFJ's would rather make plans, while ISFP's would rather just hang out and see what happens.

ISFJ's would probably tend to want to emotionally connect to others a bit more than an ISFP would.

ISFJ's are more likely to be list-makers.

ISFP's will probably be more focused on their own pleasure, while ISFJ's will probably tend to me for focused on making sure everyone is happy.

ISFP's will tend to be more easygoing, while ISFJ's will tend to be more stubborn.

ISFJ's will tend to be more serious.

This.

Although, I can be both serious and silly.

Stu Katz

MBTI Type
'sup
Enneagram
dawg
Ask them a question that doesn't require a yes/no answer. See if one actually gives you an answer. Wait 30 seconds and see if they do or don't change their answer or re-think it to see if they might possibly change it. Then you'll know!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
ISFP is a free-spirit (even if they're organized and have their shit together, which a lot of them do, they still have that vibe to them.) ISFJ is the opposite of that (even if they're easy-going and go-with-the-flow, which a lot of them are, they come off as more of a controlled type of person.)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ISFJs are more stubborn (can be verrry stubborn) and they enjoy arranging the external world, both for their own pleasure and to take care of or accomodate others. They are more hesitant or guarded about getting involved or allowing you into their inner circle or what have you, but they're extremely loyal once you are.

ISFJs are actually known for their humor and kindness, so you're more likely to be surprised when the ISFJ gets harsh or controlling with you, or starts reminding you to be sensible. I think ISFPs can also be good-humored and kind, making the two appear similar on the outside - you're even wrong about ISFPs more likely to be artists, because ISFJs can be very into aesthetics too, so trust me when I say they can look alike on the surface sometimes but you're far less likely to find the Kindersuprise waiting inside an ISFP that explicitly reads, "ISFJ Knows Best."

ISFJs can even come across as more "rational" or precise at times, I think, because of their Si/Ti. But then that Fe comes out and you see how subjective and mushy they really are.

I think Disney Geek's list is good, and Giggly's comment about how ISFJs are both serious and silly is what I was getting at when I said their "strictness" lies underneath their sweetness, funniness, and charm.

I think ISFPs are also more "in the moment" and ISFJs can get "stuck in the past" emotionally more often or take longer to get over things. It's not to say that ISFPs never think of the past, but ISFJs are Si doms so look to the past for the best course of action to take in the present.

I think because of Si/Fe ISFJs can seem more "giving" in a practical way, like that's where the stereotype of the ever-serving doormat ISFJ comes from (but that's just a stereotype) Fe is just more others focused, and Si is more practical, so they tend to take care of their loved ones or make sure physical needs are met, that sort of thing. This can be communicated as warmth and support rather than tangibles, though.

ISFPs aren't as "others focused" because of Fi dom, but they can be incredibly nice, so I'm not saying ISFJs are "nicer" I'm just saying they have a tendency to actively connect with others and actively promote harmony because of Fe.

I honestly love ISFJs so don't take any of this as negative, even when I say "ISFJ Knows Best" I can honestly find that kind of thing comforting, like I want them to take care of me.

/big Ne-dom baby

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Glad this has come up because I am questioning my type again. I was going to respond line by line to Marm's post until I realized that most of what she said about ISFJs is spot on for me, except....

ISFJs are more stubborn (can be verrry stubborn)

I do go with the flow but if I'm honest I only do it when I really like and trust you, or when I have expressly decided that I am just going to go with the flow and not plan or think at all (which I do more often as I get older).

and they enjoy arranging the external world, both for their own pleasure and to take care of or accomodate others.

I don't know what this means. Can you give some examples?

I think ISFPs are also more "in the moment" and ISFJs can get "stuck in the past" emotionally more often or take longer to get over things. It's not to say that ISFPs never think of the past, but ISFJs are Si doms so look to the past for the best course of action to take in the present.

Yes, if it's really important to me, I seem to take longer than normal to get over things.....But with small stuff I let it go quicker. One of the reasons why I'm questioning my type again is because i've recently spent time with someone who I believe may be an SFJ and she seems waaaay more rigid than me and stuck in the past. So much so that she thinks I'm too laid back and reckless and will NOT trust me with things that are important to her. (<of course this offends me because it's not true and I've trusted her) She just freaks out over things that would never occur to me to freak out about.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I look to the past to make decisions in the present or the future. How does that work exactly?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Glad this has come up because I am questioning my type again. I was going to respond line by line to Marm's post until I realized that most of what she said about ISFJs is spot on for me, except....

I do go with the flow but if I'm honest I only do it when I really like and trust you, or when I have expressly decided that I am just going to go with the flow and not plan or think at all (which I do more often as I get older).

Yes, I think Fe in general is very accomodating to others, so maybe I shouldn't have jumped in with the "stubborn" thing at the beginning of the post. It has just been my experience with SFJs that they can be very stubborn on certain issues that are important to them. I guess anyone can be, but I think ISFJs are more stubborn than ISFPs "on the outside." FPs seem more go-with-the-flow on the outside, but can become exceedingly rigid about Fi internal ethics, where as FJs may look more structured or even stubborn on the outside about certain things, but will have the "accomodating" quality of Fe when it comes down to it, where they don't insist on getting their own way necessarily because they want the people they care about to be happy and there to be harmony in the group.

I should have explained that better. I'm just thinking of several specific SFJ males I know. When they've decided they are right, they are right.

I don't know what this means. Can you give some examples?

I was referring to the way that SFJs often want to create a particular environment - whether that be a clean, pretty, comfortable house (not saying all SFJs are clean, but that's one way it manifests) or creating systems with Si/Ti to keep things organized in another external way, in the outside world, in a more "hands on" way. I say they do this for both their own pleasure, because I think many SJs seem to enjoy order, but SFJs do it also for others, not just for themselves, because these systems they arrange tend to help them to better care for others with their Fe.

Does that make sense?

Yes, if it's really important to me, I seem to take longer than normal to get over things.....But with small stuff I let it go quicker. One of the reasons why I'm questioning my type again is because i've recently spent time with someone who I believe may be an SFJ and she seems waaaay more rigid than me and stuck in the past. So much so that she thinks I'm too laid back and reckless and will NOT trust me with things that are important to her. (<of course this offends me because it's not true and I've trusted her) She just freaks out over things that would never occur to me to freak out about.

Anyways, I'm not sure if I look to the past to make decisions in the present or the future. How does that work exactly?

Well not all SFJs are the same, not at all. Just because you both use Si/Fe/Ti/Ne doesn't mean you'll have the same exact values or interests at all. Two ISFJs could be VERY different people.

Si collects past experience, facts, and important details and carefully weighs new information against factual or experiential information collected. In this way, Si looks to past experience or a storage of facts in order to make good decisions for today and tomorrow. Si tends to create stability in this manner.

Se will seem to just act upon the present problem, dealing with the present situation as though it were new and unique, and may neglect to refer back to the way a similar situation was handled in the past. Se is more "in the moment" for that reason, Se works with what is right there.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh okay. I must use Si more than Se then, because I don't think I would ever not remember something similar that's happened to me in the past when I'm experiencing something.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh okay. I must use Si more than Se then, because I don't think I would ever not remember something similar that's happened to me in the past when I'm experiencing something.

Well an SP would remember, they just wouldn't value it as much. They prefer to look at each situation as it arises. Their strength is being able to tactically handle situations as they come up, which is why they are stereotyped as being wilder or as taking more risks.

Okay - I am very clear I have Si rather than Se, and I'm not even an SJ so maybe I can help you here (but maybe not since your Si is in the dom position...). When you have Si you want a depth of understanding about particular subjects. Depth over breadth. Part of what you enjoy about the things you know is that you know extensive details about one particular subject that you love. Or you can listen to your favorite songs over and over again, and have some of the same favorite songs for years, because part of what makes the song so good to you is the memories and sensations you have associated with that piece of music. What is understood in depth over time is more meaningful to you.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah yes, I do that. Thank you. There's a story I wrote to spirilis on my wall. Can you read that and tell me what you think about it please?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm just thinking of several specific SFJ males I know. When they've decided they are right, they are right.

my ESFJ mom too. and ISFJ grandma. when they are right, They Are Right. there is no negotiating.

nice post, also! :yes:

i'm currently trying to figure out if a friend of mine is ISFJ or ISFP (or maybe even INFJ, i guess).

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's kind of hot when they (the male version) really are right. I'm like "Yes, Daddy."

Otherwise it can get annoying, like oh shut up.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my ESFJ mom too. and ISFJ grandma. when they are right, They Are Right. there is no negotiating.

Goodness! I don't think I'm that rigid. Unless you're just an idiot.

I think it's kind of hot when they (the male version) really are right. I'm like "Yes, Daddy

Bahahahaha!

That's funny, although I would vomit if a guy reacted to me like that (mommy). :sick:

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm on my dinner break so I don't have time to respond to everything that you've said Marm but I did want to comment on this one thing:

I think it's kind of hot when they (the male version) really are right. I'm like "Yes, Daddy.".

Probably because this coming from you, but this is really cute! :devil:

I knew there was a reason I liked you so much ;)

Good posts you've made though, I'll respond when I get home from work later.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
My mum is an ISFJ, I'd say the biggest difference between us is Si is a major reference point for her, she will always refer to what she has experienced personally before considering anything else.

Me: "Mum help I just got bitten by a shark!"
Her: "I know how you feel, I was bitten by a mosquito once..."

Well exagerration obviously, but that's the kind of basic gist of it. Whenever you talk to her everything is always being dragged back to her personal experience. Anecdote is everything.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Goodness! I don't think I'm that rigid. Unless you're just an idiot.

:laugh:

well. they're not usually like that. it just pops up here and there. usually when there's a situation they've dealt with before. mom will actually just give me directions on how to do things. i just sort of watch her like "er... okay..." cause it's kind of weird to hear her direct for me. but i think that also has to do with enneagram 2 (and grandma's a 1w2), and moving to 8.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Me: "Mum help I just got bitten by a shark!"
Her: "I know how you feel, I was bitten by a mosquito once..."

Well exagerration obviously, but that's the kind of basic gist of it. Whenever you talk to her everything is always being dragged back to her personal experience. Anecdote is everything.

What I find odd is that both SFJs and NFPs do this. It's like Si combined with either F function...lmao.