• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Liberal SJs

RooDee

Well I'm a ISTJ and also a veteran of OIF. I think of myself more of a moderate when it comes to politics. For this election I will be voting Democratic because John McCain does not fully support the veterans. He voted three times against VA medical care funding. Most importantly he refused to support the new GI Bill and was opposed against it. When President bush finally passed the bill after talking against it, he then gave McCain the credit which was 100% BS.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the social leftism comes from the SJ focus on justice and fairness.
No one would say they're against justice or fairness. The terms can mean completely different things to different people.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Right-wing SJ women, come out of the shadows and unite with me!

*crickets chirping*

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No one would say they're against justice or fairness. The terms can mean completely different things to different people.

Okay, that was NOT what I said. Everyone believes that they're for justice and fairness, no matter what side of the political spectrum they're on.

... which just made me change my mind. I've now decided that SJs can be liberal or conservative, but whichever one they are, they're PASSIONATE about it. They aren't going to change their party, and they aren't going to change their value system, because of what I said about justice and fairness. Liberal SJs might be passionate about minority rights because aspects of that issue (let's say they believe that the lack of gay marriage rights in America is unconstitutional) spark their need for laws to be fair. SJs are almost always going to find something in government that's unfair, and that's probably going to be the one aspect of it that they fight against. (so far as I know, SJs have never understood the idea of "rebel without a cause".) This could just be me (ESTJ) and none of the other SJs, so let me know if I'm way off base.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, that was NOT what I said. Everyone believes that they're for justice and fairness, no matter what side of the political spectrum they're on.

... which just made me change my mind. I've now decided that SJs can be liberal or conservative, but whichever one they are, they're PASSIONATE about it. They aren't going to change their party, and they aren't going to change their value system, because of what I said about justice and fairness. Liberal SJs might be passionate about minority rights because aspects of that issue (let's say they believe that the lack of gay marriage rights in America is unconstitutional) spark their need for laws to be fair. SJs are almost always going to find something in government that's unfair, and that's probably going to be the one aspect of it that they fight against. (so far as I know, SJs have never understood the idea of "rebel without a cause".) This could just be me (ESTJ) and none of the other SJs, so let me know if I'm way off base.
Exactly.
I was about to spell the thing out.. but you did it so much better.

I do hope you stay in the forum.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
The type descriptions portray SJs as conservative, traditional and from a USian perspective very Republican. When I was a Christian I held the usual fundy conservative positions. After deconverting I reevaluated everything and now on a one dimensional US political spectrum I'm mostly a lefty.

I’m curious about how SJs go about holding liberal ideals and such.
I think that this may be overrated. The only person that I have ever discussed type with in detail was ISTJ. She was quite liberal on some things, but conservative on others. Take these Political Affiliations for what they're worth. However as an ISTP I have always viewed myself as a Centrist which is reflected in the stats.

MBTI Type
ENTP

No, I more or less agree with what you've "now decided".

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5

Yes, this is very true for me. I am a liberal, and in my case it's because my family depended a lot on government progams when I was growing up because my parents had low-paying jobs. So I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction toward any kind of conservatism in that specific area.

I can get really stupidly reactive about it: "Take away food stamps and poor children will STARVE!!"

I'm able to stay calm unless something specific triggers me and I just lose all rationality.

And being a "rebel without a cause" just seems like self-indulgence to me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What do you think ? Too asslike ? :D

LiberalSearchingFor.jpg

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
To be honest social conservativism is something I have never been able to understand fully. It's like trying to stop a flood by bare hands. You may disagree that your home must be destroyed by the flood, you may not like it, but that's what is going to happen regardless of your opinion. It's more efficient to let go, and hope you will remain alive somehow, rather than drown.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yes, this is very true for me. I am a liberal, and in my case it's because my family depended a lot on government progams when I was growing up because my parents had low-paying jobs. So I tend to have a knee-jerk reaction toward any kind of conservatism in that specific area.

I can get really stupidly reactive about it: "Take away food stamps and poor children will STARVE!!"

I'm able to stay calm unless something specific triggers me and I just lose all rationality.

And being a "rebel without a cause" just seems like self-indulgence to me.

Children will not starve if you take away food stamps. Especially if you make it easier for adults to get low-paying-but-steady work.

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Children will not starve if you take away food stamps. Especially if you make it easier for adults to get low-paying-but-steady work.

What do you mean by low-paying-but-steady work? A single parent with two kids who has a steady job making the minimum wage simply isn't going to get by without help. I think that the haves and have-nots are a fundamental part of a capitalist system and so, morally, a safety net is needed.

I just like the idea of having the funds there for those kids just in case. Going back to what I was saying in my previous thread, though, my opinion on this matter is founded on the sense of helplessness I felt as a kid growing up, so it comes from a completely emotional place, not a rational one. It's a totally fear-based thing, so I don't really see it changing no matter how many facts are thrown at me. I'm very resistant to changing it.

I'm just being honest, sorry!

I do appreciate how you presented it in terms of "the kids won't starve" instead of saying "who cares if they starve?" It's the people who see things from that sort of social darwinist perspective that I have a very difficult time dealing with.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
What do you mean by low-paying-but-steady work? A single parent with two kids who has a steady job making the minimum wage simply isn't going to get by without help. I think that the haves and have-nots are a fundamental part of a capitalist system and so, morally, a safety net is needed.

I just like the idea of having the funds there for those kids just in case. Going back to what I was saying in my previous thread, though, my opinion on this matter is founded on the sense of helplessness I felt as a kid growing up, so it comes from a completely emotional place, not a rational one. It's a totally fear-based thing, so I don't really see it changing no matter how many facts are thrown at me. I'm very resistant to changing it.

I'm just being honest, sorry!

I do appreciate how you presented it in terms of "the kids won't starve" instead of saying "who cares if they starve?" It's the people who see things from that sort of social darwinist perspective that I have a very difficult time dealing with.

At least you're honest. I'm a libertarian, so I actually don't even believe in a minimum wage, but we can argue about that in a political thread later. ;) Besides, no one I have ever met has ever said, "Who cares if they starve?" I've seen that as a libertarian stereotype, but it's never, ever been the case. The people I've met with the most blase attitude toward the poor have actually been Democrats and the politically indifferent.

frenchkiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Besides, no one I have ever met has ever said, "Who cares if they starve?" I've seen that as a libertarian stereotype, but it's never, ever been the case.

I must just spend too much time around people who like to push my buttons!

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the flood is progress and the house is the old/traditional way.

FDG correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem with that is the assumption that everything that isn't traditional is progress. I can't think of anything more foolhardy.