User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: ISTJs

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

I don't hate it so much as I am cautious of it. I am (especially with the help of this forum) learning more all the time about what a risky group of preferences it outlines. I can see more and more what might have led me to behave that way for the majority of my life. Now I am not going to hate it...it got me this far, but I am tweaking it to serve me better. Perhaps that is one distinct advantage to ISTJ preferences; when you are able to recognize them objectively in yourself the very nature of these habits compells you to adjust them for maximum performance.

All through my twenties and thirties I didn't realize that these habits that served me well for a troubling period of time in my life, were no longer needed for my survival. But by that time it was an ingrained way of being. Friends and family would comment on it and laugh about it and get angry too...I would just get defensive and dismissive. The whole time I was invested in living the ISTJ profile (though at the time I was not even aware there was such a label) I lost more that I could have gained. The preferences had me, instead of me having them. Now I am bending them to serve me better,whatever it takes.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    I've worked in a place of majority ISTJs for a year, before i had to quit because i couldn't quite take the conservatism and rigidity.
    perhaps where the ISTJ could improve on:

-loosening up! a sense of humor would be good.
    Yeah....we have a sense of humor, you just have to look for it in the right places. Sarcasm/Cynicism are amazing things in the hands of an ISTJ when not on the clock. We take work seriously most of the time, work is work, play is play. Watch us near our closest friends and our true self emerges.
    -some spontaneity. Life does not always need to be planned.
    I hate obligations, thus am unplanned about 90% of the time. I can't live by a daily planner very well, either.
    -do not be too critical on others who just happen to not live life "your way". Just because it isn't your way, doesn't mean it is wrong.
    Not living my way and being a tard are two completely different things. My way may not be the best, true. Sometimes, however, not living it your way is better. (this is circumstantial, of course)
    -the stoicism is good; but sometimes, it kills you. especially when you're not in touch with your own emotions: that seems to be a blind spot for the ISTJ: they are so caught up with "living by the rules", that they forget they are living, breathing beings too, with emotions and desires of their own. It is not wrong to follow your heart, instead of the pedantry of society's dictates.
    Trust me, learning to live accepting/acknowledging our emotions is difficult for us. My main area of focus was knowing how to react to emotions. Without any past experience with said emotion, I was clueless as how to respond appropriately. We have to actively work at it.

-the guiding philosophy for an ISTJ (correct me if i'm wrong) seems to be: Shit happens. You just have to bear with it.

Perhaps some fun can be injected into it? Too much stoicism can kill a person. We weren't born to be gods, after all. So maybe:

Shit happens. Throw it back at the other!

Play!

I have learned that living by the label ISTJ has been unhealthy. I was living up to the defined standards as described by MBTI. Now, through about 6-7 months of psychological therapy, I am coming into my own. I have taken the test recently and scored pretty much in the middle, but favoring my type. I find the lifestyle I now portray is that of my own; the individual, Dewey.

I only dislike my inability to not correct some one grammatically/spelling-wise. I hate when someone misuses a commonly accepted word, too. My little quirk to deal with as I wish.

My thoughts,
    Dewey
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
    --Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
    --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right.
    --Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    -loosening up! a sense of humor would be good.
    Ya, my dad is an ISTJ and he's really funny when he wants to be, and has this sort of twisted sarcastic teasing sense of humor-ish.
    there's a light that never goes out

MBTI
    ISTJ

Default I'm loving it

I don't hate it, I love it.
    I feel strong, energetic and capacable to challenge everything that comes on my path. I know that through hard work I adapt to every situation.
    I like things planned and organized, but I don't go crazy when my plans don't come together. I tend to be calm and stress resistant.
    Everyday I learn more about my weak spots and that helps me to improve them. I have no tendency to correct everyone, I will only interfere when it is necessary (for me).

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
    I don't hate it, I love it.
    I feel strong, energetic and capacable to challenge everything that comes on my path. I know that through hard work I adapt to every situation.
    I like things planned and organized, but I don't go crazy when my plans don't come together. I tend to be calm and stress resistant.
    Everyday I learn more about my weak spots and that helps me to improve them. I have no tendency to correct everyone, I will only interfere when it is necessary (for me).
    I do go crazy when my plans don't come together. =/

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    That's good. I dunno, I get annoyed/frustrated with myself sometimes.

Wanna know what the other ISTJs think of their personality.
    I think a person of any personality type gets sometimes annoyed with themselves. I do it too.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Alcearos View Post
    I think a person of any personality type gets sometimes annoyed with themselves. I do it too.
    You went from cat to dog????? :horor:

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I would say it is because you are the exact opposite of an ENFP,

jk of course, ISTJ's are awesome!

MBTI
    ENTP

The ISTJs on the forum actually seem quite healthy and well rounded. Most seem to have a good sense of humor (sassafrassquatch always makes me laugh ), and all seem quite reasonable. Really, my biggest annoyance with ISTJs has been my biggest annoyance with TJs in general, that of extreme stubbornness. A healthy, balanced ISTJ, is however, quite willing to listen to reason. ^.^

Different types have different problems (mine is extreme spaceyness, and a bad sense of details), but a balanced type is pleasant. My dad is ISTJ, and quite interesting, and he appreciates NTPs, despite being quite different, although he also recognizes the weaknesses. I just avoid arguing with him, as he never admits when he lost. -.-
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    ISTx

My parents always hated how I could never admit defeat in arguments when I was growing up.

But it was obviously because I was never wrong.