User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Let's Discuss Si, Shall We?

My fellow SJs,

How would you describe your primary perception function?

What is Si to you?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

It keeps me in line.

Seriously, without Si, I would constantly avoid work I need to do by tackling huge and pointless projects, and then feeling guilty afterwards. My Si helps me sort out my priorities, and reminds me what I really NEED to be doing. I dunno how I could live without it.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    My fellow SJs,

How would you describe your primary perception function?

What is Si to you?
    For me, the primary useage for it is when I someone or deal with a situation, I compare it against every other situation, book, movie, song or person similar to it and react accordingly. The downside to this is that when I meet someone for the first time or run into a situation that's brand new to me.....I have no idea what to do. I clam up and I take an observer approach to the person: Analyze and record.

People don't realize it, but when I first meet them in person I am analyzing EVERYTHING about them and I do mean everything. I pay attention to the things the say, the way they say it, and the body language they put off. From that, I extrapolate a profile in my head about this person based on what I said above and once I have a full idea of who they are, then I start to really interact with this person. But until then...I am extremely quiet and to myself.

What was interesting to me, when I discovered MBTI, is how some people don't think like this. That just blew me away. I mean, that there are people who don't compare people or things to previous experiences? How the hell do you even get out the door?

Of course, they obviously do make it out the door so it's interesting to me to learn about how other people come to the conclusions they make and the means of which they go about doing it as this also helps me learn and understand people
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    It keeps me in line.

Seriously, without Si, I would constantly avoid work I need to do by tackling huge and pointless projects, and then feeling guilty afterwards. My Si helps me sort out my priorities, and reminds me what I really NEED to be doing. I dunno how I could live without it.
    Si doesn't stop me from that LOL. Maybe mines is not strong enough. I tend to be drawn towards the pointless because I don't want to do whatever is in front of me.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't understand it very well so I'm not entirely sure what it looks like and when I'm using it but apparently I have a lot of it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I'm not sure where the line goes between Si and Te for me.

My head carries vast amount of information about everything. I usually cope well with matters requiring general knowledge.

I also like to keep tract of progress of all kind. For example, when walking in a city, I track my movements in a mental map, much like GPS navigator.
    I often find myself tracking for simple patterns, such as straight lines, pairs and circles. For example, if there's a light post somewhere along the street, I might unintentionally check whether the rest light posts are in a straight line. Or if products are arrangedi in an alphabetical order at the grocery store.

I think, it's sort of function for ultimate data collection. And I have a thing for statistical phenomens. I keep checking statistics for all kinds of sports leagues, even thought I wouldn't follow the leagues themselves. For example, I know somewhat a lot about NHL's stats, even though I have never watched a whole match.

What I don't do is data processing. I usually just keep the data as it is, and rarely make much conclusions of it. I guess this is the reason why Si people might miss things said between the lines at times.

It's kinda hard to describe the way I think, because that's really the only way I know how to think.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Hmm, this is an interesting topic. Si and se don't get discussed often.
    As a tert. user, I guess I use it to compare and contrast current situations, then extroplolate outwards when I get more input.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I tend to observe Si more from the outside, as a Se dom who lives with a Si dom... the similarities and differences are amusing

for instance... I cook without using recipes and by tasting the food until I decide it tastes good... he uses recipes more often and tastes the food to see if it tastes RIGHT... he's the one who realizes if I forget the oregano or something of that sort

he's also the one who reminds me, when I'm trying an unusual way of fixing a problem, what I did wrong last time... such as "if you're going to fix the garbage disposal, you might want to remember to turn it off... you DO remember what happened last time don't you?"
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i'm glad someone made this thread! i was going to make one just like it myself because i am curious about Si

my ESFJ mom thinks she doesn't have an amazing memory, i think cause dad (INTP) is practically a medical encyclopedia, but holy crap. i swear my mom has a detailed map of our whole city in her mind. i have no idea how she does it. she's also really good at finding her way when on the streets without a map.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683
    What was interesting to me, when I discovered MBTI, is how some people don't think like this. That just blew me away. I mean, that there are people who don't compare people or things to previous experiences? How the hell do you even get out the door?
    agreed, about it blowing your mind to hear that other people think really, really differently than you. how the hell do you remember all that stuff?! my general process is so touch-and-go...

