User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: ISTJs

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    My parents always hated how I could never admit defeat in arguments when I was growing up.

But it was obviously because I was never wrong.
    That's exactly what my dad says. I appreciate him, and he's almost never wrong about science stuff, but still. I like to argue, and he never admits he's wrong. It's not nice. Although I suppose it's better than if he always conceded. That makes it impossible to argue at all.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by celesul View Post
    That's exactly what my dad says. I appreciate him, and he's almost never wrong about science stuff, but still. I like to argue, and he never admits he's wrong. It's not nice. Although I suppose it's better than if he always conceded. That makes it impossible to argue at all.
    On a good day he may realize he's wrong, but yeah, chances probably aren't high for him admitting it.

MBTI
    ENTP

On a good day he may realize he's wrong, but yeah, chances probably aren't high for him admitting it.
    Indeed. Sometimes if it's history related, I can convince him that I know more (especially ancient), but everything else doesn't work so well. It doesn't help that I love reading, pick up info on something he should do better than I (by virtue of being an adult), and correct him about it. It's great fun but isn't particularly a prudent path. But at least being strictly T means that if my logic is amazing, I have a chance.

How many ISTJs are atheists? Kind of off topic, but the ones here seem to be, more than I'd expect from SJs, and quite vocal about it. My dad is as well, and is convinced that it is the only way, and religion is the cause of all evil (I'm only exaggerating a bit). So is it that many ISTJs are atheists, or are they just vocal about it?
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    infp

I think the ISTJ's here are fantastic!

I'm not sure if I know any in real life... my dad is some kind of XSTJ, but I'm pretty sure its ESTJ, so I probably should use him to relate...

But I really think you guys can, when you want to, be very funny and fun to be around. If your attitude towards work is anything like my dad's though... we might not get along :steam:

Quote Originally Posted by celesul View Post
    How many ISTJs are atheists?
    Me!

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    If your attitude towards work is anything like my dad's though... we might not get along :steam:
    I prefer to avoid getting tagged with responsibility in the first place but if I can't avoid it I put my best effort into it. Mustn't have anyone think poorly of me.

MBTI
    ISTx

Sometimes I feel very atheist but I'm not at the point (nor do I ever suppose I'll be) where I'm going to absolutely deny the possibility of something that we don't fully understand that is greater than the creatures of the earth.

I'm against religion for the most part and have a lot of resentment towards aspects of it though.

MBTI
    INTJ

Sometimes I feel very atheist but I'm not at the point (nor do I ever suppose I'll be) where I'm going to absolutely deny the possibility of something that we don't fully understand that is greater than the creatures of the earth.

I'm against religion for the most part and have a lot of resentment towards aspects of it though.
    Most atheists don't deny the possibility of god; they just put that probability very close to zero. Many scientistis who are atheists (or agnostics) do believe in the existence of other advanced civilizations that could well be "greater than the creatures of the earth" depending on what you meant by that phrase.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by typo View Post
    Most atheists don't deny the possibility of god; they just put that probability very close to zero. Many scientistis who are atheists (or agnostics) do believe in the existence of other advanced civilizations that could well be "greater than the creatures of the earth" depending on what you meant by that phrase.
    Well then what differentiates an atheist from an agnostic? Do agnostics just think it's more likely that a higher power exists?

By a power greater than the creatures of the earth, I meant a spiritual being/beings that created the universe or at least holds the knowledge as to what created it and/or whoever runs an afterlife.

MBTI
    ISTx

Maybe I'm just stupid but I'm trying to make sense of that little diagram and it's not explaining much to me.

Can someone barney it down for me? At least explain epistemic knowledge. What exactly does that constitute?