• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs and poetry...

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Well I go over this one with my 10 year old son, to improve his reading and we discuss what has been read to improve his comprehension. Some words are difficult for him, but then it teaches him to use dictionary.com. :laugh:

180 Poems

^

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I like poems that tell stories in a colorful way like The Cremation of Sam McGee. Also I like Robert Frost sometimes. Other than that I consider it useless and uninteresting. At its worst, poetry is people writing cryptic messages that convey opinions on things, and I don't really care what they have to say.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Although i will read it sometimes, poetry doesn't entice me enough.
There isn't a beginning, middle and end for me to get absorbed into. I like to see anything really unfold. I suppose it just isn't fulfilling for me.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like poems that tell stories in a colorful way like The Cremation of Sam McGee. Also I like Robert Frost sometimes. Other than that I consider it useless and uninteresting. At its worst, poetry is people writing cryptic messages that convey opinions on things, and I don't really care what they have to say.
QFT.
The Cremation of Sam McGee is awesome. Although once I heard someone reading it like it was supposed to be intense and disturbing, when it's really supposed to be kind of funny... which bugged me.
Story poems are great in general; e.g. The Raven.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
QFT.
The Cremation of Sam McGee is awesome. Although once I heard someone reading it like it was supposed to be intense and disturbing, when it's really supposed to be kind of funny... which bugged me.
Story poems are great in general; e.g. The Raven.

Yeah my take on the sam mcgee is that it's supposed to be told not read. the speaker should use an intense tone so first time listeners get a more surprising ending. Still though, if you've ever been out in the snow in the middle of nowhere the story is chilling none the less.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Herein lies the problem with me and poetry! There isn't supposed to be a "correct" interpretation, right? And yet, I'm always looking for one.
...*sigh* :doh:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, I believe it has been done recently. Here is the topic if you are interested.

For my response, I will quote what I wrote there:

I am also like you, EJCC, in that I enjoy poetry that is straightforward and has to do with every day life and the sensory world. If it is open to a lot of interpretation, it loses my interest very quickly.

That's different...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's different...
If you mean the thread topics, I see them as essentially the same.

So, while I was not a mod in 2009, I am a mod now -- so I merged them. :alttongue:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I'm indifferent. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either... unless it's in song form of course. :headphne:

Apparently this was my opinion 6 years ago. Hello, past me!

No, I do not like poetry aside from music. I am not indifferent. Call me stupid, but literature has never appealed to me.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apparently this was my opinion 6 years ago. Hello, past me!

No, I do not like poetry aside from music. I am not indifferent. Call me stupid, but literature has never appealed to me.
While I support poetry, I am glad you know yourself better, now.

BWCB1890

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yes I am a fan of Tennyson, Shakespeare, and Philip Larkin.

Sil

This is a test.
For the most part, no. Unless it's older (pre-1950), I find it oftentimes pretentious, written by people with a grandiose sense of self.