Reposting this…

I relate to Little Linguist's Ne perception in that my focus is often not exactly on the object. I can most certainly see a color as a color and an apple as an apple, but there is also a level of detachment. It can easily go from the color to my own thoughts regarding the things associated with it, things I've encountered in the past. Maybe a line from a book I've read some time ago will immediately pop up. Often, my head is then filled with thoughts and questions branching off from that line in that book. It can go on and on. I think that Si and Ne are more related in this way than is immediately apparent. In my mind, the difference is like this: Si associations are a chain of falling dominoes, though not always in a single line, while Ne associations are the billiard balls shooting off, I prefer to say 'outward' instead of 'future', after the white ball hits. In both cases, the object of perception is there primarily to provoke a set of unrelated mental "events". Maybe that's why Si-Ne works so well in tandem. Put together, the web just gets more and more infinite.

I'd also like to point out the emphasis I place on [subjective] meaning. The reason that I become so attached to things is because I am attached to what they represent. Each important object is embedded with meaning and viewed accordingly. Very often, the personal meaning trumps the object to the extent that even while consciously not valuing the object, I am compelled to preserve it. This is why I don't like constant dramatic change if it's not especially important. The new object is "empty", with no history and no meaning. I also don't "know" it or how much I can rely on it. So you see, to have all of my meanings uprooted again and again by change or discard, especially for no great reason in particular, would be akin to having my personal world destroyed [and to top it all off, replaced with basically nothing]. The worst thing about having prominent Si is feeling like I am in a constant battle against time's natural [and inevitable] erosion of my world.

So sometimes I find it's like... outside can feel surreal while I know that inside is what I can trust. Inside does not change so much as it expands.

Regarding memory, my Si "memory" process is in actuality maybe only about 50% conscious memory. I say that because I often don't consciously choose to remember something, I certainly don't remember everything, and sometimes, I don't even know where a memory is coming from. Information is grabbed from everything that I come into contact with, but often on a subconscious level. Later on, even years later on, it bubbles up into my conscious mind and that's when the "hey, this is familiar" moment happens. Sometimes it's very vague and I have to wait to discover the origin of it.

I am completely dreadful at remembering dry details if I'm not interested. I also don’t learn or remember things well if I am trying too much. It stays longer and is stored more deeply when I just let it swish around and “soak in” somehow, without too much conscious effort. The more I experience something, the more it naturally soaks in. Maybe that is why SJs are associated with learning through repetition?

But the storing isn’t limited to general detail. I can bring up past feelings, thoughts, and very often sensations as well. I think that Socionics' Si description is very appropriate when it states that Si users are also strongly attuned to what's going on inside of their bodies. I rarely try to maintain it as I would conscious memory. It’s just floating around -- like having a mini-world -- inside of my subconscious. And of course, I love visiting again and again.

Because the images, and sometimes sensations, are so “real” inside, I can fall into the trap of trusting and favoring my internal world over actual reality (along with not trusting new things immediately). I don't notice how amazing reality is as well until I'm confronted by it again.

Last, I think that most descriptions of Si are really Si-Te, so it was easy for me to think that routine, prioritization and organization were innate qualities of Si itself. But now I kind of disagree. I do feel my overpowering need to have things in the “right place”, but as for actual organization, it might come more from my relief process (Ti) than Si. I love learning about systems. I am very interested in how anything can be categorized, analyzed, and of course how it is internally structured or ordered. I often have more fun learning about something than simply enjoying it.

But I am messy, don't prioritize well, bad at making/following routines, can be *very* annoyed by undue repetition, bored with most stereotypical ISJ things (shadow Te, I suppose).