User Tag List

First 1234 Last

your resident asshole

I'm indifferent. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either... unless it's in song form of course.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I took a 'which famous poet are you' test on here the other day .. I can't give you her name as i am on the other computer .. I did read up on her and it was interesting.

Generally no .. Poetry for me although incredibly beautiful, it doesn't do enough for me. I would prefer to read a book, get absorbed in that and see the progression and then conclusion.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ

Poetry exists so that people can project their own meanings into vague prose and then take on an attitude of intellectual superiority for having done so.

I have better things to do with my time than read deliberately obscurantist, self-important foppery.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    I have better things to do with my time than read deliberately obscurantist, self-important foppery.

You should stay out of the NT private forum then...

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    Poetry exists so that people can project their own meanings into vague prose and then take on an attitude of intellectual superiority for having done so.

This is my understanding as well. Some poems are good, but poetry is just proof that people have too much time on their hands. I prefer regular prose.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Default Fellow SJs: do you enjoy poetry?

I like it well enough, but I can get impatient with it, because I often want it to just "get to the point", even though "getting to the point" is not what poetry is about, if you understand my meaning. I also have trouble interpreting my own meaning from poems when there aren't any helpful hints within them. (Billy Collins is one of my favorite poets, probably because he's a little more straightforward, as well as funny.)

I'm especially interested in hearing from ISTJs about this. You guys are my brethren, after all - more so than SFJs. But I still would be interested in hearing from all SJs who care to answer.

So...? Do you like it? Got any favorite poets? Or do you hate poetry?

p.s. I hope this thread hasn't been done before...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    xSFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Actually, I believe it has been done recently. Here is the topic if you are interested.

For my response, I will quote what I wrote there:

Generally, no. However, I occasionally hear something that I enjoy and gives me motivation...usually if it appeals to things that are very important to me (family, faith, country). I am no more inspired by them than I am, say, a good quote, though.

I will definitely not buy a book of poems, check one out of the library, or even search for them on the internets. Usually they make me want to roll my eyes. Unless, of course, we are talking about Shel Silverstein...in which case, bring on the Whatifs and their rhyming ways!
    I am also like you, EJCC, in that I enjoy poetry that is straightforward and has to do with every day life and the sensory world. If it is open to a lot of interpretation, it loses my interest very quickly.
    Si, Fe equal Fi & Ti

"I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. They remind me of summer, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on. Better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like it." -Mitch Hedberg

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Thanks for your reply!
    So... how do I delete this thread?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISTJ

Well, I don't think I wrote in that one so I'll just write it here:

Some poetry is all right I guess, but sometimes it is annoying because it is slow, usually boring, and almost ALWAYS about something irrelevant/useless (in my mind anyway).
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I find poetry somewhat useless. Not in usual sense of uselessness, but as a form of art. I feel that there are other, better ways to deliver the same ideas and emotions to the listener/viewer of the art.

I personally feel that quotes and phrases deliver more, and are easier to understand, thus being superior. I'm a real sucker for these. "When gazing into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you" or sumthing...
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla