• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Differences in experiences with Si among SJs and NPs?

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my last attempt at controversial title thread failed miserably (it does get you more views, but it ends up steering the conversation COMPLETELY the wrong direction lol), so let's try this again with a more palatable title :yes:
What are some of your experiences using Si and what does using it feel like to you? feel free to answer whether you're SJ, NP or another type :newwink:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When I encounter a controlling and self-absorbed NP, I tend to focus on Si because it simply irritates the crap out of them. Which is funny. Touche.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I encounter a controlling and self-absorbed NP, I tend to focus on Si because it simply irritates the crap out of them. Which is funny. Touche.

hahaha! fair enough, but what may I ask do consider to be self absorbed or controlling behavior?

uberrogo

MBTI Type
istj
It would be easier to answer your question if you presented scenarios or gave me something to work off of.

xisnotx

Permabanned
I like Si (or what I percieve to be Si in me) because..

1) It gives me the ability to remember tiny obscure details about the things I thought were important at the time. I'm good with names because I can go back and remember what a person was like a long time ago..almost like I can get a sense of their being. For example..I'll see a face that looks familiar, I'll then go back (and this can be like a face that I saw once 6 months ago) and remember the context in which I saw that face. I can then remember all the details that came with that face like the persons name, age, major, general "essence" the person displays. I can even remember the questions I had about that person when I was interacting with them...stuff like "I wonder if that scar on her lip really was a childhood injury?" or "I remember thinking that her major didn't seem to fit her personality too well, has she changed it?"

2) I can play a song in my head from beginning to end (including the beat, lyrics, everything). I remember I was quite excited when I found out I had this ability.

3) The best thing about Si is that it helps Ne pick up where it left off last time it was in use. It gives me the ability to simply remember what possibilities I was considering at the time. It would be exhausting to have to re-Ne everything every time I saw something again..but Si allows me to remember what Ne was thinking last time..so I can just go from there..

4) Si gives me the ability to re-live situations in my head. If something interesting happened to me I can "go back" and let it "happen again" in my mind. Sometimes, I do it just because it's fun...other times because I can almost give Ne a chance to re-evaluate the situation. I've realized I can also re-live feelings of enjoyment (I discovered this just recently) simply by playing a scene that happened to me over and over again. The feelings remain real even if the scene is purely in my head.

5) This might be more Ni then Si..I'm not sure..but while re-living with Si, you can change a certain detail or aspect of the situation and almost re-live an alternate reality of what could have happened. For example..if there was a person that said "hi" to me and I just said "hi" back...I can go back and re-live that situation where I actually say "hi, how's your day going?" or even stupid stuff like "Hi, gay people suck huh?". I can then play out how I perceive that whole situation would have played out if I actually had said that. It's actually quite fun thinking about all the stuff that you could have said...

*(and btw, Si is the main reason I think I'm intp). I don't use Se or Ni (at least I don't think I use Se or Ni)..and I'm introverted. So I that means I can only be intp or isfj..and there is no way Fe is close to being my preferred extroverted function, so intp it is..)
**(wouldn't a mature and well rounded xsfj be almost indistinguishable from a xntp? I find it funny that esfjs get so much flack from intps when they use the same functions and are going to end up with very similar personalities (if the above is true, obv). The people that intps hate are the very people they are destined to become..that's just hilarious to me.. )

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like Si (or what I percieve to be Si in me) because..

1) It gives me the ability to remember tiny obscure details about the things I thought were important at the time. I'm good with names because I can go back and remember what a person was like a long time ago..almost like I can get a sense of their being. For example..I'll see a face that looks familiar, I'll then go back (and this can be like a face that I saw once 6 months ago) and remember the context in which I saw that face. I can then remember all the details that came with that face like the persons name, age, major, general "essence" the person displays. I can even remember the questions I had about that person when I was interacting with them...stuff like "I wonder if that scar on her lip really was a childhood injury?" or "I remember thinking that her major didn't seem to fit her personality too well, has she changed it?"

2) I can play a song in my head from beginning to end (including the beat, lyrics, everything). I remember I was quite excited when I found out I had this ability.

3) The best thing about Si is that it helps Ne pick up where it left off last time it was in use. It gives me the ability to simply remember what possibilities I was considering at the time. It would be exhausting to have to re-Ne everything every time I saw something again..but Si allows me to remember what Ne was thinking last time..so I can just go from there..

4) Si gives me the ability to re-live situations in my head. If something interesting happened to me I can "go back" and let it "happen again" in my mind. Sometimes, I do it just because it's fun...other times because I can almost give Ne a chance to re-evaluate the situation. I've realized I can also re-live feelings of enjoyment (I discovered this just recently) simply by playing a scene that happened to me over and over again. The feelings remain real even if the scene is purely in my head.

5) This might be more Ni then Si..I'm not sure..but while re-living with Si, you can change a certain detail or aspect of the situation and almost re-live an alternate reality of what could have happened. For example..if there was a person that said "hi" to me and I just said "hi" back...I can go back and re-live that situation where I actually say "hi, how's your day going?" or even stupid stuff like "Hi, gay people suck huh?". I can then play out how I perceive that whole situation would have played out if I actually had said that. It's actually quite fun thinking about all the stuff that you could have said...

*(and btw, Si is the main reason I think I'm intp). I don't use Se or Ni (at least I don't think I use Se or Ni)..and I'm introverted. So I that means I can only be intp or isfj..and there is no way Fe is close to being my preferred extroverted function, so intp it is..)
**(wouldn't a mature and well rounded xsfj be almost indistinguishable from a xntp? I find it funny that esfjs get so much flack from intps when they use the same functions and are going to end up with very similar personalities (if the above is true, obv). The people that intps hate are the very people they are destined to become..that's just hilarious to me.. )

I think Ne and Si together make a bad ass combination. the main use I have for Si is using it as a starting point and a routinizing mechanism, while Ne improves upon the routine from the outside and makes it more effective.
example:
the following in an internal dialogue of Ne, Si and Te working together to solve a problem (that I'm currently facing actually)
problem: my grades are slipping
Ne: what if I studied more. yeah! that would work!
Si: okay, you'll need a routine then. why don't you study for 3 hours a day Monday-Friday and get your grades up.
Ne: okay
Si: (begins consistantly performing routine)
Te: you know, if you implemented XYZ studying techniques, I could cut my study time down to 2 hours
Si: (incorporates new techniques into studying and cuts down time from 3 hours to 2 hours)
Te: (keeps looking for ways to make rountine more effecient)
Ne: (comprehends the information necessary for the routine)
Si: (keeps consistantly doing the routine)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
To me, Si provides the base rhythm to which I'll improvise a melody. Cooking a new recipe is so much easier if you don't have to think about where the pots and pans are. I'm a real SJ in the kitchen - everything has its place and should be there.
The routine of teaching hours makes me more productive and happy than the gliding, free hours in academics. I like the routine "beat" on the background; it provides support, helps to keep the idea-generating Ne on track.
The "remembering details" aspect of Si also has it's merit. It's like a toolbox. Eg. while writing:
Ne - Wouldn't it be cool to let our heroes fight in a big, great library?
Si - Here are some images of antique libraries we've visited.
Ne - What if we add a glass ceiling to that one?
Si - You mean transparant panes like this or a mosaic like that or...?
What would the "fight in a library" scene be without some nice detail description of the library? Without falling glass ceiling?
Usually I don't do that consciously. I'm writing the scene, images of a library pop into my head; and afterwards I realize it's a mix of several real buildings.

I think an SJ would do it the other way around. Ne comes when it's allowed to goof off or when it's needed to find a new solution because the known ones wouldn't work here.

quidtimeam

MBTI Type
INTP
I notice that oftentimes, when I write, I become overly fixated on some physical details in the environment I aim to describe. This is likely due to the wavering of tertiary Si. However, the selectivity of Si also helps me to choose the most powerful details that add to characterization or atmosphere. Generally, either I have tunnel vision, or none at all.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

Never! LOL.

My Entp coworker is in LOVE with this ISFJ chick. She puts him through it- because they are total opposites. Maturity will bring them closer to the middle but they will never look the same. I find it kind of hilarious that he and she are another ENFP/ISTJ total opposite attraction.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, even with development of tertiary and inferior the opposing types will NEVER look the same.

The employment of tertiary and inferior serves a different purpose for the individual, even when developed.

I've already answered a bunch of questions about Si in other threads, I believe this thread may even be a duplicate.