• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ENFP - Big Talk with an ISTJ

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
What worries me is the thought you mentioned about dating others. That was pretty WTF to me. Whenever I think things like that, the relationship is already dead. Not even dying.. dead. So..

Well, we've been dating for over 6 years and have broken up perhaps twice, which didn't last long because we didnt want to date anyone else. We thought maybe we should try but never really did... well, I did a little bit, but him not so much. We really just can't stay away from each other...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oooh...me and my ESFJ ex were like that for a long time, couldn't stay away from each other, very powerful stuff, real love. But there was such a dysfunctional element to his approach to relationships (with all people, not just me) and he wouldn't seek counseling. I'm talking about a pretty serious issue. If you and your ISTJ don't have any SERIOUS dysfunction like my ESFJ ex and I did, and you feel that strongly about one another, perhaps you should try to make it work.

Especially since you share a common background and the same religious faith, that does count for something - at least for some people it does - the only thing is, I dunno, could you get a job where you travel? That way he could feel safe and secure, but you could see the world and get the change you crave?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Did you ever try listing options you'd like and make him pick one he might like too, and which might have a connection with your hometown (example: cheap frequent flights, if he wants to visit)? Basically, did you ever try to bring this discussion to its practical and realistic end? Or did you just say "I WISH TO SEE THE WORLD, I'D LIKE TO CHANGE MANY CITIES!" and discussed the issue in a way which might have made him think that you would want to relocate on a yearly basis?

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
My boyfriend got a second interview for a job where he could pick any city in the state to live in. He says he is going to pick our hometown if he is hired. He isn't even considering my feelings at all. We never had the 'talk'. He says next time he sees me in person we could talk about it, but since I am living 2 hours away from him I am worried he's going to go to the interview before we can talk about it. I tried to explain to him that I couldn't find a job in our home city, but he doesn't care. I can't wait tables for the rest of my life. I feel the weight on me now. I mean, am I being selfish? is he being selfish? He says there's no reason for him to pick any other city, i said... what about for me? ... and he didnt really say anything memorable... ........

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My boyfriend got a second interview for a job where he could pick any city in the state to live in. He says he is going to pick our hometown if he is hired. He isn't even considering my feelings at all. We never had the 'talk'. He says next time he sees me in person we could talk about it, but since I am living 2 hours away from him I am worried he's going to go to the interview before we can talk about it. I tried to explain to him that I couldn't find a job in our home city, but he doesn't care. I can't wait tables for the rest of my life. I feel the weight on me now. I mean, am I being selfish? is he being selfish? He says there's no reason for him to pick any other city, i said... what about for me? ... and he didnt really say anything memorable... ........

"What about me?" is the important theme here. I'm gonna be honest ( as one who has also had ISTJ relationships before): you can't make them bend, not without them resenting you for it. And your craving for change, for things to evolve and be in flux, isn't going to go away. It's part of our personalities to see how wide the horizon is. I understand his need for roots, and staying near family, but that's clearly not the way you feel, and you can't drown in mediocrity ( because you will drown in it ) just because he doesn't want to leave. Wings are for flying, not for sitting in a cage and looking pretty.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
"What about me?" is the important theme here. I'm gonna be honest ( as one who has also had ISTJ relationships before): you can't make them bend, not without them resenting you for it. And your craving for change, for things to evolve and be in flux, isn't going to go away. It's part of our personalities to see how wide the horizon is. I understand his need for roots, and staying near family, but that's clearly not the way you feel, and you can't drown in mediocrity ( because you will drown in it ) just because he doesn't want to leave. Wings are for flying, not for sitting in a cage and looking pretty.

Agree wholeheartedly. I would add that "being selfish" is looked down upon because of the perception of not caring for anyone else. Caring for others is a good thing. Doing so at the expense of yourself is not a good thing.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

I can't say that I have ever been so attached to something like this guy....I mean I can be stuck on something but this one is a problem. You might have to show him how serious you are.
'Love me, or leave me alone'

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I can't say that I have ever been so attached to something like this guy....I mean I can be stuck on something but this one is a problem. You might have to show him how serious you are.
'Love me, or leave me alone'

But, am I too stuck on what I want too? Aren't we both being too attached to our wants? This is why I can't figure out what to do. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but I feel like me having to give up what I want is asking more than him giving up his. He will find new friends. We can always come home to visit. IZthe411 are you ISTJ?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think your ISTJ expects you to straighten up and act right and be an ESFJ.

Is that really how you want to spend the rest of your life? If so, that's cool, but if you want things and will never be able to have them (as opposed to him, who could always just go home) you might get very extremely resentful.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
But, am I too stuck on what I want too? Aren't we both being too attached to our wants? This is why I can't figure out what to do. I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but I feel like me having to give up what I want is asking more than him giving up his. He will find new friends. We can always come home to visit. IZthe411 are you ISTJ?

I am, and you are, since there's no compromise in this situation.

Did you try to entice him to go visit someplace nearby, for him to get a taste of being away?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm gonna say this: when I was with my ESFJ ex I increasingly got the feeling he wanted me to be more of an SFP than an NFP. There was something he loved about me, like he would be like "you can be so cool sometimes and you're so sexy" but he wanted a more ...Sensor ...version of me basically. He wanted a freaking SP and it's so obvious in retrospect.

And also, he would say things to me sometimes, things like asking me if I was going to run away with an INTx friend I have who I talked to on-line (who, btw, I've never had any sort of romantic connection to at all) because, in my ESFJ exes words "He's more the same kind of person that you are." He would also say I had a nerd fetish, and tell me he could never be "that guy."

