ISTx

Default ISTJs

How much do you hate being an ISTJ?

MBTI
    ISTJ

I don't... Why would I?

MBTI
    ISTx

That's good. I dunno, I get annoyed/frustrated with myself sometimes.

Wanna know what the other ISTJs think of their personality.

heart on fire

Why do you get annoyed with yourself?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Why do you get annoyed with yourself?
    Taking things too seriously sometimes, internalizing a lot of emotion, not being able to relate to people of faith, etc. etc. etc.

edit:
    probably for things that other peope dislike about ISTJs.

MBTI
    ISXJ

I don't hate being ISTJ at all. *Shrug* I am who I am, and I'm not going to apologize for it or try to change who I am to fit what others think I should be. With that said, there are parts of myself that I do sometimes get annoyed with. I can definitely relate to wishing I could just cut loose more often, lighten up, and be more reckless and open with my emotions (especially since I'm female)

However, for myself, I figure that when I meet the right guy I will feel comfortable opening up and being vulnerable. I can cut loose when I am around friends I trust and love, and thankfully I can lighten up when it is "play time." Really, it's not worth obsessing over stuff that bugs you about yourself, because trust me, there will always be someone out there that is jealous of and admires/appreciates the qualities and strengths that you do possess.

Just to share for a moment, there was this girl I worked with once...she was beautiful and all the guys at work loved flirting with her. She was always on her phone, was always busy, was kind of ditzy and emotional...but not terribly. It seemed she always got what she wanted -- ya know, a semi-charmed kind of life. However, one day I was working in the back of the store and she was there with me alone. I've spoken to her on occasion, but this particular day she walked up to me and just flat out said, "How do you do it?...How are you always so calm and are able to just be you?...I am jealous of what you have." I'm not entirely sure of the look I gave her, but I was thinking in my head, "Me!? Why on earth would you be jealous of me? You're the one that has it all." Lol...just thinking of that story still cracks me up. So yeah, the grass does always seem greener on the other side. I've learned that it's best to be content with who you are, but not allow yourself to settle into complacency.

Frankly, there are things that EVERY personality wishes they can change about themselves. No one is made with all strengths and no weaknesses (*cough* Yes,thatincludesyou,INTJ's). I think different personalities exist because we are meant to compliment each other and work off each others strengths. Without that variety the world would be a very boring and perhaps a not-so-functional place. So seriously Beat, don't be so hard on yourself...and don't let it get you down that SJ's may sometimes be stereotyped into little neat "personality boxes" that supposedly account for the way we are. MBTI is nice tool and all, but it is certainly not the end-all and say-all of who I am.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    How much do you hate being an ISTJ?
    I'm no ISTJ, but I can definitely understand why you'd hate yourself.

MBTI
    type

I've worked in a place of majority ISTJs for a year, before i had to quit because i couldn't quite take the conservatism and rigidity.

perhaps where the ISTJ could improve on:

-loosening up! a sense of humor would be good.

-some spontaneity. Life does not always need to be planned.

-do not be too critical on others who just happen to not live life "your way". Just because it isn't your way, doesn't mean it is wrong.

-the stoicism is good; but sometimes, it kills you. especially when you're not in touch with your own emotions: that seems to be a blind spot for the ISTJ: they are so caught up with "living by the rules", that they forget they are living, breathing beings too, with emotions and desires of their own. It is not wrong to follow your heart, instead of the pedantry of society's dictates.

-the guiding philosophy for an ISTJ (correct me if i'm wrong) seems to be: Shit happens. You just have to bear with it.

Perhaps some fun can be injected into it? Too much stoicism can kill a person. We weren't born to be gods, after all. So maybe:

Shit happens. Throw it back at the other!

Play!
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland