Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default SJs and poetry...

Since we are apparently an equal opportunity forum, no matter how wasteful of energy it might be, I figured that I should pose this question to the SJs, as well:

Do you like poetry?

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Do you like poetry?
    I'd say I take a fairly neutral stance toward it. I can enjoy and appreciate it, but I don't seek out books of poetry or anything. I do like that poetry doesn't have one interpretation only, and therefore allows you to be creative and explore different possibilities of what the author was trying to convey, but sometimes the "open to interpretation" part can be annoying because when you have to write a paper on poetry for school there is a grade assigned to your interpretation. How can you put an objective grade on something that is clearly subjective in its nature? Blah.

I actually had a poem of mine published in a book when I was in the 8th grade...lol. My teacher submitted it to some contest, and I won I'd consider posting it here, but it is so terribly lame...I just wanted to finish my homework (we had to turn in like a portfolio of 10 poems)...and I just made wrote whatever rhymed and came to mind the night before.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

I must admit I am neutral about poetry as well....I don't seek it out or purchase it....and I don't avoid it when it is presented. I seemore poetics in natural relationships and proportions and this seems to occupy the part of my life that poetry might.

Damn, there goes 60 seconds I'll never get back!....
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ISTx

Same. Not crazy about it nor against it. I can appreciate a good poem but I don't go out of my way to explore the world of poetry.

Poetry is fluffy crap.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I will not actively seek out poetry, nor do I particularly like it. It doesn't inspire or motivate me; it's just there.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Do you like poetry?
    Not really. If I can understand it and it has good meaning however, I will enjoy a good poem.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Well, if it's too figurative I don't like it, just as I don't like abstract art. I do like good poetry with meaning and substance to it, although like the others said I don't usually look for it. I do like a little book someone gave me that I think is called "the Jade Flute." It's a collection of translated ancient Chinese poems and I really enjoy them. I also like how classic books used to have original poetry sprinkled here and there. Poems are cool and it must be nice to be talented in that area.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~Plato

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Generally, no. However, I occasionally hear something that I enjoy and gives me motivation...usually if it appeals to things that are very important to me (family, faith, country). I am no more inspired by them than I am, say, a good quote, though.

I will definitely not buy a book of poems, check one out of the library, or even search for them on the internets. Usually they make me want to roll my eyes. Unless, of course, we are talking about Shel Silverstein...in which case, bring on the Whatifs and their rhyming ways!
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yes, I do. I like Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frank O'Hara, Dylan Thomas, and a few more.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"