I don't know if you have any similar strange moments with your ISTJ, but all of this is soo, soo weird to me...because ESFJ and I were so seemingly passionately, crazy in love ...and I didn't even know much about MBTI at that time...and we were basically observing type differences. It's so odd. It's why I believe in all of this theory, it's like OMG A-HA THATS WHAT IT IS.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
totally understand needing to live somewhere that provides opportunities. you need to be uplifted and inspired by your environment and feel your life could go in so many different directions. istjs don't really seem to need that. they need opportunities in their chosen field and a steady comfortable life. it is my opinion that they could be content in many more places than most enfps...so...i guess i'm saying you as a couple have to learn to prioritize needs and flex to give the other what means more to them...i think you should move to dallas or austin or something...it's close enough to drive for weekend visits. you can have a bigger city with more opportunities and he's not too far away from home.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am, and you are, since there's no compromise in this situation.

Did you try to entice him to go visit someplace nearby, for him to get a taste of being away?

That idea's not half bad. You should give it a try 2XT!

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I mean, am I being selfish?
No, didn't sound like it. This is something to be concerned about. If he really cares about you, I don't see how he could avoid the huge question in this whole matter:
... what about for me?
To me, it really all boils down to that. Deciding where to live is a major decision, and if I were planning on staying long-term with someone, I'd of course be interested in her views on it, quite a bit. Perhaps you just haven't made it clear to him how/why this is an important thing for you.

Having that talk is probably important. If you can't do it in person before his interview, maybe at least on the phone? Better than nothing, right?

Do what you think is best, but I wish you both happier times.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Clearly and concisely identify the benefits to both of you; financially and experience wise of doing so. Remind him that he can always travel back to visit people or they can visit him.

tayto

He'll never understand you and you will never understand him. Tough I know but that's just the way it is. My advice would be to break it off for a year and go travelling. See the world, meet new people, get a new perspective. See how you both feel when you get back.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Look at things logically instead of feelings. How easy is it for him to get a job compared to you. If its easier for him then he should focus on helping you live where you can get a job easier. Who is logically giving up more.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
I like tayto's gap year idea. You can both assess how important the relationship is to each of you vs the lifestyles you want. And getting away gives you a chance to have a breather.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
We finally had a mini-talk about it. His interview is this Friday...

I told him all I could, I tried to be as less NF as I possibly could. I more asked him questions to get him to understand that it would be me who suffers more from this than him. He really sees all my points of views as being dreamy/grass is always greener. And I wish he would understand that CHANGE can BRING SOMETHING BETTER. It really can. He just never want to change his little bubble.

He came to the realization that he has no life goals (at least not career oriented). He admitted this, though I already knew it. He picked his major not because he took interest in it, it was because he didn't hate it. He doesn't really enjoy anything besides hanging out with his family and doing church activities (the church is fine with me, though, I wish he wouldnt get so attached to THAT church, but remember that God can exist in other churches as well...) His goals to be happy in life is to get married, have a family and be involved with his own family.

My goals is to move to a big city, I want to work in the creative field, making films/marketing/advertising things like that. I need to move for more opportunity. I am career oriented! (I think Im also an ennegram 3...?) Our realization that our goals do not match up make us kind of nervous. at least, that's the feeling I got from him. He will not be happy unless he is in the same town as his parents and his home church. Final. I said that I wouldn't be happy unless I am doing something meaningful with my life career-wise.

!!!!! I did learn that he has a fear of his parents getting old and no one taking care of them. His brother already moved 9 hours away, so he feels it's his duty to care for them once they get old. He also feels that his mother may out live his father, and he doesnt want her to be lonely. . .
I understand this.. I do.. but .. this kind of creeps me out. I mean, eugh... I'm 25 years old, I dont want to be thinking about taking care of an old bitter eldery 20 years from now. WTF, really....

Lots and lots and lots and lots of resentment.
I mentioned this.. i said I do not want either of us to resent each other.. he just said yeah i understand....

Look at things logically instead of feelings. How easy is it for him to get a job compared to you. If its easier for him then he should focus on helping you live where you can get a job easier. Who is logically giving up more.
Agreed. I said this. So many times. He doesn't understand what is it like to have a dream! He just thinks "You can get a job with your degree, it may not be what you want, but it's still a job that will pay the bills." I want to work on films, and it's possible I can do that and travel while still living in our hometown, but I want to escape it. It's a better opportunity to go there than wait for it to come to me.

I like tayto's gap year idea. You can both assess how important the relationship is to each of you vs the lifestyles you want. And getting away gives you a chance to have a breather.

We broke up once before for about a year or two (though the second year, we were basically dating without a title). I dont want to break up with him. I want to marry him, I just don't want to live in our hometown. Dammit!!! I KNOW that if he gets this job, he is proposing ASAP. My ENTJ father keeps telling me to wait it out and not freak out until he gets the job, he tells me not to move back home until we get married/proposed, for me to keep looking for job possibilities in other cities.

The thing is, my boyfriend doesnt have much work experience. So, according to my ENTJ dad, my boyfriend cant afford to turn down a job, if he is hired and wants to be stationed in our hometown, I shouldnt fuse about it. I just dont think he understands how Si my boyfriend is. Things cannot change.

I also explained to him about this seasonal depression thing, I HATE winter and the cold, dark days. I want to move somewhere warmer! This is what he says, This is ridiculous.. he says, "but, if we move away to somewhere warmer..where will we vacation to?" Then he goes on to say that if we moved somewhere warm, then we will get spoiled by the warm weather and when it reaches 40 or 50 degrees, we will complain because it take it for granted. He thinks we'll turn into one of those kind of people. i mean WHAT THE HELL!? WHO THINKS LIKE THIS? HOW COULD THIS THOUGHT HOLD YOU BACK FROM WANTING TO MOVE TO THE BEACH?!

Anyways
What do you guys think? Continue this idea of "we'll cross the bridge when we get there" thing?